I hate this genre of RPG

#1IceWindRyuPosted 2/14/2013 3:37:37 AM
I find it to be overwhelming a lot of the time and just too boring. Yet, I enjoyed the demo a decent amount for some reason, and the story seems kind of interesting.

I have money. Should I get this?
#2Segmented OdinPosted 2/14/2013 3:41:55 AM
Well, what exactly do you find overwhelming and boring about the genre? Have you ever played a previous Fire Emblem, and if so did you enjoy it?
#3ArreiPosted 2/14/2013 3:42:10 AM
Couldn't hurt. If you enjoyed the demo, maybe you'll like this kind of game after all, and if you don't like it in the end, well, I guess your hate of strategy RPGs is just all-encompassing, then.
#4IceWindRyu(Topic Creator)Posted 2/14/2013 3:43:20 AM
Segmented Odin posted...
Well, what exactly do you find overwhelming and boring about the genre? Have you ever played a previous Fire Emblem, and if so did you enjoy it?

I haven't, and I'm not really sure to be honest. Just...the preparation maybe? Like, I've tried to get into FFT for years, but my God, hiring people, and changing their classes and skills, etc, just gets to be too much of a hassle for me
#5Segmented OdinPosted 2/14/2013 3:48:58 AM
IceWindRyu posted...
Segmented Odin posted...

I haven't, and I'm not really sure to be honest. Just...the preparation maybe? Like, I've tried to get into FFT for years, but my God, hiring people, and changing their classes and skills, etc, just gets to be too much of a hassle for me

Ahhh, I see. Well, in this one, you don't really hire people. So that's a plus. Honestly it sounds like you would've liked FE7. It had no skills, and the only class changes were when your units were 10 or above (Almost everyone waited until 20). This game brings in skills, but they are fairly easy to manage and if you aren't sure which are good, simply asking the board is a good way to find out. There's a max of five equipped (you can earn unlimited, but it is a pain), and you get 2 per class at different levels.

Class-changing in this game is a tad different, as most characters have a 'set' of three different classes to choose from, based on their personality. Each class can promote into 2 different 'advanced' classes, which are stronger than the base ones but take more EXP to level. You can class change at level 10 or higher (1 or higher as an advanced class), and you can promote from a basic class to advanced after 10. However, if this sounds too complex, one can play it (and still do really well) by using the old FE method where all you do is level to 20, promote to an advanced class, and don't mess around with reclassing.

Let me know if you need me to expand on anything, I'm not so great at quick explanations.
#6evilvideogamerPosted 2/14/2013 3:49:30 AM
This game is alot less mircomangey that FFT. If you want a simple playthrough just buy it and play on normal. So long as you grasp the games basics you can do whatever you want on normal
---
swagodile for life
Black: 0432 7698 4556
#7IceWindRyu(Topic Creator)Posted 2/14/2013 3:52:39 AM
Hmm, thanks for the info. I guess I might as well give it a go!
#8Red_Ring_RicoPosted 2/14/2013 4:07:31 AM
Yeah i've always shied away from strategy rpgs for the same reasons, and I've always found the stories to be kinda boring like in the Shining Force games. But I enjoyed the demo for FE:A so I might give this a chance.

I'd like to at least once in my life to finish a strategy rpg.
#9Xion333Posted 2/14/2013 4:45:25 AM
Red_Ring_Rico posted...
Yeah i've always shied away from strategy rpgs for the same reasons, and I've always found the stories to be kinda boring like in the Shining Force games. But I enjoyed the demo for FE:A so I might give this a chance.

Well if you want to finish a strategy RPG that much atleast once in your life, might as well make it Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together (psp version is a lot more polished). It is a game you do not really need to grind for (the original you needed to grind a bit unless you were fine with losing units). You can even stay in your original classes and it won't be too much of a bother. Only problem would be getting newer classes as they start level one.

The story there is very interesting and offers multiple paths which you can go back to after you finish the game thanks to the WORLD System. If you want easy mode in that game..you only need to abuse archers and ninjas so not much organization required :).
---
SSBB FC: 4382- 1783- 4315 Name: Leaf
GC: Xion333
#10Segmented OdinPosted 2/14/2013 5:02:35 AM
Xion333 posted...
Red_Ring_Rico posted...

Well if you want to finish a strategy RPG that much atleast once in your life, might as well make it Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together (psp version is a lot more polished). It is a game you do not really need to grind for (the original you needed to grind a bit unless you were fine with losing units). You can even stay in your original classes and it won't be too much of a bother. Only problem would be getting newer classes as they start level one.

The story there is very interesting and offers multiple paths which you can go back to after you finish the game thanks to the WORLD System. If you want easy mode in that game..you only need to abuse archers and ninjas so not much organization required :).

I never did finish that game... Got to some lava/volcano level and it was ridiculously difficult. A shame, I really loved the story.