To those complaining about the lack of meaningful choices in the plot...*spoils*

#1WestbrickIIIPosted 2/8/2013 11:13:58 PM
In once sense, it's definitely true that the player lacks choice throughout the game. You can't choose to save Emmeryn. You can't choose whether or not Lucina kills you. The list goes on; any time a Yes/No prompt appears, the choice turns out to be meaningless.

But what if this was intentional? The major theme of the game is rallying against destiny, and throughout the campaign, your efforts prove fruitless. Emmeryn dies. Walhart and Gangrel die. Wars rage on. Grima is resurrected. Yet those small changes you manage to make give you the upper hand against Grima, and only once destiny is finally overcome are you able to make a meaningful choice: whether or not to sacrifice yourself to destroy Grima. When I opted to sacrifice myself after the final battle, I was genuinely surprised that this turned out to be an actual option; those previous false choices act as a kind of misdirection against the biggest decision in the game.

So what are your thoughts? Is the lack of meaningful choice a case of lazy writing, or a thematic effort to drive home your lack of control against the flow of destiny?
---
The only thing more consistent than the Pats beating the Texans is my mother's regret she survived childbirth, knowing she spawned a welcher
#2xanderfoxPosted 2/8/2013 11:18:50 PM
Ok I'll say it. A lot of the choices if they were meaningful would mean Game Over and since this game has no new game + mode (not that it needs it mind you) I think I'm ok with them only changing the story slightly.
#3GnosblaxPosted 2/8/2013 11:25:15 PM
In some ways, the choices are meaningful. No, you can't save Emmeryn, but choosing not to sacrifice her gets you some different dialogue. It shows that you're still optimistic, that you still have hope. It's meaningful, but moreso as a character-building choice.

WestbrickIII posted...
Emmeryn dies. Walhart and Gangrel die.

Until the DLC comes out. :P
#4azn_boy150Posted 2/8/2013 11:25:48 PM
I actually cover this issue in my review, which I just finished writing, and now I see this topic. XD
---
I'm my own best friend and worst enemy. Often at the same time.
PSN: azn_boy150
#5WestbrickIII(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 11:26:15 PM
Walhart's actually a zombie in Spotpass. Either way, those maps aren't exactly canon!
---
The only thing more consistent than the Pats beating the Texans is my mother's regret she survived childbirth, knowing she spawned a welcher
#6WestbrickIII(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 11:29:19 PM
azn_boy150 posted...
I actually cover this issue in my review, which I just finished writing, and now I see this topic. XD

What specifically do you say in that review?
---
#7kohlrak2Posted 2/8/2013 11:36:09 PM
could be space issues, too. those choices tend to come with video feeds. When writing to the card and are pinching data to get it to fit, those would probably be my first target as well.
#8azn_boy150Posted 2/8/2013 11:36:28 PM
WestbrickIII posted...
azn_boy150 posted...

What specifically do you say in that review?

I just complained about how excluding the final one, the choices make only minor differences in the story, and doesn't affect the gameplay in any way. I also continued to say that the lack of meaningful choices undermines the whole idea of letting us insert ourselves into the game with our own character.

The review will be submitted on Monday when we can submit detailed reviews. I'd submit it now as a full review, but a 1700+ word review seems like overkill for that category.
---
#9WestbrickIII(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 11:40:07 PM
kohlrak2 posted...
could be space issues, too. those choices tend to come with video feeds. When writing to the card and are pinching data to get it to fit, those would probably be my first target as well.

Given how much content Awakening has, I doubt it was a matter of space. The only two choices that make sense are a) laziness (and not wanting to deal with possible branching paths) or b) a thematic point.

And azn, I don't suppose you could spoil the score of your review?
---
#10azn_boy150Posted 2/8/2013 11:45:37 PM
WestbrickIII posted...
kohlrak2 posted...

Given how much content Awakening has, I doubt it was a matter of space. The only two choices that make sense are a) laziness (and not wanting to deal with possible branching paths) or b) a thematic point.

And azn, I don't suppose you could spoil the score of your review?

9/10 If I could use decimals, I would've gone with a high 8 or a very low 9.

Keep in mind that I'm pretty harsh with reviews. Any score I give should be taken with a bit of skepticism.
---