Does anyone bother with snipers or bow knights?

#1qynveePosted 2/17/2013 4:17:16 AM(edited)
Between 1~2 range axes and lances, in addition to swords just being full-on cheatyface mode out of the physical weapons -- magical swords, throwable swords, swords-with-Sol-glued-on, brave-swords-with-crit-built-in -- it just seems like bows are a poor way to leverage physical damage.

The base caps on these two classes are also nothing to write home about compared with for example Assassin, which most characters who have access to Sniper also have access to. Sure, there's the Longbow, but it's not a game changer like Mire, and you can just put one on your Assassin as an afterthought.

In fact, I think the only character I had spend any significant time as a Sniper was Chrom, since there was no other way to min/max him without the Sniper Hit+20 skill out of his limited class selection. Of course, grinding massively wasted time when a bunch of melee enemies surrounded him as I did my usual wait-spam.
#2OmegChosenPosted 2/17/2013 4:20:17 AM
I like Snipers so I've kept Noire as one. Dunno, just something about female Snipers I've always liked.

Also, longbows can only be used by Archers/Snipers.
#3DemiseEndPosted 2/17/2013 4:22:10 AM
Theres a reason they have been mostly considered to be the worst class ever
---
Real Metal bounces their breast. Deal with it
#4jonnovision1Posted 2/17/2013 4:24:03 AM
well there will always be those that like the classes, despite bows arguably being the worst weapon-type in the game.
---
"Reinforcements? I am the Reinforcements."
PKMN Black FC: 0261 9500 8363
#5kukingina2Posted 2/17/2013 4:24:27 AM
bow knight is ok because of bowbreaker that can be passed down to kids with a flying class
---
Anime is saved - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsWh8i9EY_U
3ds fc: 4940-5506-2047
#6kyatteiPosted 2/17/2013 4:26:21 AM
I've been toying with my MU as a sniper for my latest run. As you say, it's certainly not the most efficient. But it's viable.

I'd say galeforce is a must though, since most of my tactics around using her are "move within 3 tiles of enemy, fire and kill them, then use galeforce to either move out of attack range again or switch to her melee partner." Though I don't have it yet, I think the Astra Bow will make bow users better in general - It lets you have an attack skill without needing to waste one of your precious skills slots on it. Double Bow, likewise, makes up for (or adds to) Bowfaire as well.
---
3DS: 4167 - 5242 - 9297 || PSN: sparrowgirl
http://backloggery.com/kyattei
#7BedsheetGhostPosted 2/17/2013 4:48:18 AM
I didn't use Archers, Snipers, or Bow Knights at all in my first playthrough. Trying to remedy that in my second.
---
My karma ran over your dogma.
#8KalanyrPosted 2/17/2013 5:09:53 AM
Bow Knights also get to use swords if you want to go that way and Snipers can use 2-3 Range bows (though 2-3 range bows are only really useful for shooting mages and throwing weapon enemies). .

I'd love to know how physics works in Fire Emblem Awakening if a Knight can walk 4 times further in 1 turn than you can shoot an arrow.

Virion did turn out terribly for me but that's largely because his Speed growth failed hard, he almost never got to double and his strength wasn't anywhere near good enough to 1 hit kill), so I'm not sure I can blame that on his class.
#9DemiseEndPosted 2/17/2013 5:11:52 AM
This is a game where a man can lift a horse and walk faster than arrows

Better not think about the logic
---
Real Metal bounces their breast. Deal with it
#10ShivaoftheEastPosted 2/17/2013 5:23:06 AM
I love snipers, always have and always will. Virion is easily one of my best units for damage with him Brave/Silver bows.