I hate losing a unit because it's doing too good.

#1gorgexpressPosted 2/24/2013 4:59:50 PM
Vaike has max hp. He's sitting in hallway one unit wide. Miriel is behind him, and 3 melee units are in front.

It's the enemy's turn. Vaike is only supposed to get hit once, since all 3 units are melee. But despite having no support level with Miriel, she supports him in the counterattack every time. He ends up getting hit 3 times, which is just enough to kill him.

gee gee
#2KantonosoPosted 2/24/2013 5:02:57 PM
I feel your pain, happens to me a lot.

Kant's Law of FE #4:

If the player gets a crit, it's because it will kill an adjacent enemy on their turn, and open more spaces for the enemies to come kill you from. Expecting to crit on your own turn is suicide.

(Laws 1-3 are about "If you can get hit, you will" "If you can miss, you will" and other such RNG screwage.)
---
PSN: Ranylyn. Mass Effect 3 Adept/Sentinel/Engineer
Currently Playing: Fire Emblem Awakening. Tactician: Ranylyn
#3LurkerkillerPosted 2/24/2013 5:06:14 PM
What exactly do you mean "only supposed to get hit once" because that just sounds stupid.

Does it suck when you aren't expecting your support unit to attack? Yes. It's happened multiple times for me.

But just because they have no support rank, they have a 20% chance to strike, assuming the first two happens it still can happen 4% of the time statistically.
---
LoL NA: Lurkerkiller
SC2 NA: Lurkerkiller.301
#4ExcaliburPosted 2/24/2013 5:10:24 PM
This happened to me earlier. Sully was getting a little swarmed, and would have been perfectly fine if she didn't kill anything. But she proceeded to absolutely murder everything that came her way, and she took just enough hits to get killed by the final enemy in the area.

Why not a single one of those enemies went around to attack Donnel or Miriam, I don't know, but I was rather upset.
---
A barrel roll would be unnecessary and dangerous.
#5jayman7Posted 2/24/2013 5:10:44 PM
Lurkerkiller posted...
What exactly do you mean "only supposed to get hit once" because that just sounds stupid.

Does it suck when you aren't expecting your support unit to attack? Yes. It's happened multiple times for me.

But just because they have no support rank, they have a 20% chance to strike, assuming the first two happens it still can happen 4% of the time statistically.

It doesn't only apply to support attacks, and does apply to other Fire Emblems. Basically, if there are a bunch of enemies nearby who only have an attack range of 1, and your unit is in such a position that all but one adjacent spaces are blocked off from the enemy, it's actually to your detriment if you OHKO the enemies if your defense and evade aren't particularly high. Because if you almost-but-not-quite OHKO them on a counterattack, you can kill them on your turn and get healed. If you OHKO them on the counterattack, then the next one will rush in before you can do anything about it.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere