Is Vaike the best fighter in the series?

#61KingofDeceit666Posted 2/13/2013 11:37:13 PM
BobTDonut posted...
Hm, axe-only fighter that promotes into a sword and axe-using tier 2 class. Clearly nothing like a fighter.

Give it up.

But he is correct. It is nothing like a Fighter.

So in a way, outside of FE4, the only true "Fighters" are from FE6 and above.

Yes, FE5's axe-only using axe fighters are nothing like the axe-only using fighters of post-FE5 games. Their vast differences are so clear to me now. Thank you, friend!
---
http://tinyurl.com/a8lyhvl
#62KysafenPosted 2/13/2013 11:39:08 PM(edited)
KingofDeceit666 posted...
MarthMoopa posted...
Because axe fighters are essentially the same as the standard fighter now, whereas sword fighters are not.

Incorrect.

Hm, axe-only fighter that promotes into a sword and axe-using tier 2 class. Clearly nothing like a fighter.

Give it up.

Othin and Havan are Fighters by FE8 standards. You might as well call Garcia and Ross Mercenaries because they can promote to Sword wielders, as well.

And frankly, FE5's "Mercenaries" should've been fan-translated to "Hero", for their available weapons.
---
Awakening is deep, has a fast and efficient game engine,is fun to play, and actually manages to live up to fan hype, unlike that piece of crap, Seisen no Keifu.
#63BobTDonutPosted 2/13/2013 11:40:57 PM
Yes, FE5's axe-only using axe fighters are nothing like the axe-only using fighters of post-FE5 games. Their vast differences are so clear to me now. Thank you, friend!

So I am guessing you didn't actually read anything I stated where it shows that, other than FE1 and 3 (since 3 is a direct sequel) none of the Fighters in any of the first 5 FE games are the same?
---
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/black-dragonflight/Arpandaday/advanced
http://i.imgur.com/lPu0J.gif
#64MarthMoopaPosted 2/13/2013 11:41:43 PM
Othin and Havan are Fighters by FE8 standards.

Sacred Stones' standards don't apply to Thracia, because Thracia is not Sacred Stones. Thracia is Thracia and its classes are defined perfectly well on its own.
#65KingofDeceit666Posted 2/13/2013 11:42:19 PM
Kysafen posted...
MarthMoopa posted...
Because axe fighters are essentially the same as the standard fighter now, whereas sword fighters are not.

Incorrect.

Give it up.

Othin and Havan are Fighters by FE8 standards. You might as well call Garcia and Ross Mercenaries because they can promote to Sword wielders, as well.

And frankly, FE5's "Mercenaries" should've been fan-translated to "Hero", for their available weapons.

Garcia and Ross can promote to heroes, which use swords. That's what makes axe fighter and mercenary FE5's fighter and hero correlation--as well as sword fighter and mercenary basically being mercenary and hero.
---
#66KingofDeceit666Posted 2/13/2013 11:44:04 PM
BobTDonut posted...

So I am guessing you didn't actually read anything I stated where it shows that, other than FE1 and 3 (since 3 is a direct sequel) none of the Fighters in any of the first 5 FE games are the same?

I did, but I didn't respond to it because explaining that classes went through changes over the course of a few games is irrelevant to the argument at hand.
---
#67BhelliumPosted 2/13/2013 11:49:06 PM
Nolan you flea bitten semanticsphiles
---
If Pluto is not a planet Europe is just West Asia.
#68BobTDonutPosted 2/13/2013 11:52:21 PM
I did, but I didn't respond to it because explaining that classes went through changes over the course of a few games is irrelevant to the argument at hand.

Its completely relevant to the argument at hand. The base argument is "What is a Fighter?" and in order to answer that, you need to know what Fighters are classified as. Do we count just any class that has the word "Fighter" in it? Do we count base classes that use only Axes? Do they need to promote into a Hero? All of these factors change throughout the games.

Only once FE6 was released did we have a standard for Fighters, and that is a base class that wields Axes and has the ability to promote into a Warrior to use Axes and Bows. If we apply this standard to other games, then only FE4 becomes the closes with their Axe Fighter. The only game that contradicts this is FE8, but we know from FE7 that the original promotion for a Pirate is Berserker, and they were only given Warrior because of the gimmick of tree'd promotions.
---
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/black-dragonflight/Arpandaday/advanced
http://i.imgur.com/lPu0J.gif
#69KysafenPosted 2/13/2013 11:52:51 PM
Kysafen posted...
MarthMoopa posted...

Incorrect.

Give it up.

Garcia and Ross can promote to heroes, which use swords. That's what makes axe fighter and mercenary FE5's fighter and hero correlation--as well as sword fighter and mercenary basically being mercenary and hero.

Thracia 776's promotions are unconventional by today's standards. Nanna's a troubadour who promotes to a Paladin, Saphy's a Priest who becomes a Sage, Machua's a Myrmidon (or "Sword Fighter", which has been synonymous with Myrmidon) who promotes to a Mercenary/Hero, and Lara's a Thief who can promote to a Dancer... or to a Rogue, who can then promote to a Dancer, who can then promote to a Rogue again.
---
Awakening is deep, has a fast and efficient game engine,is fun to play, and actually manages to live up to fan hype, unlike that piece of crap, Seisen no Keifu.
#70The_Undying_84Posted 2/13/2013 11:55:49 PM
I've played through RD at least 10 times and have never found Nolan to be all that great.

As for Vaike, I'm mostly just annoyed that he wasn't a Barbarian to start with so I could get one, and more importantly a Berserker, without reclassing.

Also this fighter vs. axe fighter debate is really dumb. I don't know Thracia, but if an axe fighter has a different sort of stat distribution and actually plays differently than a fighter, then fine, call it a different thing, otherwise you're just ridiculously caught up in the semantics of it.
---
PSN: TheUndying84