Why are Fire Emblem stories so...bland

#21Tatakai-No-KamiPosted 2/8/2013 3:14:25 PM
kamikaze135 posted...
The story in this game is utter garbage and way too cliche. I could see a ton of potential, but I find myself at chapter 23, trying to force myself to finish this. I definitely won't be picking up anymore FE games after this. The gameplay is great and all, but it's just not enough to keep my attention. If it at least had some interesting characters....

the characters are usually what gets people to enjoy the story more
#22PentaoPosted 2/8/2013 3:21:40 PM
I think the children characters are pretty amusing and interesting. I do feel like this Fire Emblem is playing a bit more with some Anime tropes though.

Severa is very tsundere. Her Japanese voice reflects this a lot, as she says a lot of typical tsundere lines (though she's missing the biggest one, lol).

Tharja is very yandere. Owain seems to be under the idea of "chuunibyou" (basically some guy who thinks he's special or a cut above with special powers or something). Kellam is the "completely unnoticed" character, etc.

That aside, seeing Frederick be absurdly obsessive with Chrom's status is actually pretty funny and unexpected, as I thought he'd just be the typical "mentor serious business" character. Then he goes about talking about posters of Chrom naked save for a sword and scale to rally the troops.
---
"Religion keeps pressing B when we try to evolve." - pirategeorge"
[Pokemon White FC: 3568 1441 4376 (Pentao)]
#23djmh13Posted 2/8/2013 3:22:42 PM
If it ain't broke don't fix it
---
3ds FC: 1263-5506-7234
HM:ANB Zephyr Echo Farm
#24kamikaze135Posted 2/8/2013 3:24:00 PM
Tatakai-No-Kami posted...
kamikaze135 posted...
The story in this game is utter garbage and way too cliche. I could see a ton of potential, but I find myself at chapter 23, trying to force myself to finish this. I definitely won't be picking up anymore FE games after this. The gameplay is great and all, but it's just not enough to keep my attention. If it at least had some interesting characters....

the characters are usually what gets people to enjoy the story more

Idk...I just don't really find them all too appealing. Can you guys possibly recommend a FE game? I'd rather try at least one or two more before tossing the series aside like that =x
---
This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time -Tyler Durden
#25ArreiPosted 2/8/2013 3:24:44 PM(edited)
If you try to give every character a different personality you pretty much can't avoid hitting at least some archetypes.

I mean, Gerome is Batman.
#26Super SlashPosted 2/8/2013 3:26:27 PM(edited)
RD's story isn't nearly as enjoyable if you play it before PoR. When you play them in order, you see all the connections and such in RD and it makes it quite a bit better. Plus you'll have a better understanding of the characters from PoR and will feel more attachments to them.
#27Meifumado9Posted 2/8/2013 3:29:56 PM
kah posted...
snowflake182 posted...
wolfei132 posted...
fire emblem games generally just start out slow. near the middle of the game it picks up, and the ending was really gripping, to me at least.

QFT I loved the build up to the end game, but I gotta say the TC sounds like he doesn't like JRPG's in general, the dialogue is usually fairly campy in them.

He'd probly like obsidian written games.

Not necessarily true. I love SRPGs, and they usually have better storylines than their JRPG counterparts. Off the top of my head, FFT, Tactics Ogre,

Tactics Ogre went downhill after a point seeing as how the final battles featured you fighting a pair of joke antagonists and ghost man. And there is Kachua who is, yeah.

FFT wasn't that great either since you end up fighting angel lady in bondage gear.

Not that this is game is necessarily all that great either.
#28king_darksPosted 2/8/2013 3:37:38 PM
kamikaze135 posted...

Why are you trying so hard to bash this game? It sad watching you blur the line between opinion and fact.
---
School days are back.
#29kamikaze135Posted 2/8/2013 3:47:24 PM
king_darks posted...
kamikaze135 posted...

Why are you trying so hard to bash this game? It sad watching you blur the line between opinion and fact.

I'm asking for people to recommend me more FE games because maybe this just isn't the one for me. Also, this is a forum where people express their opinion so you can't take everything people say as fact. That's just how I feel about the game - my opinion. Deal with it.
---
This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time -Tyler Durden
#30Mujika1991Posted 2/8/2013 3:52:22 PM
Hahahahaha, Bland..Cool Story Bro..