What happened to good level design in Fire Emblem?

#41DemiseEndPosted 2/11/2013 1:21:13 AM
Because it is warp skipping

Instead of doing a "hey I made this stage design and its good so play it and clear it in low turn with X reasonable number as the standard" approach they are doing a "I make this stage absurd so you should just skip it"

I don't know about you, but designing a stage on the prospect of the player not playing the stage itself is stupid in and on itself, and its a massive waste considering how fun the stages are
---
Real Metal bounces their breast. Deal with it
#42MarthMoopa(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2013 1:27:30 AM

Instead of doing a "hey I made this stage design and its good so play it and clear it in low turn with X reasonable number as the standard" approach they are doing a "I make this stage absurd so you should just skip it"

I don't know about you, but designing a stage on the prospect of the player not playing the stage itself is stupid in and on itself, and its a massive waste considering how fun the stages are

I'm not defending warp skipping exactly, I'm just defending the general idea of expecting the player to actually use the stuff he's given.
#43WestbrickIIIPosted 2/11/2013 2:00:09 AM
Marth, all of your arguments about the map design boils down to "It's easy." I highly recommend you play Lunatic and set reasonable restrictions on yourself before casting that kind of judgment. Those "easy" open feels and pincer attacks take on a new look when you aren't abusing the game.
---
Play Fire Emblem: Awakening.
#44DairunPosted 2/11/2013 2:14:03 AM
MarthMoopa posted...
I'm not defending warp skipping exactly, I'm just defending the general idea of expecting the player to actually use the stuff he's given.

Right...

Aren't you the person that derailed an entire thread where someone powerleveled their dancer because you claimed that it trivialized the hard mode and doing that was pointless and not fun?
#45DemiseEndPosted 2/11/2013 2:24:19 AM
MarthMoopa posted...

Thats why you dont delete a part of a full post

And that stuff is pretty good, i wonder if theres any player who saved Finn's Lance during early stages. I kinda do, although i figure that 40 use during 10+ chapters can last you throughout the entire game.

And then Dean joined

And the rest is history
---
#46WestbrickIIIPosted 2/11/2013 2:26:04 AM
Dairun posted...
MarthMoopa posted...

Right...

Aren't you the person that derailed an entire thread where someone powerleveled their dancer because you claimed that it trivialized the hard mode and doing that was pointless and not fun?

This isn't remotely applicable. Remember that FE5 has rankings that would prevent that kind of mindless dance abuse.
---
Play Fire Emblem: Awakening.
#47DemiseEndPosted 2/11/2013 2:34:22 AM
FE5 Ranking seems to pretty much expected you to Warp Skip some stages IMO

Its a shame that usually the stages that you would want to skip are those with fun design
---
#48arvilinoPosted 2/11/2013 3:21:09 AM
WestbrickIII posted...

Second: Marth continues to underestimate the map design in this game. It's good. Examples (assuming Lunatic):

Chapter 2 -> open field, incredibly strong and aggressive enemies on both sides
Chapter 3 -> pincer attack, two levels
Chapter 5 -> mountain climb; have to deal with reinforcements and a barrage of wyvern knights
Chapter 10 -> amazing atmosphere, catching thieves a secondary objective, unique "pillar" terrain
Chapter 19 -> open-field kill leader mission, but the map is surrounded with incredibly strong promoted units and reinforcements
Chapter 21 -> spawning long-range tome users force you to bolt for the exit
Chapter 22 -> intense fight between your best units and the twelve Dark Warlords
Endgame -> literally fighting on the back of a dragon, spawning superpower units

Those are just off the top of my head. It's certainly memorable. You really just need to play on Lunatic and avoid DLC / grinding / dark magic.

Also:
Chapter 9-->desert chapter with 2 recruit-able characters, one ally getting attacked, one an enemy unit amidst the enemies, at a certain turn Dracoknight reinforcements come from the starting point and the group with the recruit-able enemy attempt to sandwich you in.
Chapter 16-->Climb up a giant tree terrain with enemy flyers and reinforcements just out of reach of your characters, if you don't get to the boss and defeat him fast enough you have to deal with dozens of reinforcements coming from the base and the sides of the tree. many enemy Rangers and Warriors with Silver bows in case you try to rush it with a flyer.
#49Patrick7286Posted 2/11/2013 3:34:02 AM
The thing is that Thracia's level design is well above good. It's excellent. You can have an FE with worse level design than thracia and still be good. Honestly I feel like the games with the worst level design would have to be 2 and 4 which both came before FE5.
#50DemiseEndPosted 2/11/2013 4:24:38 AM
4 Map is good when you view it as a "one castle as one chapter"

However, it isn't exactly like that so..... yeah
---