Why did they cheap out on the voice acting?

#61Lusankya1Posted 2/11/2013 6:50:40 AM
Pyro76 posted...

Fire Emblem's status was niche outside Japan before the game got the hype as much as it did, so you can't blame NIntendo for taking caution to the wind.

What if Nintendo did all this work and Fire Emblem was still not appreciated by people that didn't follow the game to begin with? It would have been all for naught.

Luckily with the success of this game, we can breathe easy knowing that Nintendo has many people recognizing the Fire Emblem name even more than before and that Intelligent Systems can invest more into a bigger and better Fire Emblem in the future.

If Fire Emblem is a niche game what does it make out of Virtue's Last Reward?

VLR is as niche as it gets, was developed by a small studio and published by a small publisher in the US, still it got basically full voice acting and has a huge amount of text.

While I don't blame FE:A for having only a few lines of voice acting, it certainly isn't impressive at all.
#62Gamemaster64Posted 2/11/2013 7:14:36 AM
I thought the game had VA and thought it was too much to do the silent Avatar. If it all just sfx then they could have done the silent avatar.
---
Not much of potato he said but potato he wrote.
#63EntrydeniedPosted 2/11/2013 9:12:03 PM
kah posted...
You are already paying for people to come into the studio...then you just have them record a series of grunts and generic lines to go alongside text? It reeks of amateur. Are voice actors really that expensive? I mean the amount of dialogue in this game is so small it would take a person what, 3 hours, 4 hours tops to do a major character's role?

So you can't pay a dozen people a day's pay to do some voiceover work? How much are you really saving since you had to hire them to do voices anyway? Hell, if I was a VA and had to fly somewhere for a gig I would just offer to do the voices at a discount. So weird to just half-ass it this way.

Voice actors are usually paid b y the number of lines/words they have to say and not by the day or hour. So yes, more voiced lines literally means more costs. Doesn't matter if they take 3 days or 3 hours to do the recording.
---
Formerly Known As runedh
#64TodasmilePosted 2/11/2013 9:34:26 PM
Entrydenied posted...
kah posted...
You are already paying for people to come into the studio...then you just have them record a series of grunts and generic lines to go alongside text? It reeks of amateur. Are voice actors really that expensive? I mean the amount of dialogue in this game is so small it would take a person what, 3 hours, 4 hours tops to do a major character's role?

So you can't pay a dozen people a day's pay to do some voiceover work? How much are you really saving since you had to hire them to do voices anyway? Hell, if I was a VA and had to fly somewhere for a gig I would just offer to do the voices at a discount. So weird to just half-ass it this way.

Voice actors are usually paid b y the number of lines/words they have to say and not by the day or hour. So yes, more voiced lines literally means more costs. Doesn't matter if they take 3 days or 3 hours to do the recording.

Depends. For League of Legends I've heard that they get paid by the hour with a three-hour minimum or something. The person being interviewed had done commercials and stuff and never really mentioned that this was "unusual".
---
I lol'd. Literally. I said "lol" out loud. ~ KasaiAisu1
Bold things are usually important... and distracting.
#65kah(Topic Creator)Posted 2/14/2013 3:46:08 PM
bump
#66Rideps1Posted 2/14/2013 3:51:16 PM
Why?
---
BEHOLD THE POWER OF SARDINES!
#67HarvestrOfSoulsPosted 2/14/2013 3:55:26 PM
As said, Virtue's Last Reward has (with exception to the puzzle sequences) two full audio tracks for their game even on the 3DS version. For those who do not know, Virtue's Last Reward is basically a visual novel. This means the quantity of voiced lines is significantly more than the average game. That did not stop Aksys from fully dubbing the game while keeping all of the original Japanese tracks in.

While I am not commenting one way or the other on my opinion of the Fire Emblem Awakening voice decisions in general, the idea that there IS a lot of voice acting in the game, or that space issues were any indication for what we ended up with is beyond preposterous. More than likely, this is simply the style they chose to adopt for the game.
---
PSN ID: Berselius
XBOX LIVE ID: HarvestrOfSouls
#68billyu5Posted 2/14/2013 4:01:46 PM
It's Nintendo... Have you played Nintendo games before?