Man, this scene always gets to me every time I get there... (Ch. 9 spoilers)

#1alexchernPosted 2/10/2013 1:35:24 AM
This is probably one of the better chapters in terms of story, and probably helps make FE:A have one of the better plots in the series. This is a bit of analysis of the story, so it's a bit long-winded.

First is when you defeat the map, you're so damn pumped up (I know I was when my Barbarian Vaike demolished that General with a Hammer). You begin the assault to rescue Emmeryn from death, summoning Phila and her Pegasus Knights and... promptly watch them get slaughtered by Risen archers. See, I figured Phila was like Isadora from FE:BS, the royal bodyguard who eventually joins your party, but we see this resistance effort immediately quashed. It was probably one of the more horrifying twists I've seen. But there was still more.

Then the game prompts you with Sophie's choice: sacrifice Emmeryn or save her. What's great about this is that it represents the hopeless of this scene. There is in no way for you to save Emmeryn. And the fact that you are asked to make a choice have the characters suddenly freeze in their places, stuck by this moral dilemma that would eventually kill them.

Then, no matter what happens, Emmeryn makes the choice for you. She pleads to the people of Plegia about the horrors of war, and martyrs herself to not only save her family, but to incite rebellion in the Plegian ranks, showing them the true costs of war.

As her body slowly falls, there's nothing you can do but watch Chrom slowly walk up to her crumpled form, before relunctantly leaving her and Phila's body to the Mad King in order to make a hasty retreat.

I'm on a second playthrough on Hard Classic, and yet this scene...man.

(I am aware that she hasn't really died, but, for the sake of the story let's pretend Paralogue 20 never happens)
---
FC BLACK
4040 5313 0933
#2SlashReturnsPosted 2/10/2013 1:39:20 AM
I must agree.

And the music and emotions on the next map....gets me every time TT_TT
---
3DS Friend Code: 2466-1384-6130
#3Robot_SoopaPosted 2/10/2013 1:40:18 AM
The next chapter is also one of the best in the series in terms of atmosphere.
#4WestbrickIIIPosted 2/10/2013 1:42:27 AM
The SpotPass Paralogues aren't canon anyway, so the scene still holds great emotional weight.

And yeah, you can't say enough good things about this chapter and (especially) Chapter 10. That music, that atmosphere, that Mustafa.
---
The only thing more consistent than the Pats beating the Texans is my mother's regret she survived childbirth, knowing she spawned a welcher
#5insane_pyro74Posted 2/10/2013 1:43:19 AM
I've only played FE Shadow Dragon, PoR, RD, and Awakening, but it seems like every game has the pure tragic princess character.

Princess Nyna, Princess Enlincia, and now finally Emmeryn, and Emmeryn is my favorite of the three.
---
"Eat safe, use condements."- Me http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/gentopic.php?board=918069
#6MarthMoopaPosted 2/10/2013 1:44:23 AM
and probably helps make FE:A have one of the better plots in the series

It's worse than Sacred Stones
#7pariah164Posted 2/10/2013 1:44:49 AM
That chapter got me right in the feels, bro.
---
The Original Pari - Accept Nothing Less (Innocent Until Proven Evil)
Keeping this in my sig until a new Phoenix Wright game is released in the US!
#8WestbrickIIIPosted 2/10/2013 1:46:26 AM
MarthMoopa posted...
and probably helps make FE:A have one of the better plots in the series

It's worse than Sacred Stones

This is silly. Sacred Stones is honestly just "Kill the Demon King lol." At least this game sports a couple of massive wars and notable subplots.
---
The only thing more consistent than the Pats beating the Texans is my mother's regret she survived childbirth, knowing she spawned a welcher
#9DemiseEndPosted 2/10/2013 1:46:37 AM
they are called Nyna archetype for a reason

Although the supposed to be "Nyna" in FE4 is much less tragic than some other characters
---
Real Metal bounces their breast. Deal with it
#10insane_pyro74Posted 2/10/2013 1:47:56 AM
DemiseEnd posted...
they are called Nyna archetype for a reason

Although the supposed to be "Nyna" in FE4 is much less tragic than some other characters

Oh thanks. I knew there was a Cain and Able, and Jaegan archtypes. Didn't realize there was an Nyna one too.
---
"Eat safe, use condements."- Me http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/gentopic.php?board=918069