What happened to good level design in Fire Emblem?

#51Mujika1991Posted 2/11/2013 7:48:18 AM
MarthMoopa posted...
The same can be said for any Fire Emblem game.

Except Thracia, which is perfect all the way through.

Wahahahaha, god this is s freaking funny..som many flaws in that game..
#52Mujika1991Posted 2/11/2013 8:00:39 AM
MarthMoopa posted...
RD would be the only other Fire Emblem with good level design
Wooooooooooooow, For real ??..that game levels design sucked so much donkey..for real..there was nothing to it..
#53emagdnEPosted 2/11/2013 9:07:05 AM
VERY overlevelled, if I had to guess. I mean, "hit end turn until you win?" I don't think it's even physically possible to get THAT broken with three specific characters unless you grind a lot.

psst!

Nosferatu
---
I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy... All right, give me the bomb. -Ultra Magnus
#54MarthMoopa(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2013 11:23:10 AM
Marth, all of your arguments about the map design boils down to "It's easy."

No, it boils down to "it completely lacks any structure whatsoever", which contributes to utter lack of strategy required.

Chapter 9-->desert chapter with 2 recruit-able characters, one ally getting attacked, one an enemy unit amidst the enemies, at a certain turn Dracoknight reinforcements come from the starting point and the group with the recruit-able enemy attempt to sandwich you in.

Horrible chapter. You move down a little bit, go to the right, and BAM you're at the boss. No structure, no challenge.

Chapter 16-->Climb up a giant tree terrain with enemy flyers and reinforcements just out of reach of your characters, if you don't get to the boss and defeat him fast enough you have to deal with dozens of reinforcements coming from the base and the sides of the tree. many enemy Rangers and Warriors with Silver bows in case you try to rush it with a flyer.

Another chapter that completely lacks any structure whatsoever. You go up, you kill the boss, you're done. It's another boring level that doesn't challenge the player to do anything.
#55illanicePosted 2/11/2013 11:24:29 AM
Titania with hand axes solos

dammit
#56BufkusPosted 2/11/2013 11:27:38 AM
Mujika1991 posted...
MarthMoopa posted...
The same can be said for any Fire Emblem game.

Except Thracia, which is perfect all the way through.

Wahahahaha, god this is s freaking funny..som many flaws in that game..

There are no flaws in Thracia whatsoever.

Thracia is a legendary game that will never be equalled or surpassed. People need to remember that Shozo Kaga left years ago and Fire Emblem will never focus on puzzle-like level design ever again.

That doesn't mean Awakening is a bad game. It's really fun and one of the best SRPGs in recent years. It's just silly to hold it and future FE games up to an unreasonable standard.
#57Sentinel07Posted 2/11/2013 11:31:11 AM
As far as I can tell, the level design is just fine. Some maps are more tricky like a puzzle, while others are more straight-out brawls. The strategy still comes from how well you use your units, regardless of how the map is structured.

Even if a map doesn't have many obsticles and is more straight-forward, you'll never get anywhere if you don't use your units correctly. Reckless use of a unit will surely result in death.
#58MarthMoopa(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2013 11:35:16 AM
As far as I can tell, the level design is just fine.

Then you clearly don't know what good level design is.

Some maps are more tricky like a puzzle

No map in this game is anywhere near as intricate as Thracia's.

Even if a map doesn't have many obsticles and is more straight-forward, you'll never get anywhere if you don't use your units correctly. Reckless use of a unit will surely result in death.

Pair up, move forward, win.
#59xLinkkuPosted 2/11/2013 11:36:01 AM
MarthMoopa posted...
...aren't you the guy who said illogical things can't be fun?

Yeah, I'm not going to give anything you say any further attention.

Plebs afraid to argue with the Moops when they know he's right

Why would anyone waste their time arguing with someone who calls themselves the Moops....
---
Official Fennekin of the Pokemon X/Y boards
3DS FC: Bryan 4296-3998-3033
#60Sentinel07Posted 2/11/2013 11:47:27 AM
MarthMoopa posted...
As far as I can tell, the level design is just fine.

Then you clearly don't know what good level design is.

Some maps are more tricky like a puzzle

No map in this game is anywhere near as intricate as Thracia's.

Pair up, move forward, win.

No, you're just an elitist who thinks he knows everything in the world. If Tharacia is really that good, that's great. Calling everything else trash is just stupid.