I don't get why people are so cut up about the level design.

#1saturn_frogurtPosted 2/21/2013 4:12:04 AM
I would rather use tactics to effectively dispatch enemies than slowly move my units across a cumbersome map.
---
- Swap God for a janitor, rot in a jar of dog paws -
Put a pinch of sage in your boots, and all day long a spicy scent is your reward.
#2578t7645uyb5Posted 2/21/2013 4:17:25 AM
I really enjoyed the amount of level variety in Radiant Dawn. A lot better than this game.
---
Xenoblade is the spiritual successor of FF12.
999 and Zero Escape both deserve are Visual Novels to DIE for.
#3Enemy_AC130Posted 2/21/2013 4:20:39 AM
It doesn't have to be cumbersome to be well designed.
---
Greatest STP of all time: http://i52.tinypic.com/2nv4g3m.jpg
#4Wynters387Posted 2/21/2013 4:22:03 AM
I loved maps where you had to protect someone in the thrown room.

With indoor fighter as a skill I wish there was more indoor fighting
Don't get me wrong I love this game.
---
Remember Senor, crafter of love.
President of the NDF Official Archeops of the Pokemon X Board
#5arvilinoPosted 2/21/2013 4:28:52 AM
This one focuses more on the enemy placement a placing pressure on the player to make the important moves early on and allows even without the Pair Up feature low move classes like Armoured Knights to be utilized but this one only has defeat boss and route enemy objectives, but enemy placement and NPC placement can dramatically affect some of the chapters(especially some of paralogues).

The other ones allow more time between enemy groups outside of certain chapter objectives or even optional ones due to the larger maps, but a few of them give more completion objectives(note FE1,FE2,FE3,FE4,FE6,FE11 and FE12 only have 1 or 2 possible chapter complete objectives).
#6KinectricPosted 2/21/2013 4:33:03 AM
arvilino posted...
This one focuses more on the enemy placement a placing pressure on the player to make the important moves early on and allows even without the Pair Up feature low move classes like Armoured Knights to be utilized but this one only has defeat boss and route enemy objectives, but enemy placement and NPC placement can dramatically affect some of the chapters(especially some of paralogues).

The other ones allow more time between enemy groups outside of certain chapter objectives or even optional ones due to the larger maps, but a few of them give more completion objectives(note FE1,FE2,FE3,FE4,FE6,FE11 and FE12 only have 1 or 2 possible chapter complete objectives).

I tried to read your post but couldn't get past the first sentence.
---
Saa, Omae no Tsumi wo Kazoero!
#7Jashin_SamaPosted 2/21/2013 6:45:25 AM
I miss the levels like in Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn, where you had to protect an objective and hold the line and the game really pressured you with an endless stream of enemies on all fronts. Those were nice, and they gave a ton of experience.
---
Who the hell is Zilong17? Probably Black Chaos Soldier's alt. - MegaSTV
#8bcoulter1994Posted 2/21/2013 7:02:21 AM
the complaints about desighn are over blown but variety would be welcome
#9DemiseEndPosted 2/21/2013 7:23:57 AM
Compare the maps in awakening

To Murder Hollace
To Empires Strikes Back, okay maybe not Empire Strikes Back but one stage AFTER that
To Open Fire
To Cog
To SoS Cog
To the entirety of MPB
To FE7 Dessert
To Four Fanged Offense
To Crazed Beast

THOSE are what you call good map design
---
Real Metal bounces their breast. Deal with it
#10Rideps1Posted 2/21/2013 7:27:44 AM
Aesthetically they are wonderful, and there are certainly a few nice maps. But for the most part, the layouts are just bland, and a good chunk of them are mostly symmetrical. The last map is a particularly bad offender, the whole grid can be walked on despite the fact that there isn't ground on a good bit of it. That's just horrible design.

A few of the maps ARE great, but many of them I can only remember the layouts because I played them yesterday or because they are extremely open. A bunch of forests and forts does not make an empty map excusable *COUGH COUGH* Walhart *COUGH*.

I remember some of the map layouts in PoR still, and I haven't played that in years.

I also admit I haven't recruited all the kids yet, so maybe the remaining maps are amazing. I did like most of the one's I have done.

Oh, and the Risen General battle's map is ok. It at least has a few walls to break up the bum rush, and sand levels tend to feel right with sparseness. The level after that though..... pillars and stairs is all there is in a huge box. That is just plain boring.
---
BEHOLD THE POWER OF SARDINES!