Am i ruining some of the fun by restarting if a character dies?

#1M DAMAGEPosted 2/8/2013 12:56:50 AM
Long post ahead, get out now if you dont have the time.

I'm kinda new to the fire emblem series and have only played the GCN one and a gba one. Boy have I been missing out if this game is any indication-- this is one of the best (if not THE best) SRPGs i've ever played.

Anyway, I like a challenge and am no stranger to SRPGs, so i jumped right into hard/classic. After losing a couple units along the way and subsequently restarting the battle to save them from the clutches of death, I began to wonder... am I kind of ruining the game by doing this?

The concept of perma death for units is awesome in many ways. I love that it really makes the battles exciting, cultivates an attachment to your units, and adds a HUGE amount of replayability to the game overall. However, I grow so attached to everyone that I restart whenever I lose one.

Do you think this actually ruins the fun factor in some way? I guess i'm looking for answer from FE veterans, but anyone is welcome to post.
#2jonnovision1Posted 2/8/2013 12:58:13 AM
a lot of people restart on death in classic mode, you're not alone.
---
"Reinforcements? I am the Reinforcements."
PKMN Black FC: 0261 9500 8363
#3alexchernPosted 2/8/2013 12:58:49 AM
Well, I guess it depends. FE veterans actually swing both ways. They'll either reset like crazy to establish a crazy strong army, or they'll see how far they can run without resets in Hector Hard Mode.
---
FC BLACK
4040 5313 0933
#4FF_4everPosted 2/8/2013 12:59:10 AM
No. IMO you are actually having more fun cuz more living pple = more pple to play and more supports = more everything = happpiness
#5ArreiPosted 2/8/2013 12:59:13 AM
Many people do the exact same thing because it's more fun for them to plan their tactics around making sure every single person survives. Do what you want.
#6impossible2beatPosted 2/8/2013 1:01:32 AM
I don't know its your fun and your game, but why did you play on classic, if you were going to do that, there is no shame in playing casual, regardless of what people here will say. If you dont find permadeath fun, don't play that option, especially if you aren't going to use it anyway. This is like my 2nd fire emblem, im playing on classic and up to chapter 15 and have not lost anyone, if you play a lot of other SRPGs I dont see loosing people frequently. This game is massively easier than a lot of SRPGS A LOT.
---
signature
#7jonnovision1Posted 2/8/2013 1:04:57 AM
impossible2beat posted...
I don't know its your fun and your game, but why did you play on classic, if you were going to do that, there is no shame in playing casual, regardless of what people here will say. If you dont find permadeath fun, don't play that option, especially if you aren't going to use it anyway. This is like my 2nd fire emblem, im playing on classic and up to chapter 15 and have not lost anyone, if you play a lot of other SRPGs I dont see loosing people frequently. This game is massively easier than a lot of SRPGS A LOT.

because knowing you'll restart and possibly waste 30 minutes to an hour+ of your time if someone dies is still enough incentive to be careful and not let anyone die. while on Casual you'd probably just shrug it off.
---
"Reinforcements? I am the Reinforcements."
PKMN Black FC: 0261 9500 8363
#8impossible2beatPosted 2/8/2013 1:08:01 AM
jonnovision1 posted...
impossible2beat posted...

because knowing you'll restart and possibly waste 30 minutes to an hour+ of your time if someone dies is still enough incentive to be careful and not let anyone die. while on Casual you'd probably just shrug it off.

sure, but it still defeats the purpose of permadeath, and shruging it off during casual, is exactly the same as starting over, magically reviving a character.
---
signature
#9lurking222Posted 2/8/2013 1:08:51 AM
No its actually really hard to make it through the game if you don't reset. I suggest you plan a no reset run in the future because those are pretty fun and you won't get demolished by reinforcements as easily.
#10Amine Hsu NekuchanPosted 2/8/2013 1:09:05 AM
It's fine, you still have to complete the level without anyone dying which is it's own challenge. I just kinda lik the pressure to complete each level like that. If I was playing casual and someone died on the last turn or something, I'd be tempted just to move on, but on Classic I'd go back and try to beat it keeping everyone alive.
---
"Traduce" in English means to expose to shame by means of falsehood; "Violate""Malign."
Nintendo does that too, only they call it localization.-NuoTrainer