Starting to realise that this game does not play like past Fire Emblem games...

#1ThEBMaNPosted 2/8/2013 12:28:51 AM(edited)
Playing in Hard Classic mode, and just playing through Chapter 1 it is apparent that this game is very different from previous Fire Emblem games. I'm so used to piddling along, basically marching my units forward methodically in a defensive stance, focusing on using the weakest weapons to kill units in the most hits in order to maximize experience, and it is becoming a bit apparent that this is a bit harder to do in this game. Mainly because jesus... I dont know if the percentages for criticals are right but my avatar has gotten critical'd for more than his max HP for 4 game overs in a row now with literally a 1/20 chance of a critcal. Never ever had any problem breezing through previous FE games using this strategy because to be honest, they werent difficult. WTF is this garbage?
---
"HAVE YOU...OR HAVE YOU NOT.....HEARD.....ABOUT.....THE BIRD?"
#2ArreiPosted 2/8/2013 12:31:04 AM
You're sending your Avatar into situations where he has a 5% chance to be criticaled?

Man, that's just ASKING for an RNG screw.

Also we've never been supposed to try to take as long as possible to kill each enemy... if you don't cut them down efficiently, you WILL get overwhelmed.
#3ThEBMaN(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 12:54:44 AM
As if you have much chance of having anything less in Chapter 1 with the mages. Lets get real now.
---
#4FF_4everPosted 2/8/2013 12:56:49 AM
Arrei posted...
You're sending your Avatar into situations where he has a 5% chance to be criticaled?

Also we've never been supposed to try to take as long as possible to kill each enemy... if you don't cut them down efficiently, you WILL get overwhelmed.

what he said.
I take it you have never done arena grinding? i send my unit into arena. 99% hit rate. misses. enemy has 10% hit and 5% crit. I get hit. i die.
#5ThEBMaN(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 12:58:58 AM
That being said, im having a REEEEEALLY hard time breaking my habit of wanting good level ups with this classic mode stuff. POR spoiled the living **** out of me with the save anywhere thing that they introduced in that game. Ever since ive been saving before level ups and now I cant STAND a bad one. Have reset a total of 6 times now on friggin chapter 1 cus I can't get over it. I did NOT want to do casual mode but now I am seriously debating it... someone please give me some advice to get rid of my greed for good level ups so I can just enjoy classic mode like its supposed to be played.

I also can't shake playing for experience. Its obvious that I could absolutely blow thru Chapter 1 without any consideration for maxing exp gains and just pairing and blah blah and this is without using Frederick, but again, old habits die old and this game is literally screaming at me to break them. Man what a huge change from previous FE games...
---
#6FF_4everPosted 2/8/2013 1:00:56 AM
ThEBMaN posted...
That being said, im having a REEEEEALLY hard time breaking my habit of wanting good level ups with this classic mode stuff. POR spoiled the living **** out of me with the save anywhere thing that they introduced in that game. Ever since ive been saving before level ups and now I cant STAND a bad one. Have reset a total of 6 times now on friggin chapter 1 cus I can't get over it. I did NOT want to do casual mode but now I am seriously debating it... someone please give me some advice to get rid of my greed for good level ups so I can just enjoy classic mode like its supposed to be played.

I also can't shake playing for experience. Its obvious that I could absolutely blow thru Chapter 1 without any consideration for maxing exp gains and just pairing and blah blah and this is without using Frederick, but again, old habits die old and this game is literally screaming at me to break them. Man what a huge change from previous FE games...

Re-class. Get max stats. No resets. I've been where you are, in SD H5. reset so much that my 12 man final party actually had almost max stats on everyone. Not fun
#7IlluminaZer0Posted 2/8/2013 1:01:18 AM
@OP

I'm not surprised as FE12's hard was surprisingly difficult as well. I am pleased to hear that it is just getting more difficult... Assuming we ignore the existence of "normal" that is. Gahahaha!

Time to hide away from the forums now.
---
Official claimant of Mem Aleph for the theoretic cause of promoting Shin Megami Tensei IV of the 3DS.
#8ThEBMaN(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 1:02:49 AM
Arrei posted...

what he said.
I take it you have never done arena grinding? i send my unit into arena. 99% hit rate. misses. enemy has 10% hit and 5% crit. I get hit. i die.

I have, just been quite a while since ive played the GBA FE games on their actual console and not had save states to back me up. Ive gotten spoiled rotten by them and POR and its save anywhere goodness. I remember when POR first came out and I noticed you could save anywhere without saves being wiped and I was like oh my ******* god its a miracle! I remember enjoying the living hell out of FE7 and its reset bull after hours of grinding in a level but I think maybe ive grown more fond of the casualness that casual may offer.... im looking for someone to give me a good reason why I shouldn't restart in casual mode. Will it haunt me later on? Will I be missing out on some enjoyment in later chapters using it?
---
#9EchoPhoenixPosted 2/8/2013 1:05:04 AM
There's infinite level ups in this game because you can keep changing classes.
#10FF_4everPosted 2/8/2013 1:06:22 AM
honestly, there is no good reason. whatsoever. the only reason to play classic and lunatic and stuff is for the challenge. some people like it, others don't. take me for example. KH BBS. I played on critical. Then proud, but I proud was too easy compared to critical and i lost motivation to finish that playthru