What happened to good level design in Fire Emblem?

#1MarthMoopaPosted 2/11/2013 12:03:38 AM
Not once has this game made me really think about how I approach my enemies. I don't even need to keep track of bows/wind because triple damage of an already insignificant number is still insignificant.

The map layouts and enemy placements are mindless. They're just there, and I approach them and kill them. There is no need to think about how I do this, because there is no risk due to enemies being weak and in poor formation.

This game wouldn't have been completely terrible if it had intelligent level design like Thracia: levels that make you THINK about what you should do, because if you just rush it, the enemies kill you.

But meh, this game is boring as all hell now thanks to lazy Gaiden-style level design.
#2imthestuntmanPosted 2/11/2013 12:06:50 AM
The thing that annoys me is most maps early on seem to have all the enemies rush you all with rout as the objective. Never thought id miss carefully positioning my units to take on a guy on a thrown.
#3DoctorPiranha3Posted 2/11/2013 12:09:37 AM
...just a few days ago on CE, you said this is a top tier game. You flip flop more than a f***ing politician.
---
It's like every topic you post in becomes filled with either sensual energy or "pent up sexual frustration". ~ SurfingVaporeon, on DoctorPiranha3
#4MarthMoopa(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2013 12:10:32 AM
...just a few days ago on CE, you said this is a top tier game. You flip flop more than a f***ing politician.

I don't flip flop, people just don't get jokes when they see them.
#5KantonosoPosted 2/11/2013 12:10:50 AM
Some maps are better than others. Some good, some bad.

The same can be said for any Fire Emblem game.

Honestly, a lot of the GBA levels seemed a lot more haphazard and thoughtlessly designed than this one. Keep in mind, for the record, I'm only up to Ch11, so if it REALLY goes downhill, then I apologize for speaking prematurely.
---
PSN: Ranylyn. Playing Mass Effect 3
Main class: Vanguard. Secondary Class: Engineer.
#6DoctorPiranha3Posted 2/11/2013 12:11:08 AM
Your existence is a joke.
---
It's like every topic you post in becomes filled with either sensual energy or "pent up sexual frustration". ~ SurfingVaporeon, on DoctorPiranha3
#7MarthMoopa(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2013 12:11:31 AM
The same can be said for any Fire Emblem game.

Except Thracia, which is perfect all the way through.
#8SalsaSavantPosted 2/11/2013 12:11:55 AM
...aren't you the guy who said illogical things can't be fun?

Yeah, I'm not going to give anything you say any further attention.
---
Not changing this until something impossible happens
Started 12/02/12
#9MarthMoopa(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2013 12:12:31 AM
...aren't you the guy who said illogical things can't be fun?

Yeah, I'm not going to give anything you say any further attention.

Plebs afraid to argue with the Moops when they know he's right
#10emagdnEPosted 2/11/2013 12:13:52 AM
good to see you finally caught on
---
I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy... All right, give me the bomb. -Ultra Magnus