Everyone would hate Thracia 776 if it had been localized

#41DairunPosted 2/13/2013 3:20:43 PM
MadDewg posted...
Also, was Graces that good? I haven't gotten a single Tales game since Symphonia 2/Abyss. I skipped on the 360 game (forgot the name) and I just haven't kept up since. Wonder what all I missed.

It all depends.....when you play a tales of game, are you the type that usually play them because you like the character interaction and the battle system? If so, you will love tales of graces f because in my humble opinion, it has one of the best battle systems in the entire series, and I love the whole every character has 2 gameplay styles thing namco was going for with the game. Also, the skits was awesome, and then they get even better once you get to the "future arc".

However, if you are the type that play tales of games thinking of the story/plot above all...the plot for the main game honestly wasn't all that. A little bit too much friendship for my tastes, lol. Like, if you were to compare tales of graces plot to tales of the abyss, then graces would look like ass cheeks....and definitely not the hot/sexy kind of ass cheeks. The future arc (basically another little story you can play after you beat the main game) was cool though.

"Cheria. Our plot is THE BUTT. We must find... THE BUTT."

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Sorry. Just loved that skit for the pure ridiculousness of that exchange.
#42Is_CorruptedPosted 2/13/2013 3:29:18 PM
Thracia 776 offers gameplay that is more responsive than the more recent hard modes that just raise enemy stats.
You don't need much to compare how attacking a fortress in FE5 is a much bigger job (excluding warp staves) than what manner of crap defenses this game's fortress attack mission had.
---
Marcus is the answer for anything except "best unit who isn't Marcus," but even then he is a strong contender. - PokeAMon
#43saturn_frogurtPosted 2/13/2013 3:38:03 PM
WestbrickIII posted...
Thracia 776 is more of a fringe masterpiece than anything. Terrific level design and some brilliant mechanics, but it's held back by a few baffling design decisions, including...

-no formation option in a game where unit placement is more important than ever
-missable staves
-99 hit cap
-lack of character development for 90% of the cast
-incredibly obscure character / weapon getting conditions

That last point is probably the biggest flaw of the game. If you're going in blind, even on Elite Mode, Thracia is going to destroy a new player. It demands that you've read a walkthrough or beaten the game ahead of time, and know how to get all the broken tomes and weapons and characters, some of whom (like Asvel) are almost required to get past certain points.

Inaccessible and obscure design is not good design.

Exactly. A game that requires the player to have an extensive knowledge of the game's mechanics before even playing it is not a good game.
---
- Swap God for a janitor, rot in a jar of dog paws -
Put a pinch of sage in your boots, and all day long a spicy scent is your reward.
#44supershyguy65Posted 2/13/2013 3:40:52 PM
I do like a lot about Thracia. After playing Awakening, I like the game but never had that feel Thracia gave me, where one mistake led to failure and I had to be smart. No character felt invincible, even 20 Str/Spd/Def Othin could be defeated if I played badly. I should give Thracia another chance, but there are too many moments when the game becomes way too frustrating. If it were better balanced, I'd really enjoy it. Not a fan of Capturing though, too luck based.
#45MarthMoopaPosted 2/13/2013 3:41:29 PM
Exactly. A game that requires the player to have an extensive knowledge of the game's mechanics before even playing it is not a good game.

Thracia doesn't require you to know everything about the game before you play it. It only requires you to not be completely atrocious at strategy games.
#46NoNameAtAllPosted 2/13/2013 5:16:56 PM
MarthMoopa posted...

Thracia doesn't require you to know everything about the game before you play it. It only requires you to not be completely atrocious at strategy games.

It does for SSS Rank.
---
OH MY GAWD how did I forget her, I fail so much -- Marth_Koopa, now MarsKoopa
#47MarthMoopaPosted 2/13/2013 6:00:19 PM
MarthMoopa posted...

It does for SSS Rank.

The game requires you to know everything about it to obtain the highest possible rank? Well gosh!
#48KysafenPosted 2/13/2013 9:34:11 PM(edited)
DemiseEnd posted...
Not to mention Leaf potrait somehow get changed with Julia during Chapter 21 including golds such as Celice talking to Leaf!Julia who talks to Actual!Julia

Shaya's patch isn't comprehensive, but it sure as hell gets the job done... except for one flaw in chapter 24 where putting the cursor over one of the enemies freezes the game... that sucked.
Koishi_Komeiji posted...
Kysafen posted...
and they DEFINITELY WILL like Capturing.

Capturing pissed me off because it meant I had to work with low hit chances and risk taking a powerful counterattack from it. Then again, I guess it gave Eyvel and whatshisface something worthwhile to do.

And Othin/Halvan, with the Brave Axe equipped (or a Hammer, when facing Armors). And Fin. And Carion, once you get him the Elite Sword. And Dalshin, especially if you give him the Sety Scroll. And Dean, once he gets the Dragon Lance.
And a plethora more units, if you're going for a bishop with a physic staff/long range magic tome. Or healers with nothing else equipped.

Anyone playing Thracia 776 for the first time has to play on Elite Mode. The game's admittedly more fun that way, anyway.
WestbrickIII posted...
Thracia 776 is more of a fringe masterpiece than anything. Terrific level design and some brilliant mechanics, but it's held back by a few baffling design decisions, including...

-no formation option in a game where unit placement is more important than ever
-missable staves
-99 hit cap
-lack of character development for 90% of the cast
-incredibly obscure character / weapon getting conditions

That last point is probably the biggest flaw of the game. If you're going in blind, even on Elite Mode, Thracia is going to destroy a new player. It demands that you've read a walkthrough or beaten the game ahead of time, and know how to get all the broken tomes and weapons and characters, some of whom (like Asvel) are almost required to get past certain points.

Inaccessible and obscure design is not good design.

-Formations are important, but it doesn't totally throw any strategy you could come up with out the window... 90% of the time (Chapter 9, grumble grumble)
-Healing staves shouldn't be miss-able, status effect staves should.
-99 hit cap is not as cataclysmic and game-breaking as you make it out to be. Yes, I've had 99% misses before, but it's never completely destroyed any strategy I had.
-Oh yes, the one point I think you and I can agree on the most. Thracia 776, despite being a mid-quel, had characters that'd make for really interesting support conversations, like MaritaXShanam/Galzus, SaphyXLifis/Shiva, PahnXTina, and SaraXSeram, along with exploring some already implied relationships, like TanyaXOthin, DeanXLinoan, LeafXNanna, and OlwenXFred.
-Chapter 4x should've just been its own chapter instead of a Gaiden, but you gotta wonder about the design of chapter 4. For one, the chapter's opening dialogue does mention rescuing the citizens, and, if you would've had the game present an extra challenge at you, you'd think a game like Fire Emblem would somehow reward the player. Still, I do see your point for 4x's gaiden requirement. And yes, Shiva still should've come in chapter 7 if you released him in 2x, especially since his release quote is "I owe them one". In fact, it could be a bonus in the remake; instead of recruiting him with just Saphy, you could just recruit him with anyone under Leif's control.
All in all, that last issue is something that could be properly addressed in a remake.
---
Awakening is deep, has a fast and efficient game engine,is fun to play, and actually manages to live up to fan hype, unlike that piece of crap, Seisen no Keifu.
#49MarthMoopaPosted 2/13/2013 9:32:22 PM
Shaya's patch isn't comprehensive, but it sure as hell gets the job done.

It breaks the most important part, though, which is the damn battle stats window. It's annoying to have to memorize the numbers by their position instead of simply having "ATK DEF" and stuff. It makes it extra difficult to plan your attacks for your turn.
#50OrangeCrush980Posted 2/14/2013 4:53:52 AM
MadDewg posted...
Yeah, I hate this mentality a lot myself =/ You tend to see it a lot from the importers of the tales of games community. I have seen a good deal of hype for both tales of graces f and tales of xillia when they were both stuck in japanland only with no international release planned for example....then when they get western versions announced all the sudden they weren't really all that/is just "ok" compared to *insert whatever tales game is currently stuck in japan without a western release date announced" here. Currently, tales of xillia 2 is on that "omg this is so awesome best game in series ever!!!" pedestal.

To be fair though...tales of destiny remake and tales of rebirth did deserve their hype though...good games they were.

Phantasia is the most blatant example of this. The original version is considered to be one of the best SNES JRPGs ever, while the GBA version which came out in English gets lots of hate. From my understanding, the GBA version is an upgrade overall since it adds some features from the PSX version (i.e. Suzu, Chester having techs, etc.) but everyone always fixates on the 2 or 3 minorish things the SNES version did better to justify the huge disparity.
---
Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality