How to balance reclassing

#1Sevi_neyPosted 2/11/2013 2:56:04 AM
It's irksome that the potential to reclass units is never ending. I sort of wish they had gone about it this way because this system is broken.

1 Second Seal and 1 Master Seal per unit.

Say I have a unit, and I want to reclass it using a second seal, from that point on, I can no longer reclass the unit, and whatever class that unit currently is, I can only use a Master Seal on it. It's fate is sealed.

Now if I take another unit, and I use a Master seal on it, I would still have the option to use a second seal, only now that I've used my Master Seal previously, that unit will remain unpremoted.

So now the choices are limited. Do I use a second seal, and change into another class even tho I'd rather have a Grandmaster? Do I hit level 20 tactician, use Master Seal then use Second Seal and live out as a permanent Cavalier? Or do I hit 20 tactician, switch classes and then use a master seal?

In the end, you still have the opportunity of 20+ extra levels compared to every other FE under the sun.

I think this is a reasonable balance that should have been implemented. I'm definitely going to use this system when I go for a lunatic run. Does anyone thing this is a good idea?
---
as the resurrection of Bill Cosby, relinquish your pudding or perish at the backhand of Bill Cosbyeatindapuddin
#2WestbrickIIIPosted 2/11/2013 2:57:41 AM
It's a decent balance idea that restricts player choice and customization. This game is all about customization, even at the expense of balance. Your idea, while not bad by any means, would run counter to what Awakening is going for.

Sounds like a great idea for a challenge run, at any rate.
---
Play Fire Emblem: Awakening.
#3BTzzPosted 2/11/2013 2:58:36 AM
I'd like it if they just didn't change your stats at all, to be perfectly honest. Shadow Dragon style. Then limit the number of second seals (no buying them, limited amount in chapters).

I wanted to play as a Myrmidon for my Avatar but had to wait till level 10 to do it, now they're OP as **** :/
#4McTCMPosted 2/11/2013 3:01:38 AM
Shadow dragon did change stats, since base stats differ.
---
~Pokemon~
FC:2537 8652 0098
#5SparkinfernoPosted 2/11/2013 3:02:37 AM
I think they should add an option after classic maybe "challenge" or something that would limit reclassing for characters, but I like being able to class change whenever and whatever I feel like, sure it makes the game easy, but if I want hard, I'd just set limitations on myself.
#6Sevi_ney(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2013 3:03:04 AM
WestbrickIII posted...
It's a decent balance idea that restricts player choice and customization. This game is all about customization, even at the expense of balance. Your idea, while not bad by any means, would run counter to what Awakening is going for.

Sounds like a great idea for a challenge run, at any rate.

Thanks, but what exactly is it going for then?... the ability to be broken all over the place when the player can grind 800 levels?

I might have agreed if there were any PvP online but since it's all ingame, I'd rather take balance over infinite customization.
---
as the resurrection of Bill Cosby, relinquish your pudding or perish at the backhand of Bill Cosbyeatindapuddin
#7WestbrickIIIPosted 2/11/2013 3:13:18 AM
Sevi_ney posted...
Thanks, but what exactly is it going for then?... the ability to be broken all over the place when the player can grind 800 levels?

The ability to train any unit, at any time, and experiment with a wide variety of class and skill combinations. A consequence is the ability to have overpowered units, unquestionably, but there's no way to avoid this if what you're aiming for is customization.

On the plus side, you're free to restrict yourself with challenge modes. Think about Final Fantasy Tactics: it's a game infamous for jarring class and skill imbalance, with several skills capable of breaking the game, but that hasn't stopped players from imposing restrictions on playthroughs. Many of these restrictions are pretty creative and breathe new life into the game. I'm hoping the same phenomenon happens with Awakening instead of people (not you, but others) complaining about how easily the game can be broken.

(Also worth mentioning that there's DLC designed around max-stat units. We'll get those maps eventually.)
---
Play Fire Emblem: Awakening.
#8Sevi_ney(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2013 3:55:22 AM
I see. That's interesting. I think I tapped into Streetpass or whatever those options are and I summoned a few teams from other fire emblem games. They all seemed to all have max stats lol...
---
#9spyke252Posted 2/11/2013 4:13:39 AM
I mean, limiting the total exp possibly gained would have the same net effect.

But I disagree with the whole unpromoted business- for your proposal, the best way to reclass is to ALWAYS promote then reclass to another promoted unit, which is kinda limiting.

I say 1 Second Seal a person, and however many master seals you want.
#10Col_MobiusPosted 2/11/2013 4:48:19 AM
I'd offer one tweak, which involves the ability to switch back to a character's base class (maybe also only one time).
---
3DS FC: 0533-4140-9968