One basic thing I don't understand...

#1Timelord2112Posted 2/5/2013 12:46:53 PM
I see 0 point in pairing up with anyone in this game at least at the beginning. All youre doing is losing an mportant mage or fighter or healer you need and putting them in an uncontrollable support role plus you get the same bonuses if youre simply standing in the square next to them anyway.

What am I missing?
#2GameNinjaGuyPosted 2/5/2013 12:47:47 PM
You don't get the massive stat boosts if you're just standing next to them
---
I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it!
#3Alty1Posted 2/5/2013 12:47:54 PM
You get more bonuses for pairing.
---
Uwe Boll makes terrible movies. Anyone who tells you otherwise is Uwe Boll - Seanbaby
http://theanteheroes.com/AceAttorneys/DamonGant.png
#4jayman7Posted 2/5/2013 12:48:08 PM
No, you do not get the same bonuses for just standing next to them. You get SOME bonuses, but fewer of them.

Also, the character in the back can't be attacked (at least unless the character in front dies).
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#5RenRen245Posted 2/5/2013 12:48:30 PM
Pairing gives bonus stats and protects the support, you can use it to make squishy characters have better defense by pairing whit a knight or save a wounded unit by pairing them whit a unit at full hp.
---
''A baby isen't like a golem, i can't make it all by myself !'' - Elena
#6Alty1Posted 2/5/2013 12:48:55 PM
Also, mobility. Pegasus/Knight parings and such.
---
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c82/Fuee/Artz0rion/BtVSFan2.jpg - SHOKANSTEIN
“Life is a journey. Time is a river. The door is ajar” - Jim Butcher
#7WinsagePosted 2/5/2013 12:49:27 PM
Play hard mode.
#8SkullramaPosted 2/5/2013 12:49:57 PM
Timelord2112 posted...
I see 0 point in pairing up with anyone in this game at least at the beginning. All youre doing is losing an mportant mage or fighter or healer you need and putting them in an uncontrollable support role plus you get the same bonuses if youre simply standing in the square next to them anyway.

What am I missing?

So for one, pairing up actually offers stat bonuses that you don't get from standing next to someone. Second of all, it can make it quite a bit easier for a weaker unit to survive long enough to gain levels. Donnel, for example, can't take a hit for beans when you first get him, but if you pair Frederic up with him, he gains a +4 to defense, making him a lot less likely to get one-shotted by everything on the map.

That said, if you're playing on normal, the enemies are weak enough that it's pretty much not necessary.
#9Timelord2112(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 12:53:30 PM
Skullrama posted...
Timelord2112 posted...

What am I missing?

So for one, pairing up actually offers stat bonuses that you don't get from standing next to someone. Second of all, it can make it quite a bit easier for a weaker unit to survive long enough to gain levels. Donnel, for example, can't take a hit for beans when you first get him, but if you pair Frederic up with him, he gains a +4 to defense, making him a lot less likely to get one-shotted by everything on the map.

That said, if you're playing on normal, the enemies are weak enough that it's pretty much not necessary.

But what good are bonuses when youre minus that character? Chrom's sister is super weak but I need her to heal. When paired that character has basically just become like an amulet or ring with bonuses and is no longer a playable character. The trade-off doesn't seem worth it.
#10TorajimaPosted 2/5/2013 12:54:40 PM
The point of pairing, is that if you've spent anytime improving support ranks at all, two characters paired will do much more damage (and can take more hits) then two characters separate.

As mentioned above, this is extremely useful when playing Hard/Classic. Might not matter in Normal or Casual.