Is there any incentive to pick Classic over Casual besides "It's an experience"?

#71KantonosoPosted 2/15/2013 2:21:33 PM
I want a hybrid system, myself.

Last enemy standing, I throw a unit at it, enemy dodges a 90+% chance and lands a 1% crit (on a 12% hit,) killing my unit outright? At times like that, it's outright rage inducing, because you lost that unit due to utter BS and you have to replay the WHOLE chapter to save them. Times like this make me want to play Casual.

But at the same time... sometimes you just need to knowingly make a sacrifice for the greater good. And casual really takes away the weight of these decisions. Example; a boss is tougher than anticipated and you'll take another turn to finish wearing it down. You have a unit you can't attack with... but can still be a good diversion. Do you risk killing them, or let the reinforcements crash into your main force? This was a decision I had to make in the final battle that cost me several units, including Lucina. At times like this, I love classic. The weight adds a lot.

This is why I love Valkyria Chronicles. You have a chance to rescue units. If they go down, you have either 2 turns before they bleed out, or until an enemy walks over to finish them off. So, if you tried to run a scout past 4 tanks, damn straight you can kiss that unit goodbye! But at the same time, simply getting unlucky here and there doesn't cost you the game.

I... guess, the middle ground is to play on casual with a self imposed Nuzlocke challenge kind of thing? If a unit dies under "normal" circumstances, never use them again, but don't rob yourself of units that were utterly cheesed out very late in the mission?
---
PSN: Ranylyn. Mass Effect 3 Adept/Sentinel/Engineer
Currently Playing: Fire Emblem Awakening. Tactician: Ranylyn
#72AmendythPosted 2/15/2013 2:54:35 PM
Xuicsus posted...
If you want true "classic mode", then FE should have done what X-Com did. There's no way to avoid the perma-death once it happens.

As it stands, I think I stand with the others that playing on classic mode is more of a "nerd prize" than of an actual experience. Until FE can counter being able to reset the game, people will just continue to reset the game. Very few will actually play as it is meant to be played: with zero resets. The temptation is just far too great really.

Meant to be played? As stated numerous times before, Classic mode is there to improve your play. Some of the later missions are really long with masses of reinforcements in terms of enemies popping up on the map. Are you trying to say resetting after slogging through some of those waves of enemies because you got careless and one person dies isn't a penalty? Not to mention if you are extremely lucky with random items, you lose that, you lose all the experience you gained and you lose all the relationship points you may have built up. Pretty damn big penalty to me.

There is nothing wrong with resetting, you are sacrificing much just to regain a unit. Next time you'll do better and so on. It forces you to improve. Classic isn't really about permanent death, it is about improving your strategies and improving as a player. Casual mode is not. I'm not bashing Casual either, but that is the difference.
---
Fire Emblem: Awakening has taken my mind and my soul.
#73LitlroxPosted 2/15/2013 3:29:31 PM
Casual mode= Not much thought to strategies. Once unit falls, re-spawn after battle.

Classic mode=requires thought to strategies. Once unit falls, gone for good if you continue the game as is.

Re-setting the game when playing on Classic to do better on strategies so that you do not lose a unit and manage to finish the battle is worth it.

Keeping your allies is the best rather than letting them stay fallen.

For example:

I beat the game and did not lose anyone in my party because I re-set the game to finish that battle. 2nd time playing the final battle I lost two units and still beat the game. At the end is says, retired- depending who is was that fell in battle. If it was any other person, it would say they died.

Whether a person re-sets the game or not does not make you any less of a player or any less of a FE fan.

I think that this person who is bickering has it all wrong. Playing the game on casual and then re-setting defeats the purpose on playing it on casual. On casual you should not have to reset while in classic you should.
#74omgsealPosted 2/15/2013 4:31:07 PM
I don't understand why someone would care how someone else plays their game.
#75SpikayaPosted 2/15/2013 4:58:33 PM
There's a reason why Casual mode is called CASUAL mode. I'm playing it on Casual because I'd rather play games to relax after school, not flush all my free time down the toilet to find an amazing strategy that might still get screwed over because of RNG. I'm still having tons of fun with the game.
---
Fire Emblem: Awakening.
#76ljkkjlcm9Posted 2/15/2013 4:58:48 PM
I love fire emblem, I enjoyed the challenge and always reset in the past. But as some people have said, I just don't have the time anymore to replay the entire mission if someone dies. Depending on what happens I may still restart, but I really don't have the time to replay a 2 hour long mission.

It's essentially the same fire emblem game play wise, my strategy is the same, defensive instead of offensive, protect weaker units, pairing them up in this game keeps them safe EASILY. Take Donnel, put him as secondary, slowly gains exp, but builds up a good support making him EASILY viable even when under leveled as long as he is paired up.

It's not that this game is harder than any previous ones, I just don't want to restart from stupid mistakes at the end of a battle, or RNG ridiculousness.
Plus I get to employ and Ender's Game type strategy.

THE JACKEL
#77OmniImmortalPosted 2/15/2013 5:00:41 PM
Thing is, classic/casual doesn't really matter on normal+hard, and it could be argued for lunatic too. It's easy enough that focusing one character, say Chrom/MU, let em soak up exp abusing the Fredrick armor until they are op themselves, solo the game with them or pair em up to level other characters.
#78A_MAZ_INGPosted 2/17/2013 4:44:04 PM
Xuicsus posted...
If you want true "classic mode", then FE should have done what X-Com did. There's no way to avoid the perma-death once it happens.

As it stands, I think I stand with the others that playing on classic mode is more of a "nerd prize" than of an actual experience. Until FE can counter being able to reset the game, people will just continue to reset the game. Very few will actually play as it is meant to be played: with zero resets. The temptation is just far too great really.

I guess you must feel the entire series is a "Nerd prize", because before this that's how every game was.

And there is nothing to "counter", as stated, resetting the game to avoid death was something the developers intended. They're well aware of the strategy, they're is nothing to counter.
#79PrinceOfHotPosted 2/17/2013 4:45:42 PM
Casual is the best. ALl your characters should be treated like the dirty little zergs that they are.
#80AtmosOmegaPosted 2/17/2013 4:52:40 PM
AzN_KiRbY890 posted...
Playing on classic adds a lot more depth and strategy to the game. Your mindset is set to prevent anyone (for most people, everyone) from dying, and you will get penalized for it if you screw up.

Well, it adds something resembling depth and strategy to the game.
Not a lot, since the game is very easy to figure out once you realize how pathetically stupid and predictable the AI is.
---
If you don't like what a gaming company is trying to force upon you and the market, don't buy that company's games.
Cruel DRM can only flourish if you let it.