Never played Fire Emblems before, strategies?

#1k_lub242Posted 2/13/2013 12:45:06 AM(edited)
I just got Fire Emblem today, played through chapter 3 on hard/classic so far. I've played quite a few RPG's, but I've never played any other Fire Emblem games before... or any other SRPG's that I can think of, for that matter.

Can you guys explain any tactics that may not be so obvious to me? For example, I don't totally get how pairing up during battle works. I get that the support character raises the main characters stats a little bit, but how is that better than having two characters with double the HP? When would I want to pair up, and who?
#2WestbrickIIIPosted 2/13/2013 12:46:51 AM
-You can check enemy ranges by clicking on individual enemies, and check total danger range by pressing X. Very important that you use this often
-Always keep dancers and healers out of enemy range. Mages too, for the most part
-Try not to overuse Frederick; he's great, and remains good throughout the campaign, but you'll want to divvy up early experience around to your unpromoted units
-Pairing Up is incredibly good; use it often. Different classes give different bonuses, so keep track and use this to your advantage
-Build up supports by attacking near / paired up with units, as support bonuses are nice
-Don't get frustrated with restarts; this is Fire Emblem, after all, and every new player goes through trial by fire getting used to the unforgiving difficulty
---
Play Fire Emblem: Awakening.
#3k_lub242(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2013 12:50:40 AM
WestbrickIII posted...
-You can check enemy ranges by clicking on individual enemies, and check total danger range by pressing X. Very important that you use this often
-Always keep dancers and healers out of enemy range. Mages too, for the most part
-Try not to overuse Frederick; he's great, and remains good throughout the campaign, but you'll want to divvy up early experience around to your unpromoted units
-Pairing Up is incredibly good; use it often. Different classes give different bonuses, so keep track and use this to your advantage
-Build up supports by attacking near / paired up with units, as support bonuses are nice
-Don't get frustrated with restarts; this is Fire Emblem, after all, and every new player goes through trial by fire getting used to the unforgiving difficulty

Haha. Yeah, one battle I had to try three times to beat. I'm sick of games that I could faceroll my way through though, so I like that.

So if pairing up is really good, should all my characters be paired up with someone? Are there any disadvantages to pairing up? Should I pair up same units (e.g. cavalier/cavalier), similar units (e.g. cavalier/fighter), or totally unrelated ones (e.g. cavalier/mage)?
#4WestbrickIIIPosted 2/13/2013 12:53:07 AM
Pairing Up does have some disadvantages, the big one being that it limits how many units you can use per turn. But the big bonuses typically outweigh this drawback.

On the issue of who to pair up with whom, complementary classes work well as do non-complementary matches; it depends on the circumstances. For instance, Kellam (a knight) gives big offensive and defensive boosts, so using him on Chrom will help make his offense that much better. Of course, if you have a mage in harm's way, that +5 defense Kellam provides could be the difference between life and death; here, pairing him up with a mage is the sensible way to go. It's flexible, so try out different combinations.
---
#5k_lub242(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2013 12:55:52 AM
WestbrickIII posted...
Pairing Up does have some disadvantages, the big one being that it limits how many units you can use per turn. But the big bonuses typically outweigh this drawback.

On the issue of who to pair up with whom, complementary classes work well as do non-complementary matches; it depends on the circumstances. For instance, Kellam (a knight) gives big offensive and defensive boosts, so using him on Chrom will help make his offense that much better. Of course, if you have a mage in harm's way, that +5 defense Kellam provides could be the difference between life and death; here, pairing him up with a mage is the sensible way to go. It's flexible, so try out different combinations.

Cool, thanks! That makes a lot of sense.
#6steroidz_da_pwnPosted 2/13/2013 12:58:17 AM
If you're playing on Normal, I wouldn't recommend pairing up until you find it is a necessity. Not pairing up allows more units to get experience points. You'd be better off having adjacent units standing next to each other and killing units separately. Towards the end of the game however, enemies stats can be very close to yours, so pairing up is almost required.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerGuides 1.10
#7k_lub242(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2013 1:00:54 AM
steroidz_da_pwn posted...
If you're playing on Normal, I wouldn't recommend pairing up until you find it is a necessity. Not pairing up allows more units to get experience points. You'd be better off having adjacent units standing next to each other and killing units separately. Towards the end of the game however, enemies stats can be very close to yours, so pairing up is almost required.

I'm playing on hard/classic, actually. Does pairing up mean less total experience, or just less flexibility in who gets the experience? If the latter, seems like that wouldn't be a problem so long as I remember to switch off the leader of the pair every battle or something.
#8WestbrickIIIPosted 2/13/2013 1:02:29 AM
k_lub242 posted...
I'm playing on hard/classic, actually. Does pairing up mean less total experience, or just less flexibility in who gets the experience? If the latter, seems like that wouldn't be a problem so long as I remember to switch off the leader of the pair every battle or something.

Pretty much right. Let's say you Pair Up Stahl and Vaike on Chapter 2; both complement each other with nice offensive-oriented bonuses, so switching back and forth between the two during battle means you won't lose out on experience.
---
#9steroidz_da_pwnPosted 2/13/2013 1:04:09 AM
WestbrickIII posted...
k_lub242 posted...

Pretty much right. Let's say you Pair Up Stahl and Vaike on Chapter 2; both complement each other with nice offensive-oriented bonuses, so switching back and forth between the two during battle means you won't lose out on experience.

Correct. I sometimes forget to switch off characters and it gets annoying when I end a chapter and the lead (one getting experience) gained 4-5 levels and the back unit didn't get any. But it doesn't affect total experience.
---
#10steroidz_da_pwnPosted 2/13/2013 1:05:08 AM
Also, since you're a noob on hard/classic, I'd recommend almost always having Frederick paired up with someone to make them easy to level, and if you need him just switch him to the lead character.
---