Why is Sacred Stones so hated?

#41SparkinfernoPosted 2/7/2013 2:36:25 AM
SS was a good game in it's own right.
Compared to all the other one's I've played (most in JP), SS stood out the most with it's memoriable recruits (and with branching paths, I had tons of fun with that). And I liked the grinding for another reason- Save/load support grinds just to see what kinda support speeches I got.
Eph and Eri weren't bad lords, Seth is a badass gentleman, love him more.
And for some reason... I felt that there's a lot of "Cute" support convos that made me smile.
Lastly- after final boss, I can still play the game and fight ruin bosses with low levels.
#42MunchkinatorPosted 2/7/2013 2:57:02 AM(edited)
Sacred Stones was very easy in general, yes, so anyone who wants a real challenge is not going to like it particularly well.

I personally have more fun with the supports and maxing characters, so it doesn't bother me in the least. Not like much is going to be hard when you have 20/20 characters before the end of the game anyways.

EDIT: and personally, SS had a number of my favorite FE characters. Not really sure why people talk about how they suck or whatever. Knoll, Marisa, Joshua, Ephraim was a total beast, and you could even unlock damn near every major story character/boss you'd fought as a character on your team! ...And a few who had been on your side/were dead anyways. If only they had allowed you to unlock Vigarde.
---
Another day, another unsuccessful genetic abomination!
#43ChibiXRikuPosted 2/7/2013 2:51:52 AM
ikilledkenny2 posted...
It's easy and the characters/story are pretty unmemorable

Knoll. You can't forget Knoll. Or Edwin.
#44Orochimaru024Posted 2/7/2013 3:31:15 AM
ChibiXRiku posted...
ikilledkenny2 posted...
It's easy and the characters/story are pretty unmemorable

Knoll. You can't forget Knoll. Or Edwin.

Disagree, completely forgot about them. Id say Ephraim(for his scene with Validar or w/e) Lute for being a cocky hoe with plenty of pwnage to back it up and then the guy with the hat who was a swordmaster.
---
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motomu_Toriyama
#45Kurama2Posted 2/7/2013 3:51:46 AM
FE8 is special to me, stop making fun of it :(
---
Leaf
#46HejiruPosted 2/7/2013 3:56:19 AM
It doesn't deserve all the hate it gets.
---
"The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction has to make sense." -Tom Clancy
#47supershyguy65Posted 2/7/2013 4:24:09 AM
A lot of FE8's criticisms are due to it coming after FE7, and random opinionated issues. I never understand why people dislike the characters. Eirika and Ephraim actually develop as characters, unlike Hector and Lyn. That being said, issues with optional grinding are valid, if a bit petty.
#48Julian_FPosted 2/7/2013 4:40:43 AM
I didn't hate FE8 but it was pretty low compared to the rest of the series for me.

I didn't really like the idea of fighting random monsters compared to people, and branched promotions, while a great concept, didn't really work that well for me, because in most cases, class a > class b, so I would just take one of the branches and forget the other one.

But then again, minus the branching issue which this game fixes with reclassing, it's funny that I love this game and found FE8 average. So I have to admit the most likely real reason for me is because it came out after FE7. ;/
#49SazukeEXPosted 2/7/2013 4:45:01 AM
It was a bit too easy and short. Those are my only complaints. Also, the route split was handled very poorly. It should have been a real one, not everyone goes with you no matter what but the other twin.
---
FE:A-MU/Olivia, Chrom/Sumia, Lissa/Vaike, Lon'qu/Cordelia, Gaius/Maribelle, Donnel/Nowi, Riveria/Sully, Panne/Stahl, Miriel/Ricken, Tharja/Henri, Cherche/Virion
#50WestbrickIIIPosted 2/7/2013 7:30:17 AM
supershyguy65 posted...
Eirika and Ephraim actually develop as characters, unlike Hector and Lyn.

I don't know about this. Lyn has the tension between her Sacaean birth and noble lineage, which she has to come to terms with. Hector has to deal with the death of his brother. What development do Eirika and Ephraim get in the main story? Eirika is a Mary Sue who begins naive and remains naive. Ephraim is similar to Lyn in that there's a tension between his lordly responsibilities and wanting to be free, but it's not as fleshed-out as Lyn.

Both sets of characters are developed primarily in support conversations, but in the main story, FE7 probably wins this one.
---
The only thing more consistent than the Pats beating the Texans is my mother's regret she survived childbirth, knowing she spawned a welcher