One thing I never really liked about Fire Emblem.

#1TwilightWolf000Posted 2/8/2013 2:41:19 PM
Almost every main character and important story characters are Noblemen or Royalty. I honestly don't enjoy that. I understand why it is, but my god it just irks me.

I think that's why Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn are my favorite Fire Emblem games. The main character is just a sellsword who is swept up into the fate of an entire continent. The scene in Begnion where Ike basically tells the Senate "F*** you and F*** your politics" is my favorite scene.

It's a minor complaint and one that is entirely my own opinion, but I just enjoy stories where it's just a simple guy who gets pushed into something so much greater then himself. Not where Royalty goes traipsing off on an adventure instead of ruling their country.
---
GT: TwilightWolf000 PSN: SquireRamza
Black 2 FC: 1206 7052 5893
#2ArreiPosted 2/8/2013 2:42:38 PM
As far as I'm aware, Fire Emblem's the only series that consistently has royal main characters... don't we have enough heroes from lowborn origins, then?
#3NettoSaitoPosted 2/8/2013 2:44:36 PM
Although I'd like to see some more "normal people" as well, I do think it's a bit more realistic.
---
3DS FC - [1203-9218-7780] | XBL - [NettoSaito] | PSN - [NettoSaito] | Nintendo Network - [NettoSaito]
My Backloggery - http://www.backloggery.com/NettoSaito
#4Teh_MaimedPosted 2/8/2013 2:46:32 PM
Fire Emblem is set on the Middle Ages, and even before that (FE7). The second most powerful would be kings and lords etc (the first would be the clergy) so it makes sense that an army would be commanded by an obviously higher rank in the social pyramid.

Btw, as I learned from my Ancient History course most of the FE area names actually have existed, such as Etruria

If anything it's also the typical FE archetypes. Ike was just the first to break that really
---
UMVC3 Trish/Morrigan/Phoenix ; Morrigan/Trish/Doom ; Morrigan/Doom/Phoenix
#5pikachupwnagePosted 2/8/2013 2:46:58 PM
NettoSaito posted...
Although I'd like to see some more "normal people" as well, I do think it's a bit more realistic.

Yup. Although there are plenty of "Normal people" who join your army. Sellswords and thiefs, villagers and whatnot.
---
Pokemon generation six! All aboard the hype train! http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd101/Mauduin2/HypeTrain.png Walhart-Low prices. Everyday. On Everything
#6DarkAres_02Posted 2/8/2013 2:49:12 PM
Arrei posted...
As far as I'm aware, Fire Emblem's the only series that consistently has royal main characters... don't we have enough heroes from lowborn origins, then?

This. Most other games have you play as some low-class person fighting against "the terrible royalty" or whatnot.
---
Waiting for: SMT x Fire Emblem, Pandora's Tower, and The Last of Us
Official Relm Arrowny of the Dissidia 012: Duodecim boards
#7Tatakai-No-KamiPosted 2/8/2013 2:51:44 PM
is there a problem with being a lord?

besides, most of the lords you play as usually mention that they arent the most aristocratic and arent really suitable for it except for the fact that its in their blood.
#8DemiseEndPosted 2/8/2013 2:52:32 PM
To be honest, Leaf story was more like a villager who for some reason is trusted by the civillian for the war of liberation after he manage to escape from a prison.

So, Leaf was kinda the first Lord who has different form of a story in comparison to every other lord(Ike is in fact kinda Archetypical because he essentialy inherits the group, although being a Mercenary he is radically different)
---
Real Metal bounces their breast. Deal with it
#9steroidz_da_pwnPosted 2/8/2013 2:53:38 PM
Leaf is a prince...
---
Not changing this sig till Jack Swagger (won) and Evan Bourne win world titles.
Started 1/1/09
#10kyatteiPosted 2/8/2013 2:54:46 PM
I know arguing about realism is kind of a moot point in a video game... but, back in medieval times, someone being able to afford a suit of plate armour was about as difficult as it is nowadays for someone to afford a jet. Having a royal or noble lead would make funding the army's equipment and wages much easier....
---
3DS: 4167 - 5242 - 9297 || PSN: sparrowgirl
http://backloggery.com/kyattei