Why did Nintendo of America create an artificial demand for this game?

#31el_pablo65Posted 2/16/2013 3:46:10 PM
Arrei posted...
Rob_Indahood posted...
Not buying digitally unless they give me a good incentive to. realistically, it should be at least $10 less to buy digital. But it's the same, sans tax.

Take your beef to the retailers then. Nintendo can't price their games cheaper on the eShop or the physical stores would toss a fit.

Yeah, this isn't true.

Sony sells digital copies of their games, at launch, with a $5 discount. Five bucks off of a 60 dollar game isn't a huge discount but you add in the lack of sales tax and it's about a $10 savings depending on where you live.

This was a deliberate move by Nintendo to increase digital sales and overall eShop awareness. They gave the game a demo, they knew people were excited about it and then they shorted the pre-orders at Amazon and Game Stop and the local Wal Mart here in Chicago area (major population) got 2 copies for launch.

Nintendo said the hold up was customs, two weeks ago, then promoted the eShop availability. If you believe they are still held up in customs two weeks later you have some tight fanboy goggles.
---
super.....human....androids
#32ArreiPosted 2/16/2013 3:50:14 PM
parKb5 posted...
I think if retailers like GameStop didn't "toss a fit" because their shipments were delayed and they couldn't even fill pre-orders on time; they are not going to throw a fit over a price cut for digital games.

That'd only apply if Nintendo themselves was the cause of the delayed shipments. Considering some Gamestops got the game early, some got the game on time, and even Target had their copies on the release date, the most likely culprit is the shipping company used by these retailers and tossing a fit at Nintendo would do no good.

Case in point: A new Stephen King book comes out and at the book store, they are selling the hardcover for about $25.00, I go to my Kindle and I can download a digital copy for the low price of $14.00.

Shouldn't games work the same way?

Well, I actually don't disagree that they SHOULD work that way, I'm just saying it's not really in the cards... plus aren't specialized bookstores dying out? Perhaps that's the very reason why.

But I must mention however, that books do operate in way I don't particularly understand, with their different price points.
#33SoljahPosted 2/16/2013 3:51:00 PM
Litlrox posted...
I pre-ordered mine through Amazon and before its release, there was a delay. Not sure how long that delay was going to be but it went past the day it was released and I just could not wait any longer so I cancelled my pre-order and just downloaded the game.
Now I am very pleased!

mine was delyaed a couple days, nothing too major only got it yesterday. They should give you some money back or something for that though.
---
Your Friendly Monster Hunter Soljah
http://i.imgur.com/BzYfm.jpg
#34progamer2290Posted 2/16/2013 3:54:21 PM
Comray002 posted...
lunarknight64 posted...
it's not really Nintendo's fault you would rather wait for a physical copy rather then download it and play it now

No, guy. It IS Nintendo's fault. Transferring downloaded games on the Wii to the Wii U is a mess, and it links to the console. Buying games on the 3DS e-shop links the game to the console. What happens if his 3DS bricks? He wasted 40$. Nintendo's online services are in a state of absolute bedlam. I'm reading news articles about people losing their digital Nintendo games just about every damn day.

Also, in the case of this game, it takes up over 50% of the space on the included SD card, so the load times and speed of the game would be dismal.

So yes, it is Nintendo's fault that he is doing whatever he can to not get f***ed. I would suggest that he order the game online.

lol 3ds brick?
---
THE GAME!
3DS FC: 3093 7069 3182 ----- Pokemon Black FC: 2666 1379 8243
#35ArreiPosted 2/16/2013 3:56:59 PM
el_pablo65 posted...
Sony sells digital copies of their games, at launch, with a $5 discount. Five bucks off of a 60 dollar game isn't a huge discount but you add in the lack of sales tax and it's about a $10 savings depending on where you live.

This was a deliberate move by Nintendo to increase digital sales and overall eShop awareness. They gave the game a demo, they knew people were excited about it and then they shorted the pre-orders at Amazon and Game Stop and the local Wal Mart here in Chicago area (major population) got 2 copies for launch.

Nintendo said the hold up was customs, two weeks ago, then promoted the eShop availability. If you believe they are still held up in customs two weeks later you have some tight fanboy goggles.

See, now you're mixing the shipping delays with lack of stock. As did all the others spewing the rumor about pushing the eShop. First the shipping delays were supposed to push the eShop, despite some retailers actually getting the game ahead of time and the theory not making a lick of sense in light of that. Then we found that stock was limited, and the eShop rumor was then lifted over to explain that too. It was a baseless theory transplanted to "explain" two different events.

As for Sony, what are these discounts? The PS Plus one week discount that requires a subscription fee? Coupons? Their games are priced the same if not for those, and the same reason is given.
#36el_pablo65Posted 2/16/2013 4:07:07 PM
Arrei posted...
See, now you're mixing the shipping delays with lack of stock. As did all the others spewing the rumor about pushing the eShop. First the shipping delays were supposed to push the eShop, despite some retailers actually getting the game ahead of time and the theory not making a lick of sense in light of that. Then we found that stock was limited, and the eShop rumor was then lifted over to explain that too. It was a baseless theory transplanted to "explain" two different events.

As for Sony, what are these discounts? The PS Plus one week discount that requires a subscription fee? Coupons? Their games are priced the same if not for those, and the same reason is given.

Again, that's just not the case. Any new game that is available on PSN at launch is five dollars less than retail to anyone that wants to buy it. I could fire up my system and read you off some titles for you if you like. Anyone who owns a PS3 knows this is true.

Say what you will about the shipping hold up. I just know that one website asked them why they couldn't find this game in stores and their response was customs (and readily available on eShop). Our Wal Mart did get 2 copies and the Game Stops in this area did not get enough to fill their orders. The current wait at Game Stop, according to the manager (my friend and former co-worker) is hopefully they have some in two weeks. He said this today.

Take off the goggles, Nintendo is making a deliberate push.
---
super.....human....androids
#37ArreiPosted 2/16/2013 4:23:31 PM(edited)
el_pablo65 posted...
Again, that's just not the case. Any new game that is available on PSN at launch is five dollars less than retail to anyone that wants to buy it. I could fire up my system and read you off some titles for you if you like. Anyone who owns a PS3 knows this is true.

I must admit I cannot see for myself seeing as I don't buy on PSN, but digging into the topic on Google gets me information dated Sept. 25 of last year that says retail games purchased digitally are priced at 10% off for PS Plus members who also preordered the game, while non-members have to pay normal price - a development that triggered the same complaints and same explanations in comments sections.

Say what you will about the shipping hold up. I just know that one website asked them why they couldn't find this game in stores and their response was customs (and readily available on eShop). Our Wal Mart did get 2 copies and the Game Stops in this area did not get enough to fill their orders. The current wait at Game Stop, according to the manager (my friend and former co-worker) is hopefully they have some in two weeks. He said this today.

And... how does that equate to a deliberate push for the eShop, exactly? There is nothing there except "There isn't enough of the game", and "Nintendo suggested the eShop". Last I checked, games have had supply issues in the past and those did not equate to "Buy it digitally".
#38sinnistralPosted 2/16/2013 4:29:40 PM
There was a whole stack of 10-15 copies at my local EB Games in Toronto when I picked up two copies on the 4th o.O
#39Legendary_MusasPosted 2/16/2013 4:48:32 PM(edited)
I prefer owning physical copies for the pure and simple fact that it feels like you actually own it.

- Digital games are sold at the same price (most are actually much more expensive for reasons unknown - just look at the Playstation Store) as Manufactured products.
- If they stop using that online service and your game is deleted somehow or you lose your console/it breaks then your game is lost.
- Takes up space which means you NEED an SD card, sure you can get them cheap but it IS extra money you wouldn't need if you got the physical copy.

This is the reason why I won't be getting the Fire Emblem XL bundle (Europe). I will buy the physical copy and the Pikachu XL :)

Also I'm a PS plus member and most of the digital games on there are RIDICULOUSLY overpriced, I have NEVER seen a new game in shop sell for over 50.
---
A__A
(o'_.'o)
#40billyu5Posted 2/16/2013 4:49:53 PM
Had my physical copy for a week. You must be unlucky. Or you didn't preorder. They almost never get extras with the preorders. Fire Emblem has never had a real big following in America. Pretty much one of those cult type following games.