Why did they cheap out on the voice acting?

#1kahPosted 2/10/2013 12:30:29 PM
You are already paying for people to come into the studio...then you just have them record a series of grunts and generic lines to go alongside text? It reeks of amateur. Are voice actors really that expensive? I mean the amount of dialogue in this game is so small it would take a person what, 3 hours, 4 hours tops to do a major character's role?

So you can't pay a dozen people a day's pay to do some voiceover work? How much are you really saving since you had to hire them to do voices anyway? Hell, if I was a VA and had to fly somewhere for a gig I would just offer to do the voices at a discount. So weird to just half-ass it this way.
#2EmblemWarriorPosted 2/10/2013 12:31:38 PM
ANd how much voice acting are they going to cram onto one cart/Download?
---
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
#3RyoKaibaPosted 2/10/2013 12:31:54 PM
It's rather impressive for a handheld. If you don't realize that then... well, no helping you.
---
"Hate the sin, love the sinner. But sometimes it's hard to look past all that sin and find the person behind it." -Joshua Graham; Fallout: NV
#4RedMageKirbyPosted 2/10/2013 12:33:11 PM
It's the style they went with, it's not cheaping out. It's fairly common in voiced RPGs.
---
~RMK~
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[ ||||||||||||||||||||||||| ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
#5SalsaSavantPosted 2/10/2013 12:34:42 PM(edited)
1st of all, you can customize your character, and give him/her different names.
2nd, it would take weeks for some characters. Look at the sheer number of supports for MU.
3rd, keep the download small.
4th, it's a common style in RPGs.
5th, this is pretty standard for handhelds.
---
Not changing this until something impossible happens
Started 12/02/12
#6RaltriosPosted 2/10/2013 12:33:56 PM
Very few FE games have had voices of any kind. I'm grateful for what we've got here as it adds another layer of depth and personality to the characters. Though I admit it does throw me off when they 'say' one thing and 'text' another...
---
3DS FC: 3050 - 7604 - 7991
#7rhys855Posted 2/10/2013 12:35:53 PM
RyoKaiba posted...
It's rather impressive for a handheld. If you don't realize that then... well, no helping you.

This.

If i recall we have numerous AAA voice actors for both English and Japanese.
---
Official Kisame of the NUNS3 Boards
#8BlackBloodDragoPosted 2/10/2013 12:36:38 PM
Kid Icarus has amazing voice acting(best voice acting on a handheald ever!), they sure as hell didn't cheap out on that, they could've done the same here.
---
New 3DS (old one was stolen with all my games....) FC: 3480-3950-4456
Drill Arm Dentist at your service :P
#9Paradox421Posted 2/10/2013 12:38:56 PM
BlackBloodDrago posted...
Kid Icarus has amazing voice acting(best voice acting on a handheald ever!), they sure as hell didn't cheap out on that, they could've done the same here.

Right, but Kid Icarus doesn't have lots of beautiful cutscenes that probably take up a majority of the cartridge space.
---
"Do you remember the episode where Ash caught a Pumbloom?"
"Dude!--" "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
#10FujibayashiSuzuPosted 2/10/2013 12:39:55 PM
BlackBloodDrago posted...

I somehow doubt Kid Icarus has the sheer amount of dialogue that FE has. Just think about it for a second - for Robin alone - you have 3 support ranks with EVERY CHARACTER IN THE GAME. 4 with those of your opposite gender.