Features that work in Awakening, but don't in Sacred Stones?

#1HorithPosted 2/6/2013 5:05:43 PM
So thinking about it, Awakening has a lot of similarities to Sacred Stones. You have a world map you can travel, random encounters you can fight, a place where you can grind endlessly (Outerworld vs. Tower of Valni), branched promotion paths, and bonus characters that don't add anything to the actual story after you get them.

The question I have is why are those features lauded in Awakening, but generally disdained in Sacred Stones? Last I checked, people greatly disliked the Tower of Valni and random encounters because they offered the opportunity to grind past the difficulty, yet people here are recommending using the first DLC chapter to do exactly that. The bonus characters in SS are pretty craptacular with the exception of Leon (and even he's iffy), but they practically offer to drown us in them with Spotpass and DLC in Awakening, and few people complain.

Now I know a lot of this is going to pretty much be "Awakening did it better," but why? What makes it so much better in Awakening?

I think the biggest question I have here is Donnel. He has fantastic potential, similar to Ross, Amelia, and Ewan (though Donny probably has more, thanks to Aptitude). Yet the only one of the three SS trainees that's even remotely considered is Ross thanks to his early join time, while Donnel is being lauded as a god among units in FE if people just put the effort into him. The extra effort needed is exactly why Amelia and Ewan are considered terrible units, and Ross is iffy at best.
---
"Now when I tell you to ascend to a higher plane of consciousness, you say HOW HIGH SIR?" --Bucky Katt
#2MarthMoopaPosted 2/6/2013 5:10:31 PM
Because waifus
#3jonnovision1Posted 2/6/2013 5:11:27 PM
Tower of Valni doesn't require you to pay money to climb it and the only free DLC is pretty slow for grinding after promoting, while Valni continues to be worth grinding.

also Donnel has a very early join time as well, and I don't know about other people but I like Amelia as a paladin, Ewan is probably the only bad one because of his low con.
---
"Reinforcements? I am the Reinforcements."
PKMN Black FC: 0261 9500 8363
#4WinsagePosted 2/6/2013 5:17:07 PM
Horith posted...
So thinking about it, Awakening has a lot of similarities to Sacred Stones. You have a world map you can travel, random encounters you can fight, a place where you can grind endlessly (Outerworld vs. Tower of Valni), branched promotion paths, and bonus characters that don't add anything to the actual story after you get them.

The question I have is why are those features lauded in Awakening, but generally disdained in Sacred Stones? Last I checked, people greatly disliked the Tower of Valni and random encounters because they offered the opportunity to grind past the difficulty, yet people here are recommending using the first DLC chapter to do exactly that. The bonus characters in SS are pretty craptacular with the exception of Leon (and even he's iffy), but they practically offer to drown us in them with Spotpass and DLC in Awakening, and few people complain.

Now I know a lot of this is going to pretty much be "Awakening did it better," but why? What makes it so much better in Awakening?

I think the biggest question I have here is Donnel. He has fantastic potential, similar to Ross, Amelia, and Ewan (though Donny probably has more, thanks to Aptitude). Yet the only one of the three SS trainees that's even remotely considered is Ross thanks to his early join time, while Donnel is being lauded as a god among units in FE if people just put the effort into him. The extra effort needed is exactly why Amelia and Ewan are considered terrible units, and Ross is iffy at best.

Regarding grinding, no one has really put together a tier list yet. Once it really gets going, stuff like grinding will be frowned upon in the name of efficiency.

Regarding Donnel, he has a similar join time to Ross, but the main difference is that he's much, much stronger. Ross is pretty strong and can be a little better then the rest of your units if trained, but the time isn't really worth it. Donnel on the other hand can wipe an entire Hard mode map (and probably Lunatic too) single handedly, something that no other unit can do outside of genetically engineered Morgan(who's join time is worse).
#5prince_leoPosted 2/6/2013 7:43:41 PM
As far as trainees are considered in SS, Ross > Amelia > Ewan
The problem being, Garcia starts out better than Ross, your other cavaliers are better than Amelia*, and Ewan is way too late to be of use (not to mention, Lute, Artur, and Moulder are better).

*Franz is the best Cavalier. If you make Amelia a knight it gets iffy, but Gilliam isn't that bad. Generals are just awful due to their move though.
---
No man stands so tall as he who stoops to help a child.
http://i.imgur.com/VH2Nc.jpg - Young Leo has more swag than you
#6BTzzPosted 2/6/2013 7:48:40 PM
prince_leo posted...
As far as trainees are considered in SS, Ross > Amelia > Ewan
The problem being, Garcia starts out better than Ross, your other cavaliers are better than Amelia*, and Ewan is way too late to be of use (not to mention, Lute, Artur, and Moulder are better).

*Franz is the best Cavalier. If you make Amelia a knight it gets iffy, but Gilliam isn't that bad. Generals are just awful due to their move though.

Ugh, Garcia.

Dat 20% speed growth
#7prince_leoPosted 2/6/2013 7:51:45 PM
BTzz posted...
Ugh, Garcia.

Dat 20% speed growth

Worst in the game, I believe.
I'm not a fan of fighters and the ocean crest is best used for Colm, so it's all iffy really.
---
No man stands so tall as he who stoops to help a child.
http://i.imgur.com/VH2Nc.jpg - Young Leo has more swag than you
#8GuerillaGorillaPosted 2/6/2013 7:52:03 PM
I love General Amelia. There bad move is rectified with a simple Swiftsole. High HP, Def and very good attack with 7 move? Gimme. Amelia has pretty high speed too.
---
NNID: GuerillaGorilla
#9GuerillaGorillaPosted 2/6/2013 7:52:49 PM
prince_leo posted...
BTzz posted...
Ugh, Garcia.

Dat 20% speed growth

Worst in the game, I believe.
I'm not a fan of fighters and the ocean crest is best used for Colm, so it's all iffy really.

Fighters promote with hero crests. Pirates and thiefs promote with ocean crests.
---
NNID: GuerillaGorilla
#10SupremeZeroPosted 2/6/2013 7:53:38 PM
Also, nothing in SS is remotely worth the effort of grinding. Even if you don't grind, it's still pretty easy on hard. Awakening? Not only can it be hard, but there's the bull**** dlc chapters we don't have yet.
---
There's always hope for better things in life. But you can't let anything, friend, lover, God himself, be your hope. You have to be your own hope.