So, who's on Hard Classic and dont bother restarting when a member dies ?

#31FujibayashiSuzuPosted 2/12/2013 12:04:30 PM
MetaXzero posted...
FujibayashiSuzu posted...
I don't think Fire Emblem is meant to be played in you going on if you lose units. You don't really have THAT many spares - especially as you need the first gen characters to get the second gen characters.

The only one designed for you to lose units and keep going, was Shadow Dragon. The rest, losing units is detrimental to the game because you can possibly lose out on future characters.

Not to mention, the game will remind you that you let them die in the credits. You let them down. They trusted their lives with you. And you let them die.

Just because accepting your losses is detrimental to your ability to complete the game doesn't mean the game was made to reset on every single death. You've got a harder game ahead of you, but a game that is still possible assuming you aren't thinning out your forces at an extreme rate.

Well yes, but I again feel FE is meant to be reset on character death. This is why the AI ALWAYS attacks the unit it is most likely to kill in its attack, rather then a unit of actual strategic importance - it knows most players restart if a unit dies, so if it kills a unit of yours, it "wins".
#32MetaXzeroPosted 2/12/2013 12:20:39 PM(edited)
MetaXzero posted...
I don't think Fire Emblem is meant to be played in you going on if you lose units. You don't really have THAT many spares - especially as you need the first gen characters to get the second gen characters.

The only one designed for you to lose units and keep going, was Shadow Dragon. The rest, losing units is detrimental to the game because you can possibly lose out on future characters.

Not to mention, the game will remind you that you let them die in the credits. You let them down. They trusted their lives with you. And you let them die.

Just because accepting your losses is detrimental to your ability to complete the game doesn't mean the game was made to reset on every single death. You've got a harder game ahead of you, but a game that is still possible assuming you aren't thinning out your forces at an extreme rate.

Well yes, but I again feel FE is meant to be reset on character death. This is why the AI ALWAYS attacks the unit it is most likely to kill in its attack, rather then a unit of actual strategic importance - it knows most players restart if a unit dies, so if it kills a unit of yours, it "wins".

The AI is designed to attack ANY unit within range. It prioritizes targets when there are multiple ones (which would just be decent AI design in this circumstance compared to "attack unit at random" or "attack closest unit"), but ultimately if it's just a choice between "attack that high defense unit and probably die in the counter attack" or "don't attack that unit" it will ALWAYS attack.

And I wouldn't be so quick to say "most players". Alot do, but there is no way to see what the majority do.

Like I said, everyone would be like Chrom and MU (where death = game over) if the game wanted you to restart everytime. The game would AT LEAST have the option in the menu to reload your file or ask you do you want to restart the mission.

Again though, you can't just thin out your army with reckless playing. Just like you can't have an EXP sponge deprive everyone else of potential growth.

@Hirokey123
Pretty much. Ideally, all your deaths would be ones you can work around as opposed to having key and irreplacable parts put down.
#33fayehintoPosted 2/12/2013 12:47:10 PM
If I did I think all of my characters would be dead. All of them.

I'm not afraid to admit I'm bad at this game.
#34SWBF2PilotPosted 2/12/2013 1:36:35 PM
MetaXzero posted...

No, that's because it's fighting a war of attrition. The game would be impossible if it played like Advance Wars where enemy units danced out of your range while you danced out of theirs, because you'd take like 50% casualties every mission on Hard and above. Instead, it plays to whittle you down one unit at a time so you eventually get stuck playing with whatever they call Jagen, Minerva, Midia, and Astram in this game. (Or Marcus, Pent, Astos, and Jaffar, you get the picture.) After enough of your could have been good units are dead, you get stuck struggling to get by with the consistently mediocre ones, and eventually you're pushed to the point where even on Normal mode you start considering every single action and/or restarting. After helping someone beat FE7 when they only had 3 or 4 units more left alive than they were allowed to bring to the last mission in the first place, I understand that quite well...
---
"Siegfried: He has no need for words, he speaks with whiffs."
-Wandrian
#35Hirokey123Posted 2/12/2013 3:04:30 PM
No enemies are certainly not programmed to target the closest enemy. I've had tons of enemies run right past plenty of targets just so they could attack the far away squish half dead unit.
---
I've got a quote that embodies you perfectly, but it's seventy-three posts long, has a few massive flowcharts, and lots of Xion-KMA to Me
#36ToberonePosted 2/12/2013 3:09:17 PM
Holy wow robin, there's this button called shift, ever heard of it?
#37saturn_frogurtPosted 2/12/2013 3:32:51 PM
The whole "accept a unit's death and move on" argument doesn't hold water when even the developers admit they restart when one of their units die.
---
- Swap God for a janitor, rot in a jar of dog paws -
Put a pinch of sage in your boots, and all day long a spicy scent is your reward.
#38ss4gogeta_darkPosted 2/12/2013 3:34:18 PM
I have only let stahl die. I don't miss you stalh, GTFO. Sully forever!
---
FX 8150 @ 4.4ghz|MSI 7970 Lightning|MSI 990fxa-gd80|G.skill 1600mhz| W7Ux64
FCs in contacts.