Am i ruining some of the fun by restarting if a character dies?

#11ZBug_Posted 2/8/2013 1:09:07 AM
jonnovision1 posted...
impossible2beat posted...
I don't know its your fun and your game, but why did you play on classic, if you were going to do that, there is no shame in playing casual, regardless of what people here will say. If you dont find permadeath fun, don't play that option, especially if you aren't going to use it anyway. This is like my 2nd fire emblem, im playing on classic and up to chapter 15 and have not lost anyone, if you play a lot of other SRPGs I dont see loosing people frequently. This game is massively easier than a lot of SRPGS A LOT.

because knowing you'll restart and possibly waste 30 minutes to an hour+ of your time if someone dies is still enough incentive to be careful and not let anyone die. while on Casual you'd probably just shrug it off.

THIS^
---
"I've never in my life wanted to punch a girl like I want to right now" Light Yagami
3DS FC 3995-6522-2067 (PM me so I can add you back)
#12Amine Hsu NekuchanPosted 2/8/2013 1:14:00 AM
jonnovision1 posted...
I don't know its your fun and your game, but why did you play on classic, if you were going to do that, there is no shame in playing casual, regardless of what people here will say. If you dont find permadeath fun, don't play that option, especially if you aren't going to use it anyway. This is like my 2nd fire emblem, im playing on classic and up to chapter 15 and have not lost anyone, if you play a lot of other SRPGs I dont see loosing people frequently. This game is massively easier than a lot of SRPGS A LOT.

because knowing you'll restart and possibly waste 30 minutes to an hour+ of your time if someone dies is still enough incentive to be careful and not let anyone die. while on Casual you'd probably just shrug it off.

sure, but it still defeats the purpose of permadeath, and shruging it off during casual, is exactly the same as starting over, magically reviving a character.

I don't quite get this, to me, it feel like you are saying the equivilent of "If you game over in a game you should throw out/delete the game and stop playing forever or delete your save or something similarly extreme because doing otherwise defeats the purpose of Game Over".

(note: I'm not saying you're objectively wrong or something, just how it comes across to me)
---
"Traduce" in English means to expose to shame by means of falsehood; "Violate""Malign."
Nintendo does that too, only they call it localization.-NuoTrainer
#13jonnovision1Posted 2/8/2013 1:15:16 AM
jonnovision1 posted...

sure, but it still defeats the purpose of permadeath, and shruging it off during casual, is exactly the same as starting over, magically reviving a character.

it's not the same as starting over because shrugging it off doesn't waste your time.
---
"Reinforcements? I am the Reinforcements."
PKMN Black FC: 0261 9500 8363
#14impossible2beatPosted 2/8/2013 1:18:23 AM
Amine Hsu Nekuchan posted...
jonnovision1 posted...

I don't quite get this, to me, it feel like you are saying the equivilent of "If you game over in a game you should throw out/delete the game and stop playing forever or delete your save or something similarly extreme because doing otherwise defeats the purpose of Game Over".

(note: I'm not saying you're objectively wrong or something, just how it comes across to me)

No, because im not saying there anything wrong with doing that, im not like others here who think casual shouldnt be in the game. You took what I said as if im saying your doing it wrong by doing X. Im saying sure absolutley if at the end of a battle a random crit kills your character, start over, and if you dont want characters to die play casual. Im saying that if your going to reset the game instead of deal with the consequences of permadeath what is the point of it.
---
signature
#15ArreiPosted 2/8/2013 1:41:57 AM(edited)
No, because im not saying there anything wrong with doing that, im not like others here who think casual shouldnt be in the game. You took what I said as if im saying your doing it wrong by doing X. Im saying sure absolutley if at the end of a battle a random crit kills your character, start over, and if you dont want characters to die play casual. Im saying that if your going to reset the game instead of deal with the consequences of permadeath what is the point of it.

Then you're not seeing the whole picture here.

Losing a unit forever is only one of two consequences of permadeath.

The other is effectively getting a Game Over every time we lose ANYONE.
#16ZBug_Posted 2/9/2013 6:01:45 AM
jonnovision1 posted...

Not really the same thing, most people (myself included) consider it game over when a unit dies. In casual mode because you don't have to restart the chapter, you're essentially making it so you never get game over. (Unless you lord dies, which is almost never)
---
"I've never in my life wanted to punch a girl like I want to right now" Light Yagami
3DS FC 3995-6522-2067 (PM me so I can add you back)
#17Huff n puff 20Posted 2/9/2013 6:08:12 AM
No, you're being a normal FE player.
---
Think a NEXT will save you from BETA? Think again.
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8572968/1/Project-Ignition
#18BedsheetGhostPosted 2/9/2013 6:29:52 AM
What you describe is very common among FE players, TC.
---
My karma ran over your dogma.
#19MajorasMask9Posted 2/9/2013 6:48:14 AM

This isn't really a Casual vs Classic topic. However the point in playing Classic, as other people have said, is that playing through the game with the mentality that every unit needs to stay alive is completely different from playing through the game understanding that it's ok for your units to die, since they'll be back later. I remember doing a Shadow Dragon run recently where I needed some units to die in order to access the side-chapters, and my strategy was completely different knowing that I had to get certain units killed.
---
Fierce Diety Link is the best Link people who agree: 128
#20robinhoekPosted 2/9/2013 6:54:42 AM
Arrei posted...

Then you're not seeing the whole picture here.

Losing a unit forever is only one of two consequences of permadeath.

The other is effectively getting a Game Over every time we lose ANYONE.

This. Both types of game are extremely fun to play but I normally consider it a game over when a unit dies the first time through and later playthroughs I will play it through with permadeaths. Casual has its benefits too. After beating lunatic plus normally I will likely do a casual run with the knowledge that I can use weaker units to bait the enemies.