Rate the Skill,Chapter 10: Astra and Swordfaire

#1guedesbrawlPosted 2/22/2013 6:05:03 PM
Eh, not many votes, as expected of 1st tier skills.

-Skill Ranking-
S Rank:
*Aether (Great Lord,Lv5)
*Veteran (Tactician,Lv1)
*Armsthrift (Mercenary,Lv1)
A Rank:
*Rightful King (Great Lord,Lv15)
*Ignis (Grandmaster,Lv5)
*Sol (Hero,Lv5)
*Rally Spectrum (Grandmaster,Lv15)
B Rank:
*Dual Strike+ (Lord,Lv1)
*Axebreaker (Hero,Lv15)
*Vantage (Myrmidon,Lv1)
C Rank:
*Solidarity (Tactician,Lv10)
*Patience (Mercenary,Lv10)
*Avoid +10 (Myrmidon,Lv10)
D Rank:
*Charm (Lord,Lv10)

Now we are going for the 2st tier class ALSO no longer has a crit bonus...

Characters that start with both skills: Say'ri, Yen'fay.
Characters that can learn either skill*:Lon'qu, Sully, Stahl, Gaius, Gregor, Olivia, Owain, Inigo, Kjelle, Priam, Avatar, Morgan.
Characters that can Inherit the skill and class required**: Lucina (Sully, Olivia, Avatar), Cynthia (Avatar, Gaius), Brady, Severa, Gerome, Yarne, Laurent, Noire and Nah.
*this covers only a character's base class/reclass options.
**this means it's not a default reclassing option,requiring a parent listed above.

Well, here we go.

Astra is another % skill (activation rate is Skill/2). Whenever it happens, your character will strike 5 times, but will do only half of the damage of a normal attack. The total damage will be 2,5 times of a normal attack's, if you can't do the math.

While no other skills like Aether or Sol can activate during Astra, Criticals can still happen in any of the 5 hits, so the total damage can be much higher. Two little noteworthy things is that defensive skills, including Dual Guard, will block all 5 hits if they activate and that there is a Bow named Astra gives this skill by default, much like the Sol Sword mentioned in C8 (...yeah, t'was not a Lance, sorry.).

A good activation rate coupled with a good damage output and 5 critical chances all make Astra worthy of an A rank.

Now, about the other skill...Swordfaire, simply put, will give a +5 Attack boost whenever the user has a sword equipped (+5 Strength for normal swords, +5 Magic for magical ones)

The thing is, if you can use swords you are very likely to be fast, and will double many of the opponents that are in your way....making this skill add 10 extra attack points most of the time.

Considering Swords are the weakest weapon type, it's a much appreciated boost. I give it a B rank.

But i certainly would trade either of those for a Crit +15/20/30 skill, even if it's for some reason locked to Swordmasters, Bersekers and maybe Snipers. Any day.
---
Confession Time!
jRPGs are pretty much the best thing that ever happened to Video Games - Soanevalcke6
#2MetaFalconPunchPosted 2/22/2013 6:06:37 PM
guedesbrawl posted...
But i certainly would trade either of those for a Crit +15/20/30 skill, even if it's for some reason locked to Swordmasters, Bersekers and maybe Snipers. Any day.

True that.
---
Pretend this signature is a basilisk. You are now dead.
Claims the Speed Booster. SHINE-SPAAARRRKKK!!!
#3FFFanatic1234Posted 2/22/2013 6:11:05 PM
Swordfaire.... eh, B. 5 damage isn't really all that much at the point I'm at.

Astra: S, all the way.
---
Official Sabin and Layle of the Dissidia 012: Duodecim Final Fantasy Board.
#4Model_OmegaPosted 2/22/2013 6:14:55 PM
A for both, Sword users typically have attack issues, and high speed makes Swordfaire a blessing, Astra is held back from an S due to it's lower proc rate.
---
Flak Jacket: Survive multiple rockets and grenades exploding by your feet, scratch from a knife to your shin insta-kills you, seems pretty legit.
#5ChocolateluverxPosted 2/22/2013 6:15:22 PM
quick question-Brave weapons and Astra successfully work together, right? That is, best case scenario means that a Brave weapon with Astra can give 20 strikes, since 4x5= 20, right?
---
Please make a new LeBlanc skin already!!
#6guedesbrawl(Topic Creator)Posted 2/22/2013 6:17:33 PM
i think so.

imagine if all 20 hits are criticals.
---
Confession Time!
jRPGs are pretty much the best thing that ever happened to Video Games - Soanevalcke6
#7Smash MasterPosted 2/22/2013 6:18:01 PM
Swordfaire... B. If you want your unit specializing swords its an A, if you don't its a C or D (depending on if their intended final class can use them), so B seems to be a good compromise.

Astra, S. Yeah, its awesome.
---
This is a sig, woo.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/If_They_Were/index.php?act=idx
#8MoonLightCloudPosted 2/22/2013 6:19:26 PM
Astra: S
Swordfaire: C
#9LurkerkillerPosted 2/22/2013 6:19:40 PM
Astra - B, powerful skill when it activates but on average it will do about as much damage as Aether but without the healing effect due to Aether's first strike having Sol.

While Astra has potentially the ability to go to up 7.5 times damage, chances of all 5 strikes critting are unlikely. While on Aether, if one of the two hits crit, it's a much bigger influence.

Astra also isn't something that is going to help keep you alive, it just helps you kill others faster if it activates.

Swordfaire - A rank. Lowest damaging out of the weapon triangle making this faire much more valuable in my opinion than the others. Plus as mentioned, usually sword users are fast and typically will be able to double.

Typically for me, this skill is what determines on if I kill an enemy in 1 turn or not for a sword user.
---
LoL NA: Lurkerkiller
SC2 NA: Lurkerkiller.301
#10Sain_of_CaelinPosted 2/22/2013 6:24:43 PM
Swordfaire- A

Astra- B Great effect, low proc rate holds it back
---
http://www.backloggery.com/sainthegoo
https://www.youtube.com/user/VicariousBrian/videos?view=1&flow=grid