I've been having serious second thoughts about Awakening. *minor spoilers*

#91BufkusPosted 2/18/2013 12:47:51 PM
The problem with your analysis is that you're comparing it to your expectations based on previous games, rather than trying to hold it up as a game on its own. Except for maybe the balance part, but really, who cares about that?

Giving the game less than a 5/10 is asinine because you're basically saying that despite the massive amount of content and overall enjoyability, it's still worse than games like Shining Force, Vandal Hearts, etc., in other words, non-FE SRPGs that are mediocre due to their poor design. The only thing Awakening is at fault for is not being remotely similar to previous games in the series.
#92PK_GamingPosted 2/18/2013 12:51:32 PM
I'm not sure why people are calling out this games story

Fire Emblem stories have always been dreadful or cliched. Only FE4/5/9(eh moreso the universe than the story) had a good story.
---
I know the Keyblade didn't choose me, and I don't care.
I'm proud to be a small part of something bigger-- the people it did choose.
#93Koishi_KomeijiPosted 2/18/2013 12:57:43 PM(edited)
1. Yeah, they could have fleshed it out more. I felt the story was really rushed at points, and it didn't flow together well.

2. Pretty much. I was surprised by that, though a lot of the earlier FEs admittedly didn't have the most complex of villains.

3. I think part of the reason for this is that a lot of the support conversations (at least the ones I've seen so far) are pretty much along the same tone as each other, like Lon'qu's supports with women all being about getting over his fear of women (correct me if I'm wrong). When a secondary personality trait is explored in them, it sometimes doesn't feel like a natural part of the character.

4. I'm not expert enough to say here. I'd say previous FEs had imbalanced weapons and characters as well, but the problem here is that money/EXP/weapons in this game are treated as an infinite resource. I think the problem is they were undecided about whether to factor the grinding into the difficulty curve.

4a. I'd have to disagree a little bit. I could see 3 or 4 children being recruited in a normal run, though most will admittedly be too weak to actually use.

4b. I'm not expert enough to say, though as someone a few chapters into Lunatic, I'm not really surprised.

5. Same as above.

6. Eh, I don't see a problem with the tone.

7. The map design did blend together by the end. However, in terms of secondary objectives, I was glad that not every map involved getting somewhere fast or thieves will make off with *all* the items (and the lockpicks!) like FE7 did over and over. It's worth noting that a lot of elements they removed (like the effect staves and abundance of long-range tomes) were handled poorly in earlier games except maybe FE5 (that is, small chance of hit, barely does anything except forcing you to waste an extra Heal/Restore).

I do still feel it's an above-average game, and I enjoyed it thoroughly and plan to play through it many more times, but I did have some of these thoughts on the first playthrough too, so it's good to see some people also feel that way.

Also, the comments about how to keep it challenging despite the open world are interesting. I'm drafting a possibility of making a similar style of game, and was wondering just how to balance that.
---
I'm not with you.
You're not with me.
#94azn_boy150Posted 2/18/2013 12:53:01 PM
PK_Gaming posted...

Fire Emblem stories have always been dreadful or cliched. Only FE4/5/9(eh moreso the universe than the story) had a good story.

Still not an excuse to put little to no effort into the story.
---
I'm my own best friend and worst enemy. Often at the same time.
#95TheChronoMasterPosted 2/18/2013 12:55:13 PM
azn_boy150 posted...
PK_Gaming posted...

True, but expectations should also factor in here -- nobody should have been expecting much from this game's plot when it was a spiritual successor to FE1-3-11-12, both of which have very straightforward, simple plots with a few interesting moments and characters, which is what this game has.

I am disappointed it's not up to the FE4-5 standard, but I've been disappointed in that in every FE game since, so I expected that.
#96azn_boy150Posted 2/18/2013 12:59:39 PM
TheChronoMaster posted...
azn_boy150 posted...
PK_Gaming posted...

True, but expectations should also factor in here -- nobody should have been expecting much from this game's plot when it was a spiritual successor to FE1-3-11-12, both of which have very straightforward, simple plots with a few interesting moments and characters, which is what this game has.

I am disappointed it's not up to the FE4-5 standard, but I've been disappointed in that in every FE game since, so I expected that.

Why do you assume the complaints are because of unrequited expectations? I never had any expectations of the story, but I still hate it.
---
I'm my own best friend and worst enemy. Often at the same time.
#97Ame_no_MurakumoPosted 2/18/2013 1:00:20 PM
Is_Corrupted posted...
WestbrickIII posted...
What wasn't to love? As it turns out, a lot of things. That initial import thrill has died down for me and has been replaced by deep disappointment. Awakening isn't a perfect game; I'm not even sure it's a good game.

About time people start realising this. Of course you and I will be called endgames or something.

Also wondering what you plan to do with your review.

About time? So there's only one opinion on this game that should exist? If people hate it, fine. If people like it, fine, but saying that makes it sound like everyone should hate and it shouldn't be possible for anyone to like it.

Of course, these kinds of things are said about every game ever made, so it's not surprising.
---
Playing: Fire Emblem: Awakening | youtube.com/KnightSaziel
Steam: KnightSaziel | 3DS FC: 5456-0205-3948
#98TheLastBladePosted 2/18/2013 1:04:14 PM
azn_boy150 posted...
TheLastBlade posted...
azn_boy150 posted...
After loving the game so much during the week, and getting all upset about soon after... Good lord it feels like I just played a new Call of Duty game.

This is a weird attitude I will never understand.

If you really like something, but later you stop enjoying it, does that devalue the time you enjoyed it somehow?

You might never be able to like it again, but does that retroactively make your experience worse? Do you somehow regret liking it at the time?

I think there's that side of him that likes to over analyze things. Though, being legit is another story.

If you have a problem with my overly analytic tendencies, just ignore me, instead of insulting the legitimacy of my opinions.

Didn't mean that as an offense. I meant that, looking at it deeper, it has it's flaws.
#99TheChronoMasterPosted 2/18/2013 1:06:50 PM(edited)
azn_boy150 posted...
azn_boy150 posted...
PK_Gaming posted...

Why do you assume the complaints are because of unrequited expectations? I never had any expectations of the story, but I still hate it.

Shrug.

I just find it difficult to get bothered by something I had zero expectations for to begin with. That's me, personally, mind. Not saying that has to apply to everyone.

I understand and respect you and Wes' points to be sure -- I just don't agree that all of them drag the game down. I find it enjoyable more than I find it boring, and that's enough for me.

(that said, it is enjoyable for different reasons than previous FE games, which SHOULD be clearly established)
#100MKaykitkatsPosted 2/18/2013 1:11:25 PM
I agree with most of the points you listed, TC. I've been working on the FAQ since the release in Japan, and have done multiple play-throughs on varying difficulties, and the work and time spent on this can generally disenchant any player, I assume. I generally prefer to look back and review a game a month or so after the initial hype dies down to give a more stable opinion for this reason.

The game is certainly not bad, though. Thank you for the well thought out posts.
---
Badger GET!!!