RNG changing trick no longer working in this game??

#11StarWarsguy1Posted 2/10/2013 1:37:54 AM
ThEBMaN posted...
Lol I can relate to that. My first FE experience was FE7 and my god, what frustration I went through in that game! I was ready to throw my GBA up against the damn wall after many deaths. I absolutely would never let anyone die, which led to many resets and MUCH longer playtime. I think I played it for close to a year during my down time before I completed everyone's quests on hard mode. Granted I didn't have lots of downtime with full time work and the family. Even so, it prolonged the experience and ended up being one of the greatest gaming experiences I've ever had. At this point in my life though, I don't think I want to go through the stress that game caused. I'd rather just play in casual I think.

Heh, I actually have thrown my GBA at the wall while playing Fire Emblem before.
#12SharperKnivesPosted 2/10/2013 2:01:37 AM
Arrei posted...
Not that it's "cheating", really, but the a big part of the reason to reset when you lose a unit is to punish yourself for failure. Without that aspect of failure, losing a unit in casual mode is just "Aw, dang." instead of "OH CRAP NO NO NO".

i had to restart a mission 4 times because the RNG screwed me on the LAST. HIT. of the last enemy, and he killed someone. 4 times. classic is stupid
---
People should not fear their governments, governments should fear their people.
#13MoonLightCloudPosted 2/10/2013 2:44:38 AM
I definitely see those points, however in practice the game definitely does have a different feel in casual vs classic. The experience in classic really is more intense and the feeling that every move matters is much more apparent. It is a more exciting experience. In casual the experience is just that... much more casual, more ho hum. Some of the "punch" of the game is lost. On the flip side, in casual you save yourself the extreme frustration when things don't go right, which isn't a matter of if, its a matter of when. Playing in classic, you ARE going to have characters die and will have to reset. You might not have anyone die in normal mode but as far as I'm concerned normal mode doesn't exist.

Totally agree with this.

Playing Classic, you know there is a chance of death and you know death either means restarting everything or losing a character forever.
In Casual, you know your characters will die, but you laugh at it as long as it's not MU or Chrom.

Anyway, I remember in one of the earlier missions of Path of Radiance (where Black Knight first shows up), I had to reset a couple times (first time from not knowing Black Knight would spawn and own people, second time from losing Oscar right at the end of the chapter. I had like 2 enemies left and I forgot how, but Oscar died. The feeling from that moment is forever ingrained in my mind lol.
#14aamotPosted 2/10/2013 3:12:59 AM
Classic brings with it the fear that you'll have to restart and do it all over again (if you choose to restart after deaths). It reminds me a lot of the old Resident Evils, where tension is high because you're out of health and haven't found a type writer for like 2 hours, lol.

Casual is the equivalent of respawning in the room you died in. No fear or punishment, but a focus on fun and enjoying the game.
---
"I dare you to make less sense."
#15ThEBMaN(Topic Creator)Posted 2/12/2013 1:11:15 AM
Anyway, I remember in one of the earlier missions of Path of Radiance (where Black Knight first shows up), I had to reset a couple times (first time from not knowing Black Knight would spawn and own people, second time from losing Oscar right at the end of the chapter. I had like 2 enemies left and I forgot how, but Oscar died. The feeling from that moment is forever ingrained in my mind lol.

Wasn't POR the first game to allow you to save anywhere in a battle without the save being wiped on a reload? May be mistaken but if memory serves correctly (which is very fuzzy admittedly) this was the case.
---
"HAVE YOU...OR HAVE YOU NOT.....HEARD.....ABOUT.....THE BIRD?"
#16ThEBMaN(Topic Creator)Posted 2/12/2013 1:13:05 AM
Classic brings with it the fear that you'll have to restart and do it all over again (if you choose to restart after deaths). It reminds me a lot of the old Resident Evils, where tension is high because you're out of health and haven't found a type writer for like 2 hours, lol.

Casual is the equivalent of respawning in the room you died in. No fear or punishment, but a focus on fun and enjoying the game.

Couldn't have put it better myself. In my younger years I would have stood for the insanity that is Classic mode, but I think with life's inconveniences nowadays I will enjoy the game in Casual mode and not apologize for it. I may get slightly less out of the experience but life dictates that this is the best I can get which I will gladly take.
---
#17imthestuntmanPosted 2/12/2013 1:16:47 AM
ThEBMaN posted...
Well... even more reason to play in classic mode I suppose. I'm noticing in Casual mode that victories don't feel nearly as fulfilling... I almost feel like I'm cheating. anyone else get that too?

it depends. if you approach it essentially the same as classic... im on 15 now and to be honest the only reason i am unhappy with choosing casual is i feel like it puts an asterisk on the playthrough even though i wouldnt have lost a unit yet on classic... and have yet to use battle save... i just chose it because i thought hard would be... well a lot harder and take more planning than just sitting back and getting rushed.
#18imthestuntmanPosted 2/12/2013 1:18:46 AM
ThEBMaN posted...

Couldn't have put it better myself. In my younger years I would have stood for the insanity that is Classic mode, but I think with life's inconveniences nowadays I will enjoy the game in Casual mode and not apologize for it. I may get slightly less out of the experience but life dictates that this is the best I can get which I will gladly take.

this is a good outlook on it, ive gotten to the point where i really do just try to enjoy my games, and dont play them to seek the next challenge.

to that end i will end up playing this at least 2 more times, next time lunatic casual, followed by lunatic classic.

after that i will do lunatic+ casual. i doubt i will ever do it on classic though.
#19ThEBMaN(Topic Creator)Posted 2/12/2013 1:41:38 AM(edited)
ThEBMaN posted...

this is a good outlook on it, ive gotten to the point where i really do just try to enjoy my games, and dont play them to seek the next challenge.

to that end i will end up playing this at least 2 more times, next time lunatic casual, followed by lunatic classic.

after that i will do lunatic+ casual. i doubt i will ever do it on classic though.

Good luck with that last one. Lol I imagine even on casual that one will give you fits. Even lunatic classic will give everyone but the most absolute hardened vet hours of frustration I imagine. That's just what I am hoping to avoid with my initial Hard Casual playthrough and it is panning out quite well thus far. It's amazing how much less the difficulty is when you can save anywhere. We may say it's not cheating but I'll be damned if it doesn't feel like it. Even so, it doesn't even matter to me. I am enjoying the experience and do not miss the hard core gaming experience while utterly rewarding above what I am experiencing now, I have left that part of gaming a while ago as the above poster mentioned. I can relate bro/broette.
---
#20lordlichPosted 2/12/2013 2:26:08 AM
Save scumming is no different then playing casual,you do not get the results you want you restart and play the battle over,if you really wanna play classic do not restart when somebody dies,unless it is a forced game over. When you plass chess you cannot restart because you lose a piece you wanted,you learn from it and move on.
---
IN THE END,THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!.