What happened to good level design in Fire Emblem?

#161BladeOfSilencePosted 2/13/2013 4:49:27 AM
Good freakin grief people..

An opinion backed by facts is still only an opinion. Just because you form your opinion based on facts, doesn't mean you can elevate your opinion to "fact" status. The facts of level design that "prove" it to be better is still only a basis of opinion towards these facts while back in reality, other people may not even think that same fact-backed design has any value whatsoever. Being elitist about an opinion doesn't make it a universal truth no matter how many facts you base it upon.
---
It's....BACON!!!!
WiiU/PSN: Edgewind | 3DS: 1375-7243-3668
#162HitokiriFelixPosted 2/13/2013 5:07:03 AM
imthestuntman posted...
The thing that annoys me is most maps early on seem to have all the enemies rush you all with rout as the objective. Never thought id miss carefully positioning my units to take on a guy on a thrown.

this. no defend for x turns or seize this/that, really?
maps themselves are fine, so I don't know what OP is smoking. but there are related issues, like you'll never be in the prep menu looking at the map and thinking, "send these units left because they'll do work on that mage unit, and send these guys right with the high-defense units leading the advance through choke points.

enemy formations are too homogenous in this game. there's no groups of 6 fighters or 5 archers or anything like that.
---
Xbox Live: xXSpaceFlowerXx
#163DragonDeoxysPosted 2/13/2013 5:13:28 AM
This topic coming from the guy who was practically screaming "IT'S ILLOGICAL TO HAVE FUN THAT WAY, GUYS!" in the broken dancer topic it's good laugh material to be honest.

Ok, ok, let's not be so hard on the guy first of all. He obviously needs to let us know that he is too good for this game; just show us your video of breezing through lunatic+ without any effort. And remember kids, playing on a harder difficulty is not good enough to have fun. You have to sit on a spiky chair on fire and strap the end of a pincer to a car battery and another to your nuts. After that you can start having fun like a true hardcore gamer. If you haven't done any of this then you are clearly having fun the "wrong" way.
---
Black FC: 4126 5167 3147
Black 2 FC: 0562 5475 2074
#164Shuo_RagnarokPosted 2/13/2013 5:16:55 AM
Be careful guys....logic tends to offend TC and friends.
---
Pokemon Black 2 FC:4084-3346-5023
3DS FC: 5069-3924-4114
#165Cheesepower5Posted 2/13/2013 5:43:10 AM
You know... The Sacred Stones' map design was pretty damn good. If it weren't hampered by the lulzy enemy stats then with just a few tweaks it'd probably be right up there with Monshou and Thracia.
---
Official Naga Raja of the SMT IV board.
Currently playing: Catherine and Far Cry 3
#166DemiseEndPosted 2/13/2013 6:19:32 AM
Cheesepower5 posted...
You know... The Sacred Stones' map design was pretty damn good. If it weren't hampered by the lulzy enemy stats then with just a few tweaks it'd probably be right up there with Monshou and Thracia.

No, the design is a total joke other than maybe Father and Son

Thracia enemy stats is so pathetic, Dagda can curbstomp doubling 80% of the enemy in the game, but it has good stage design to back them up

And moar balistae
And dat rng
And dat Cyas
And dat "if you did not have high magic, Staves Rank, or Leadership Star, you suck in endgame"
---
Real Metal bounces their breast. Deal with it
#167Cheesepower5Posted 2/13/2013 6:27:48 AM
I'm not really counting underlying mechanics like Stamina and Leadership Ranks (since SS doesn't have them.)

And, oh, only Father and Son? What about the map where there's two gunships and Cormag and his Wyvern squad are waiting for you at the bottom? Give some better terrain bonuses to the Ranger at the boss door, have an extra gunship to the East and make it so that when nobody's in range of the ships they dock and a crew of promoted units stroll out. That'd be a pretty damn fun map. (Especially with some Bolting Sages, but I digress, I said a few tweaks... Just surround Selena with those in her chapter.)

If FE8 had a Lunatic mode, I bet it'd be pretty stellar. That's all I'm saying.
---
Official Naga Raja of the SMT IV board.
Currently playing: Catherine and Far Cry 3
#168DemiseEndPosted 2/13/2013 6:39:07 AM
That map is so much of a joke that you can essentialy finish it so early that you need to wait for Cornag to "catch up"

Of course inflated stats can make something harder, but when you are talking about the problem of SS, it was the stage design and OP characters(namely Seth and Duessel although they will face a "Better stats, but still not Marcus level of awesome" syndrome if there are an inflated stats mode) and Pegasus being really good at most of the maps(although this is not an actual problem)

And im only bringing up Leadership Star because Dagda has bad skill, and the son of that dastard
---
Real Metal bounces their breast. Deal with it
#169tw1g_007Posted 2/13/2013 6:39:54 AM
FlyingDeCow posted...
Shuo_Ragnarok posted...
MarthMoopa posted...
Calling everything else trash is just stupid.

Telling the truth is not stupid.

Calling your personal opinion 'truth' is stupid, and you hold a reputation as one of the dumbest posters on these boards in this regard.

Agreed.

This should have ended the topic a long time ago lol.
---
MH will have to wait and why do most GameFAQ'ers in the 3DS board have sex with their 3DS?