One basic thing I don't understand...

#11Timelord2112(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 12:57:35 PM
Winsage posted...
Play hard mode.

Oh and I am... I may restart again to change to perma-death (I got annoyed after restarting the first real battle over 10 times and figured what's the point if Im just restarting when they die anyway...

Plus I dont get the idea of perma-death. Yeah it stings when you lose a beloved character I understand that but Final Fantasy Tactics (Arguably the best tactics game ever made) was plenty hard when a character died in battle. That character probably needed the XP so you could change jobs and you didnt have them to help you in that mission but at least they gave you a few turns to Phoenix Down them. A character randomly misses in a couple of attacks and an enemy gets a huge crit and automatically that character is no more. Seems pretty unforgiving.
#12Alty1Posted 2/5/2013 12:58:56 PM
Seems pretty unforgiving.

<_<

It's supposed to be.
---
http://i36.tinypic.com/23yqa.jpg - SHOKANSTEIN
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/2590/btvsfan01.png - Kazzus
#13arvilinoPosted 2/5/2013 1:03:13 PM(edited)
Timelord2112 posted...
Skullrama posted...
Timelord2112 posted...
I see 0 point in pairing up with anyone in this game at least at the beginning. All youre doing is losing an mportant mage or fighter or healer you need and putting them in an uncontrollable support role plus you get the same bonuses if youre simply standing in the square next to them anyway.

What am I missing?

So for one, pairing up actually offers stat bonuses that you don't get from standing next to someone. Second of all, it can make it quite a bit easier for a weaker unit to survive long enough to gain levels. Donnel, for example, can't take a hit for beans when you first get him, but if you pair Frederic up with him, he gains a +4 to defense, making him a lot less likely to get one-shotted by everything on the map.

That said, if you're playing on normal, the enemies are weak enough that it's pretty much not necessary.

But what good are bonuses when youre minus that character? Chrom's sister is super weak but I need her to heal. When paired that character has basically just become like an amulet or ring with bonuses and is no longer a playable character. The trade-off doesn't seem worth it.

There are a few exceptions, Lissa is better off not in a Pair-Up because her role doesn't really require it.

Though here's a hypothetical situation showing where it can be significantly more useful than not.

Frederick has 28 HP 14 defense to begin with. Lets say there is a group of enemies with exactly 20 attack against Frederick, He'd take 6 damage and die in 5 hits. Then lets say we have Kellum, 21 HP and 14 defense, he'd die in 4 hits.

Pair Kellum with Frederick. Frederick now has 19 defense and now those same enemies need to hit Frederick 28 times to actually kill him.
#14TorajimaPosted 2/5/2013 1:03:13 PM
Timelord2112 posted...

But what good are bonuses when youre minus that character? Chrom's sister is super weak but I need her to heal.

You answered your own question. Because she is super weak, you pair her with Frederick or another character with high defense. She gets a DEF stat boost, and can now take a hit or two. When she is in danger, switch back to Frederick and he gets improved magic resistance from her.

When paired that character has basically just become like an amulet or ring with bonuses and is no longer a playable character. The trade-off doesn't seem worth it.

Once their ranking is high (A or S), they will have a Dual Attack more often than not. Plus speed stat bonuses mean both characters may attack two times. Obviously, four attacks is better than two separate attacks.
#15WinsagePosted 2/5/2013 1:03:14 PM
Timelord2112 posted...
Winsage posted...
Play hard mode.

Oh and I am... I may restart again to change to perma-death (I got annoyed after restarting the first real battle over 10 times and figured what's the point if Im just restarting when they die anyway...

Plus I dont get the idea of perma-death. Yeah it stings when you lose a beloved character I understand that but Final Fantasy Tactics (Arguably the best tactics game ever made) was plenty hard when a character died in battle. That character probably needed the XP so you could change jobs and you didnt have them to help you in that mission but at least they gave you a few turns to Phoenix Down them. A character randomly misses in a couple of attacks and an enemy gets a huge crit and automatically that character is no more. Seems pretty unforgiving.

There's you're problem. You're playing casual mode, so it doesn't really hurt too much if a character goes down. Pair Up is pretty much mandatory in classic mode in order to keep people alive.
#16RenRen245Posted 2/5/2013 1:04:15 PM
Timelord2112 posted...
Skullrama posted...
Timelord2112 posted...
I see 0 point in pairing up with anyone in this game at least at the beginning. All youre doing is losing an mportant mage or fighter or healer you need and putting them in an uncontrollable support role plus you get the same bonuses if youre simply standing in the square next to them anyway.

What am I missing?

So for one, pairing up actually offers stat bonuses that you don't get from standing next to someone. Second of all, it can make it quite a bit easier for a weaker unit to survive long enough to gain levels. Donnel, for example, can't take a hit for beans when you first get him, but if you pair Frederic up with him, he gains a +4 to defense, making him a lot less likely to get one-shotted by everything on the map.

That said, if you're playing on normal, the enemies are weak enough that it's pretty much not necessary.

But what good are bonuses when youre minus that character? Chrom's sister is super weak but I need her to heal. When paired that character has basically just become like an amulet or ring with bonuses and is no longer a playable character. The trade-off doesn't seem worth it.

The point is instead of having 2 characters that will get themselves killed you have one strong character that can hold there own agaist bosses and bum rush.

Also lissa might be weak early game but she's one of the characters whit the highest late game potential..kind of like donnel but easier to level up.
---
''A baby isen't like a golem, i can't make it all by myself !'' - Elena