Rate the Skill,Chapter 10: Astra and Swordfaire

#41RavarynPosted 2/23/2013 12:14:00 AM
Astra: A. One of the coolest proc rate skills. Rate on it may not be exceptional, but it's certainly not bad, and when you DO hit Astra, whatever you're looking at is probably dead since the effective damage range is 250%~750%, depending on your luck. The only major downside is that it tends to fall flat against beefier targets with enough DEF.

Swordfaire: B. Like all X-faire skills, it's a solid boost that's great for anyone who uses that weapon type...and swords certainly need the boost. Not really much else to be said about it.
#42PK_GamingPosted 2/23/2013 12:24:50 AM
A for Astra

Swordfaire: B
---
I know the Keyblade didn't choose me, and I don't care.
I'm proud to be a small part of something bigger-- the people it did choose.
#43iambored90Posted 2/23/2013 3:38:02 AM
Astra: A.

A fairly reliable skill and great for its intended class.

Swordfaire: C

I would have given it a higher rating if this was the lv 5 skill. Don't think it justifies the extra 5 levels from 10-15 when I can just reclass and get more level ups and more progress to another lv 15 skill.
#44FactionsJimPosted 2/23/2013 4:11:38 AM
Astra - S - 5 attacks with extra chances to crit is just amazing. That it works for all weapons and spells makes it even better. The proc chance is a little lower than maybe preferred, which almost held it back from S for me. The main benefit is that as a damage proc skill, it is both awesome and rather widely available, unlike some of the other powerful skills like Aether that's very limited. If it were more exclusive, would be a lower rank, but for many characters this is one of the few proc damaging skills available.

Swordfaire - B - Being the rank 15 skill means it takes a lot more extra grinding to get and it's not that great. Best of the -faire skills though, which makes it a B and not a C.
#45guedesbrawl(Topic Creator)Posted 2/23/2013 6:51:19 AM
Smite
---
Confession Time!
jRPGs are pretty much the best thing that ever happened to Video Games - Soanevalcke6
#46guedesbrawl(Topic Creator)Posted 2/23/2013 7:27:30 AM
Vigor
---
Confession Time!
jRPGs are pretty much the best thing that ever happened to Video Games - Soanevalcke6
#47KantonosoPosted 2/23/2013 7:35:57 AM
Sain_of_Caelin posted...
Swordfaire- A

Astra- B Great effect, low proc rate holds it back

My thoughts exactly.

Astra is a powerful skill and nothing survives, but it's proc rate is absolutely pathetic. With over 40 skill, I still often only have it land 2-3 times while soloing an entire map. You simply cannot count on it, and have to treat it as a nice bonus. This holds it back BIGTIME. Maybe I'd give it an A if it was 2/3-3/4 skill, but NOT POSSIBLY at 1/2 skill.

Swordfaire, on the other hand? Especially in the case of swordmasters, sword users often have low strength by comparison to heavier brutish classes. Swordfaire helps even this gap, and the high speed basically amounts to +10 damage every time due to doubling, nothing to turn your nose up at!
---
PSN: Ranylyn. Mass Effect 3 Adept/Sentinel/Engineer
Currently Playing: Fire Emblem Awakening. Tactician: Ranylyn
#48electricjet1Posted 2/23/2013 9:13:50 AM
No mention that it works with Tomes also? I know that this is a strictly for Swords topic, but that makes Astra an S despite its low proc rate, imo
#49KantonosoPosted 2/23/2013 9:39:16 AM
electricjet1 posted...
No mention that it works with Tomes also? I know that this is a strictly for Swords topic, but that makes Astra an S despite its low proc rate, imo

All weapons work with all skills (Astra, Sol, etc.)

A low proc is a low proc regardless of weapon. Thus simply being usable with a certain weapon is not nearly enough to bump it's rank up when that applies to ALL weapon/skill combos. If you want to get technical, you can astra with a beaststone or dragonstone too, but that means little when you can use all the other skills regardless of weapon as well.
---
PSN: Ranylyn. Mass Effect 3 Adept/Sentinel/Engineer
Currently Playing: Fire Emblem Awakening. Tactician: Ranylyn
#50ToeppnerPosted 2/23/2013 10:10:58 AM
Astra: S

Do to the fact that it is not weapon specific (works with magic/bows/dragon/etc)

Swordfair: C

Decent yet doesn't have a spot on my end game line up. Its a mediocre gain for something given at such a high level.