What the hell is some people's beef with archers/snipers?

#51GhebPosted 2/20/2013 12:41:43 PM
GeekyDad posted...
FujibayashiSuzu posted...
Personally my dislike for them is simply they can't counterattack. They're not BAD units but. I just prefer my units being able to defend themselves.

My archer counterattacks all the time. They're great against mages, javelin throwers, and other archers.

The only way an archer will ever counter-attack is if the only possible way for the enemy to attack you is from a range. That is an incredibly limited scenario. In any other case they will attack in a way that doesn't allow them to be counter-attacked.
---
*Is Gheb*
#52SharperKnivesPosted 2/20/2013 12:42:30 PM
GeekyDad posted...
FujibayashiSuzu posted...
Personally my dislike for them is simply they can't counterattack. They're not BAD units but. I just prefer my units being able to defend themselves.

My archer counterattacks all the time. They're great against mages, javelin throwers, and other archers.

mage units tend to get right up in my grill when killing my archer
---
People should not fear their governments, governments should fear their people.
#53SolnuaPosted 2/20/2013 12:45:11 PM
Archers have their occasional uses. They're certainly viable, but they're the worst class due to their mono-bow restrictions.
---
"True, Gregor just finish killing former employers, but still very reliable!"
#54adamoldenPosted 2/20/2013 12:45:44 PM
Not being able to counter attack for archers has always been ridiculous. They should be able to use a class of weapons like daggers, like in most rpgs. But I kinda like how they are when they aren't RNG screwed. Dodging attack, re-positioning, then finishing off the unit that tried to OHKO you is pretty bad ass.

BTW when you could set mines, like any good sniper should be able, and when keeping your distance, you should never be attacked directly (aside from flying units who move in fast but who would be suicidal since you'd OHKO them on your turn.

Keep some mines on the archer was always the bomb, hehe puns. You didn't need to babysit them as much and could handle things well.

At least you can partner in FE:A, and since I kinda wan to run a MU archer character, and get galeforce on morgan, to make for some rapid fire death rains when i make her sniper and pair her with my bow knight MU. Daddy rides a horse mommy rides a flying horse. Oh loveeeeeeeely...
#55SolnuaPosted 2/20/2013 12:53:10 PM
Orange042 posted...
Well by that logic bow knights would be kinda useless too during the enemy phase if you used a bow to attack the previous phase, almost anything is useless if you used a bow to attack the previous turn, since they won't be able to counter attack melee guys.

True, but they at least have a choice to equip a melee weapon and counterattack a few times when simple archery won't do the trick. That variability alone makes bow knights more useful than Archers / Snipers.

Moreover, the Sniper stat caps aren't all that great. The enormous Skill stat isn't all that useful (outside of % based skills), and the other stats are pretty much average or below average.
---
"True, Gregor just finish killing former employers, but still very reliable!"
#56Cookie BagPosted 2/20/2013 12:55:12 PM
I like how i can get rid of pegasi and wyvern riders easily with them...
---
Give me my god DAMN TEA!
#57kingbriannPosted 2/20/2013 12:56:27 PM
no crossbows = no counter attk
assasin and warrior and bowknight can bow use bows and have better caps than a sniper
bows are usually only used against flying units. wyrmslayer and wind magic can take care of that.

horrible caps. horrible skills. hit rate + 20?
LOL

given sniper skill he can get a garuntee hit alrdy unless enemy is using bowbreaker.

unless they bring back the sniper skill from radiant dawn i think sniper/ archers are worthless.
---
3ds XL FC : 1461-7483-3739 l Nintendo Network ID: kingbrian
PSN: kinggbrian
#58DexterTheThirdPosted 2/20/2013 12:56:52 PM
A few reasons why I like Archers in this one:

- No Counterattacks is actually useful for leveling up weaker units, just bait them while you're on a forest or fort and let someone else finish the job. High-level archers get enough speed/skill/avoid to do this.

- Longbows are fun. Nuff said.

- They actually give pretty decent, flexible support bonuses in this. A nice balance of Str/Skl/Spd/Def, good for practically any non-Mag combat unit.

I'm not using Virion, but I reclassed Cynthia as a Sniper and she's doing pretty well paired with Lucina.
---
RIP Hero Fly Chao http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/23/238561.png
New posters, read: http://pbskids.org/arthur/games/factsopinions/
#59kingbriannPosted 2/20/2013 12:59:18 PM
DexterTheThird posted...
A few reasons why I like Archers in this one:

- No Counterattacks is actually useful for leveling up weaker units, just bait them while you're on a forest or fort and let someone else finish the job. High-level archers get enough speed/skill/avoid to do this.

- Longbows are fun. Nuff said.

- They actually give pretty decent, flexible support bonuses in this. A nice balance of Str/Skl/Spd/Def, good for practically any non-Mag combat unit.

I'm not using Virion, but I reclassed Cynthia as a Sniper and she's doing pretty well paired with Lucina.

longbows only give an extra range. thats all.
bait them? why dont you try baiting people with an archer in lunatic? given that their def cap isnt even half decent. id rather have a general with no items equip on bait for me.

paladins give way better support than archers and they also have good mobility.
---
3ds XL FC : 1461-7483-3739 l Nintendo Network ID: kingbrian
PSN: kinggbrian
#60MetalKirbyPlushPosted 2/20/2013 1:04:03 PM(edited)
Cookie Bag posted...
I like how i can get rid of pegasi and wyvern riders easily with them...

Problem is that a Warrior and Assassin have access to the same flier-killing weapon and with the benefit of substantially higher Str or Skl & Spd respectively. Assassins can use a regular sword, levin sword, and bow so there's literally no unit they can't handle outside of counters being taxing on their defense (something that Archer classes don't exactly boast in either).

I like Virion as a character, but things like throwing axes, spears, the magic weapons, and Wind simply invalidate archers solely because they can't counteract. It's a fundamental issue that they've eternally suffered with.

Archer supporting Mage is probably the only major benefit I can give them. It's the best way to round out a Mage as it removes Pegasus Knights off their list of counter units.
---
Samus ruined Metroid forever. She keeps killing them. ~CTsChoco