Random enemy critical's you near the end of a chapter, beautifull feelings

#1PhosphoricFlashPosted 2/7/2013 11:04:55 AM
And it's not even a boss or anything just some run of the mill hobo with an axe, you're literally within seconds of beating a chapter and then he pulls the magic show of a century and just decides to have a golden shower all over your efforts, not even counting all the times you had to reset before. Fire emblem. you know me too well, after all these years you still know how to piss me off the same the exact same way in every one of your games, that's dedication and commitment right there, keep the track record going I'll always love you for it. XOXOXOXO
---
See the lightning, miss the thunder
#2Gold SlimePosted 2/7/2013 11:09:29 AM
That is my #1 reason for playing games like this on casual mode. Doesn't help that I'm a magnetic for those late battle wrap up time crits that kill somebody on my team.
---
Slinky + Escalator = Endless Fun
#3meiyukiPosted 2/7/2013 11:13:25 AM
It's really great when something like that happens on lunatic after you've spent hours restarting a map and you think finally this time it worked, this time I've won. Nope, some jerk crits you, or a guy with an axe and 15% chance to hit kills your myrmadon, or some stupid wyvern rider has just enough movement ot get in range of your cleric and your unit with two attacks and a 35% chance to crit can't crit once and it survives with 1 hp.

I feel like dr. claw "I'll get you next time gadget, next time."
#4Puzzles99Posted 2/7/2013 11:13:43 AM
It's STRATEGY! You're supposed to use your IRL psychic powers to know where an ambush will spawn and 1-shot you on the same turn despite your units being otherwise placed safely.

It's just like chess, when your opponent is losing so they clap their hands and a meteor falls on your king and they instantly win the game.

STRATEGY! CLASSIC LUNATIC MODE OR NOTHING!!! CASUALS ARE RUINING FIRE EMBLEM! RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!
#5PhosphoricFlash(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 11:29:24 AM
Puzzles99 posted...
STRATEGY! CLASSIC LUNATIC MODE OR NOTHING!!! CASUALS ARE RUINING FIRE EMBLEM! RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!

Yes I'll be honest, after the first few chapters of Hard classic I've considered restarting on casual but I've gone too far to go back now, I've cleared a couple of those random encounter risen battles (which were just as difficult if not more so than a story chapter because the game curves the enemy level to be higher than yours) and thanks to those most of my units are now high leveled and not to mention I've come across a lot of those "killer" weapons that boost critical through the roof, so everything is slowly but surely feeling better.

there's a really bad stigmata associated with casual mode, I mean nothing's wrong with that, if anything it probably helps you to actually enjoy the game and not get so worked up and angry; sure I play on classic, but it doesn't make you less of a person if you decide to go casual.
---
See the lightning, miss the thunder
#6IlIlIlIlIlIlIlPosted 2/7/2013 11:31:51 AM
PhosphoricFlash posted...
and then he pulls the magic show of a century and just decides to have a golden shower all over your efforts

I just wanted to say this is the most beautiful euphemism I've read all day
---
|N|M|E|
#7RyoKaibaPosted 2/7/2013 11:42:43 AM
There's very few times when I truly feel like some of the stuff happening in the game is my fault. when 3 enemies blast one of my units in a row with a 29% chance to hit each time, I call hax
---
"Hate the sin, love the sinner. But sometimes it's hard to look past all that sin and find the person behind it." -Joshua Graham; Fallout: NV
#8BedsheetGhostPosted 2/7/2013 11:46:14 AM
Puzzles99 posted...
It's STRATEGY! You're supposed to use your IRL psychic powers to know where an ambush will spawn and 1-shot you on the same turn despite your units being otherwise placed safely.

I don't think anyone's argued that Fire Emblem isn't 70% strategy, 20% luck.
---
My karma ran over your dogma.
#9meiyukiPosted 2/7/2013 11:50:29 AM
RyoKaiba posted...
There's very few times when I truly feel like some of the stuff happening in the game is my fault. when 3 enemies blast one of my units in a row with a 29% chance to hit each time, I call hax

Even though something like that is bull, and as much as I hate the rng I actually think the percents are fairly accurate. I'm playing on lunatic and I can generally count on lon'qu to take out axe users and dodge them regularly, and friedrick with the correct weapon can destroy the correct enemies etc. Yeah I get screwed by the rng at times, but 30% chance to hit still isn't 0 so it has to connect sometimes.
#10DragonDeoxysPosted 2/9/2013 8:47:54 AM
Hahaha that was funny as hell. I feel you TC, but the way you described it made me laugh.

After finishing Radiant Dawn and coming back to the FE world two or three years since then, I've been greeted by the usual troubles of an srpg player. I get crit'd when the enemy has 2%, miss when I have 90%, enemy hits when they have 20%, just....wonderful.
---
Black FC: 4126 5167 3147
Black 2 FC: 0562 5475 2074