Why did they cheap out on the voice acting?

#51LeanaunfurledPosted 2/10/2013 3:54:55 PM
They would have to cut the ability to change your name, have a silent protagonist, or have some kind of generic term to refer to the MU. Any of those would cut immersion more, IMO.

And that's just what would need to change to voice the main story. All the supports would probably take up way too much space. Think about it: 6 MU VAs, who support with EVERYONE. That alone is probably far more than the amount of voice acting that would be in the main story.

If we fully acted the story and not the supports, people would have the same complaint and have more justifications.

It's best to leave it as is.

it isn't a question of all or nothing. Someone right above you gave a great example of VAs done with a player-named protagonist, and they easily could have done voicework for just the main and sidequests and left the supports as just text. And no, people wouldn't have the same complaint, since we would then have more voicework, and that's what they're asking about.
---
Not removing this sig until Bravely Default:Flying Fairy is localized.
http://i.imgur.com/atFfl36.png
#52impossible2beatPosted 2/10/2013 3:57:47 PM
THIS, and here is an example Persona 4 Golden, social links which are like supports just far more detailed and longer are not voiced except for the end. Yet the entire story is voiced, in that game you also pick a name for your protagonist.
---
signature
#53Rideps1Posted 2/10/2013 3:59:11 PM
Leanaunfurled posted...
They would have to cut the ability to change your name, have a silent protagonist, or have some kind of generic term to refer to the MU. Any of those would cut immersion more, IMO.

And that's just what would need to change to voice the main story. All the supports would probably take up way too much space. Think about it: 6 MU VAs, who support with EVERYONE. That alone is probably far more than the amount of voice acting that would be in the main story.

If we fully acted the story and not the supports, people would have the same complaint and have more justifications.

It's best to leave it as is.

it isn't a question of all or nothing. Someone right above you gave a great example of VAs done with a player-named protagonist, and they easily could have done voicework for just the main and sidequests and left the supports as just text. And no, people wouldn't have the same complaint, since we would then have more voicework, and that's what they're asking about.

Yeah they would still complain, because they wouldn't have this to compare to. We have non VA'd older FEs to compare to right now, and we are still complaining aren't we?

And while I know it is possible to not use the name and have played several games where that is the case, that does not make it preferable. What is the point of naming your own character if it seems like no one even KNOWS your name?
---
BEHOLD THE POWER OF SARDINES!
#54LeanaunfurledPosted 2/10/2013 4:05:22 PM
Yeah they would still complain, because they wouldn't have this to compare to. We have non VA'd older FEs to compare to right now, and we are still complaining aren't we?

You're aware people b**** about anything in games, right, and the people in one group complaining aren't the people in another group? They'll complain when there's zero VA, they'll complain when it's minimal, and people will complain (some even in this topic said it already) when it's FULL voicework. It's impossible please an entire fanbase, and while I don't mind the VA how it is right now, I will admit it's ridiculous that they hire good voicework and they don't show it off.

And while I know it is possible to not use the name and have played several games where that is the case, that does not make it preferable. What is the point of naming your own character if it seems like no one even KNOWS your name?

Like the other person said, while in the same room with someone, how often do you actually USE their name? Because I sure as hell don't, people I talk to don't. That's weird. It's very easily sidestepped, as Dragon Quest VIII proves wonderfully, or would you prefer to have Microsoft Sam step in to call your player MU, TharjaIsHawt, by name?
---
Not removing this sig until Bravely Default:Flying Fairy is localized.
http://i.imgur.com/atFfl36.png
#55jonnovision1Posted 2/10/2013 4:21:12 PM
Rideps1 posted...

no they wouldn't, even parts of this game where a line is otherwise fully-voiced just skips speaking your name while still appearing in dialogue
---
"Reinforcements? I am the Reinforcements."
PKMN Black FC: 0261 9500 8363
#56SmugglinMooglesPosted 2/10/2013 4:36:21 PM
Literally only read up to "You're already paying people to come into the studio" and the credibility, if any ever existed, was shot.

I'm guessing the rest of your rant involved you not understanding voice acting paychecks, especially that of English VAs on a lucky-to-be-released-overseas-game.
---
My arms hang like wet ropes.
#57Pyro76Posted 2/10/2013 4:48:33 PM
SmugglinMoogles posted...
Literally only read up to "You're already paying people to come into the studio" and the credibility, if any ever existed, was shot.

I'm guessing the rest of your rant involved you not understanding voice acting paychecks, especially that of English VAs on a lucky-to-be-released-overseas-game.

Agreed.

Fire Emblem's status was niche outside Japan before the game got the hype as much as it did, so you can't blame NIntendo for taking caution to the wind.

What if Nintendo did all this work and Fire Emblem was still not appreciated by people that didn't follow the game to begin with? It would have been all for naught.

Luckily with the success of this game, we can breathe easy knowing that Nintendo has many people recognizing the Fire Emblem name even more than before and that Intelligent Systems can invest more into a bigger and better Fire Emblem in the future.
---
Sin & Punishment - Star Successor Record Holder (Stage 7)
Currently playing: Fire Emblem: Awakening, Xenoblade Chronicles
#58thompsontalker7Posted 2/10/2013 5:34:46 PM
Omegatron_ posted...
They could/should have voiced the entire main story line. I wouldn't expect the support conversations to be voiced.

This.

What's the point of getting people like Laura Bailey, Yuri Lowrenthal, Stephanie Sheh, Matthew Mercer, and other top-tier VAs just to have them do sound bites and the such?
---
Not removing this until Dr. Dre's Detox album is out. 11/22/08
THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK THY HAND IN TV, DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT!
#59outsideboxdudePosted 2/10/2013 5:37:10 PM
They could barely fit all the audio for Shin Megami Tensei Overclocked onto the 3DS, and FE has more dialogue, and larger stuff.
#60thompsontalker7Posted 2/10/2013 5:39:12 PM(edited)
RyoKaiba posted...
It's rather impressive for a handheld. If you don't realize that then... well, no helping you.

SMH

Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy had full VAs for almost two dozen characters that had all story roles and cutscenes, and for the record, it was around the same size as Fire Emblem.

Persona 4 Golden has more VA in an hour of gameplay than FE:A does the entire game.

Hell, even the DS Call of Duty games managed to pack a large amount of VAing into the DS's puny game carts, so file size is not the problem here.
---
Not removing this until Dr. Dre's Detox album is out. 11/22/08
THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK THY HAND IN TV, DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT!