New to 3ds, if the 3d mandatory to gameplay?

#1GothmogzPosted 2/7/2013 8:04:22 AM
Hi, I'm about to buy a 3DS to play this game, is the 3d mandatory to play it or the gameplay isnt affected by deactivating it, if you can, can you also tell if there is any game which cant be enjoyed without the 3d active?, I really don't like to have 3d on.
---
Gamertag: Alehappy
#2RedMageKirbyPosted 2/7/2013 8:06:25 AM
To the best of my knowledge, every game plays just as well with the 3D off. I very rarely use it myself.
---
~RMK~
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[ ||||||||||||||||||||||||| ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
#3IlIlIlIlIlIlIlPosted 2/7/2013 8:11:41 AM
I don't think there's any 3DS game where the 3D is necessary. It's just neat is all.
---
|N|M|E|
#4hypermoePosted 2/7/2013 8:11:58 AM
Since 3d is optional there is no "need" to have it on. Its purely cosmetic, and just a wow factor. I have yet to play a game where i needed the 3d on, or thought to myself that this game is much better with 3d than without.
---
I walk alone in the universe as the last of The Time Lords!
#5KantonosoPosted 2/7/2013 8:15:12 AM
The vast majority of games work well without the 3D. In a lot of games, the 3D is little more than extra visual flair. In the category of the "3D adds nothing major," you get some games where the 3D does little (In New Super Mario bros 2, for instance, the 3D actually blurs the backgrounds and makes Mario stand out more - which is pointless) and some games where the 3D looks freaking fantastic (Like in Fire Emblem: Awakening.)

However, some games DO play better with the 3D, due to matters of perspective. One such example is Super Mario 3D land; I played through world 1 at my sister's, and there were some rooms specially marked for 3D where the different perspective flat out changes the entire solution. I'd also argue that the extra "depth" you can see in games like Kid Icarus helps aim weapons that aren't completely straight shots (such as arching lobs, etc.)

The 3D takes a lot of flak, but it's NOT a bad thing. The "sweet spot" nitpicking in particular is absurd. The way I've naturally held handhelds my entire life, I have about a 30 degree lenience to adjust the angle before I lose the 3D effect (while sitting upright. Admittedly lying down is trickier.) So if it happens to hurt your eyes or something, by all means feel free to turn it off, but don't feel the need to buy into the hate either. Try it a bit in every game and make your own opinion.
---
PSN: Ranylyn. Playing Mass Effect 3
Main class: Vanguard. Secondary Class: Engineer.
#6TheChronoMasterPosted 2/7/2013 8:16:29 AM
It looks good.

That's about it, for this game.

It means more in some other games.

Generally, I don't play with it above the halfway point on the slider -- that is comfortable to my eyes, and the illusion of depth created such enhances some aspects of the game.
#7rredsunsPosted 2/7/2013 7:46:40 PM
3d is amazing in this game. You are simply not getting the full experience or fun & immersion if not using 3d mode.