Critical Hits within the Fire Emblem series are largely a double-edged sword

#1deathisajerkPosted 2/10/2013 2:03:22 PM
The one problem, the only one problem I've ever had with Fire Emblem as a series is that Critical Hits deal three times the normal damage as opposed to a more reasonable two times damage.
While I love the fact that you can one-shot a boss with a killer weapon intentionally or with a weaker one that was meant to help break the boss down to your surprise, I feel that at the same time I hate losing a hero because an enemy had a 1% chance to critical hit on me and one shots your hero.

This mostly never applies for the later game enemies seeing as starting out you have a large number of weaker teammates leveling up while you almost always start a FE game with a cavalier or a tank to thin out the crowd for your heroes until finally they're strong enough to take a critical from at least a grunt enemy.

I truly feel that in this game it should be generally accepted for you to save scum on the higher difficulties, I just wish I didn't have to do it right after I almost beat a level and lose my best non-main character. This is just my bit of input, having a great time with the new Fire Emblem.

tl;dr wish criticals dealt less damage, still my favorite srpg
---
Liquid Nitrogen is dangerous because it can freeze anything in seconds, which begs the question... Will it blend?
#2deathisajerk(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2013 2:16:36 PM
Dang this topic bumped down quickly.
---
Liquid Nitrogen is dangerous because it can freeze anything in seconds, which begs the question... Will it blend?
#3guedesbrawlPosted 2/10/2013 2:17:25 PM
we are used to it.
---
Confession Time!
jRPGs are pretty much the best thing that ever happened to Video Games - Soanevalcke6
#4laundrysucksPosted 2/10/2013 2:38:09 PM
I hate when you are counting on NOT killing an enemy character so you can slow down the enemy and get some healing in.

..and then you get a critical.
---
Not changing until Big Show AND Rey Mysterio are both permanently gone from WWE. 10/28/2011
#5ssj4supervegetaPosted 2/10/2013 2:40:49 PM
only thing i hate is like "ok so now this char will get hit but not die, but then the enemy will be blocking all the other ones from hitting it!"

then she crits it kills it and leaves herself wide open for another attack...

it sucks when that happens :c
---
LoL summoner: Vejitables
Bromaciaaaaaaaaaaaa!
#6moe44Posted 2/10/2013 2:57:54 PM
ssj4supervegeta posted...
only thing i hate is like "ok so now this char will get hit but not die, but then the enemy will be blocking all the other ones from hitting it!"

Yep! I'm pretty sure I've actually died more in past FEs from my units doing a critical than the enemies doing one.
#7peter_888Posted 2/10/2013 2:58:58 PM

THIS SO MUCH THIS
---
I'm a gamer dang it, not a pc gamer or a console gamer, just a gamer.
#8x_lone_x_wolf_xPosted 2/10/2013 3:08:44 PM

I've never played this series before but this is the first thing that I noticed that bugged me. I'd kill an enemy, another comes rolling up, kill him, here's comes another, my unit dies :(
---
"He's dead! I love him.... Oh he's breathing.... Loser!"
#9ZhiharkPosted 2/10/2013 3:11:40 PM

Pretty much yeah.

I also killed Walhart by critical magic via MU every time because I wasn't expecting him to move. Missed out on all that experience :|
#10ahoythere4Posted 2/10/2013 3:12:53 PM
I just started this game today and got crit to death FOUR TIMES in the friggin PROLOGUE MISSION. GAKOSHFJASHFOJSAHF:OASJFDO