Explain the commonly stated idea that this game is balanced around permadeath.

#1imthestuntmanPosted 2/9/2013 3:05:11 PM
Given that a good player will not lose units regardless, so therefore the player will have units leveled about the same.

I do understand the sentiment that people play on casual to sacrifice their units at will, but if a person approaches casual the same way strategy wise that they would on classic, how is it different?

Looking for a real answer and not just some elitist nonsense with no real explanation..
#2IntegnosPosted 2/9/2013 3:39:16 PM
The game is NOT balanced around permadeath. People confuse XCOM with the Fire Emblem series.

Fire Emblem is balanced around the idea that if you use strategies that sacrifice your units to achieve victory, the difficulty will spike up in later due to lack of units. The idea of victory through sacrifice vs. victory through bonds is reiterated in every Fire Emblem plot.(see MU's support with Virion for an example)

But now I have to ask.... if you reset on Casual everytime one of your units dies, then why not just play on Classic?
#3guedesbrawlPosted 2/9/2013 3:42:12 PM
well,sometimes you might lose a unit at the very end of a long chaper,or you might want to use battle save to try a riskier strategy.
---
Confession Time!
jRPGs are pretty much the best thing that ever happened to Video Games - Soanevalcke6
#4imthestuntman(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 4:50:38 PM
guedesbrawl posted...
well,sometimes you might lose a unit at the very end of a long chaper,or you might want to use battle save to try a riskier strategy.

not seeing how this is relevant to the game being balanced around permadeath? explain more?
#5Scout_TaronPosted 2/9/2013 4:56:50 PM
If you're using the exact same strategies that you would on Classic, that means you would have to reset every time a unit dies. Otherwise, you're circumventing the punishment for bad planning. If you do that, it doesn't really matter, except that you lose the choice to allow a unit to die.
#6imthestuntman(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 4:57:45 PM
what i mean is if permadeath does not affect your strategy (meaning you behave the same way) how is it relevant to balance? if in a freak accident my unit dies at the end of a chapter permadeath does not matter from a balance standpoint, so how is the game balanced around it? that unit still being present as if it had not happened does not affect the games balance any different than had i restarted the chapter and done everything the same except accidentally mis-positioning one unit or a low hit percent double hit k-oing my unit.

this is in regards to balance. not in regards to whether or not permadeath is part of the spirit of the game or if only bad people play casual.
#7imthestuntman(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 4:59:44 PM
Scout_Taron posted...
If you're using the exact same strategies that you would on Classic, that means you would have to reset every time a unit dies. Otherwise, you're circumventing the punishment for bad planning. If you do that, it doesn't really matter, except that you lose the choice to allow a unit to die.

so my strategy being optimal, but say 5 units in a row hitting my unit all of them having less than a 40% hit percentage this means i should be punished for it? if it truly was a bad strategy i am perfectly fine with being punished, but if its just some freak accident of numbers i dont understand the need.
#8LightHawKnightPosted 2/9/2013 4:59:59 PM
imthestuntman posted...
what i mean is if permadeath does not affect your strategy (meaning you behave the same way) how is it relevant to balance? if in a freak accident my unit dies at the end of a chapter permadeath does not matter from a balance standpoint, so how is the game balanced around it? that unit still being present as if it had not happened does not affect the games balance any different than had i restarted the chapter and done everything the same except accidentally mis-positioning one unit or a low hit percent double hit k-oing my unit.

this is in regards to balance. not in regards to whether or not permadeath is part of the spirit of the game or if only bad people play casual.

Do you not know what strategy even means? Without permadeath you don't even need strategy.
---
The Official Odin of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
"You know how confusing the whole good-evil concept is for me."
#9arvilinoPosted 2/9/2013 5:02:56 PM(edited)
imthestuntman posted...
guedesbrawl posted...

not seeing how this is relevant to the game being balanced around permadeath? explain more?

On Casual as long as the two main characters survive the chapter you can do whatever you wish. For example In a kill boss chapter on Casual you can afford to charge everyone on a bee-line for the boss or just sacrifice any unit to draw the boss closer to your group(e,g, chapters 19 and 20) or just have any number of character suicide on a boss until you take it down.

Much like the approaches between difficulty settings are usually different, there's a big difference between how you can play and successfully beat a chapter on Classic in comparison to Casual. If you're playing the same way as classic you don't really understand or are at least not acknowledging the full extent of the advantages you're given in casual.
#10imthestuntman(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 5:01:41 PM
LightHawKnight posted...
imthestuntman posted...

Do you not know what strategy even means? Without permadeath you don't even need strategy.

explain that. seriously just explain it to me. what does strategy mean. how does removing permadeath remove strategy if it does not affect how i move my units at all.