Why did they cheap out on the voice acting?

#21BlackBloodDragoPosted 2/10/2013 1:07:12 PM
FujibayashiSuzu posted...
BlackBloodDrago posted...
Kid Icarus has amazing voice acting(best voice acting on a handheald ever!), they sure as hell didn't cheap out on that, they could've done the same here.

I somehow doubt Kid Icarus has the sheer amount of dialogue that FE has. Just think about it for a second - for Robin alone - you have 3 support ranks with EVERY CHARACTER IN THE GAME. 4 with those of your opposite gender.

You haven't played kid icarus have you? The amount of dialogue is really impressive, they're pretty much talking most of the time when playing a chapter, I will agree that fire emblem does have more dialogue, but actual voice acting? Not by a mile.
---
New 3DS (old one was stolen with all my games....) FC: 3480-3950-4456
Drill Arm Dentist at your service :P
#22RyoKaibaPosted 2/10/2013 1:09:02 PM
fueled-system posted...
RyoKaiba posted...
It's rather impressive for a handheld. If you don't realize that then... well, no helping you.

Devil Survivor Overclocked is basically like this game and had 100% voice acting...

Devil Survivor Overclocked also used the same graphics that the regular DS version used, and doesn't use 3D models. And uses the same 12 maps throughout the entire game save for a select few.
---
"Hate the sin, love the sinner. But sometimes it's hard to look past all that sin and find the person behind it." -Joshua Graham; Fallout: NV
#23LightHawKnightPosted 2/10/2013 1:10:49 PM
Kid Icarus has amazing voice acting(best voice acting on a handheald ever!), they sure as hell didn't cheap out on that, they could've done the same here.

I somehow doubt Kid Icarus has the sheer amount of dialogue that FE has. Just think about it for a second - for Robin alone - you have 3 support ranks with EVERY CHARACTER IN THE GAME. 4 with those of your opposite gender.

You haven't played kid icarus have you? The amount of dialogue is really impressive, they're pretty much talking most of the time when playing a chapter, I will agree that fire emblem does have more dialogue, but actual voice acting? Not by a mile.

Uh the point is to have a lot more dialogue and if that was VAed with all the different choices, it would cost too much and there is the space to worry about.
---
The Official Odin of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
"You know how confusing the whole good-evil concept is for me."
#24podracer35Posted 2/10/2013 1:12:23 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#25podracer35Posted 2/10/2013 1:14:19 PM(edited)
Well, I do appreciate that they included voice actors at all. (And good ones at that!) But I agree that they could have added a little more to the library of things said per character. Space is certainly not a majoy issue, since carts can go up to 4 or 8 GB. (The game is only just over 1GB, going based off the download.)

But then, the limit may have been placed to make it easier for people to download. If the game was closer to 2GB, I'm sure people would be complaining about horrendously long download times. -__-
---
http://i46.tinypic.com/28lvyvc.jpg Bum, bum, buh-da-dum, Ba-dah-dah-dada Iroh man.
3DS Friend Code: 0903-3152-6750
#26Bear_in_ActionPosted 2/10/2013 1:16:55 PM
Paradox421 posted...

Right, but Kid Icarus doesn't have lots of beautiful cutscenes that probably take up a majority of the cartridge space.

Just curious, what about Professor Layton?
#27Lusankya1Posted 2/10/2013 1:25:12 PM(edited)
RyoKaiba posted...
It's rather impressive for a handheld. If you don't realize that then... well, no helping you.

It's not impressive. Virtue's Last Reward basically has full voice acting. There is also more than enough space on the 3DS cards. The FE:A download from the eShop is only 1.1 GB but even the very first 3DS cards can hold up to 2GB.
#28BlueFir3Posted 2/10/2013 1:30:04 PM
Honestly, for me, i think it kinda gives a little more personality with the style of VA they did here. Theres some dialogue here that emphasize an accent or a dialect, but some voices dont entirely match it. So if it was fully voice acted, it probably sound way off character.

Plus, I'd rather here Virion say, "All. Hail. ME!" numerous times than let all his words voiced. I have this itching feeling that I'd slowly be annoyed by him if he was.

Although, there were some games that had full VA which i believe was a good decision. Virtue's Last Reward, Kid Icarus, Resident Evil Revelations (maybe not the best example..).
#29guedesbrawlPosted 2/10/2013 1:32:13 PM
"you can call me marth

really?

no."

be glad we got this.
---
Confession Time!
jRPGs are pretty much the best thing that ever happened to Video Games - Soanevalcke6
#30airtamisPosted 2/10/2013 1:36:45 PM

Uh, what is your point? We just said that Fire Emblem has way more dialogue than Kid Icarus.