Rate the Skill, Chapter 16: Defender and Aegis.

#1guedesbrawlPosted 2/28/2013 5:34:41 PM
Dedicated to SiegedEagle.

Outdoor Fighter got so many D rank votes (24/28); and some people wanted to rank it lower. I wonder how Indoor Fighter will fare when it's turn comes.

Discipline escaped D rank, but only slightly.

-Skill Ranking-

S Rank:
*Aether (Great Lord,Lv5)
*Veteran (Tactician,Lv1)
*Armsthrift (Mercenary,Lv1)

A Rank:
*Rightful King (Great Lord,Lv15)
*Ignis (Grandmaster,Lv5)
*Rally Spectrum (Grandmaster,Lv15)
*Sol (Hero,Lv5)
*Astra (Swordmaster,Lv5)

B Rank:
*Dual Strike+ (Lord,Lv1)
*Axebreaker (Hero,Lv15)
*Vantage (Myrmidon,Lv10)
*Swordfaire (Swordmaster,Lv15)
*Locktouch (Thief,Lv1)
*Movement +1 (Thief,Lv10)
*Lethality (Assassin,Lv5)
*Lucky Seven (Trickster,Lv5)
*Special Dance (Dancer,Lv15)

C Rank:
*Solidarity (Tactician,Lv10)
*Patience (Mercenary,Lv10)
*Avoid +10 (Myrmidon,Lv1)
*Pass (Assassin,Lv15)
*Acrobat (Trickster,Lv15)
*Discipline (Cavalier,Lv1)

D Rank:
*Charm (Lord,Lv10)
*Luck +4 (Dancer,Lv1)
*Outdoor Fighter (Cavalier,Lv10)
-------------------

Another game without Paladin!Jeigans. As if Sothe wasn't enough already...at least they aren't that much different from Great Knights...and Frederick is actually an Oifey ...oh well.

-------------------

Characters that can learn either skill: Chrom, Frederick, Sully, Stahl, Ricken, Lucina, Brady, Kjelle, Avatar, Morgan.

Characters that can Inherit the skills and the class required: Cynthia (Chrom, Frederick, Avatar), Owain, Inigo, Severa, Gerome, Yarne, Laurent, Noire, Nah.

-------------------

Let's begin! Defender is a supporting skill. Pair up gives stat boosts to the leading unit based on the supporting unit's stats. This skill gives an additional +1 boost to all stats during pair up.

I feel that this skill is best used with the supporting units, since their actions are so very limited when they have that job. It's a decent bonus, not great, not awful. I give it a B rank.

...i'm not sure if this skill also give +1 Movement, but I am assuming it does not.

Aegis is a % skill, but it's not offensive. Whenever it activates, damage from Bows, Tomes (not magic, since things like Levin Swords and Bolt Axes aren't stopped by this, but by Pavise.) and Dragonstones are halved. It's activation formula is Skill%. This does not affect Dual Strikes.

Well, all of those are attack methods focusing on indirect combat, allowing a unit to use a stronger weapon to deal with direct threats while ignoring indirect ones.

Still, bows and magic are not as common as the other weapon types, and there are only 3 cases where you will fight Manaketes too (Streetpass Battles, Young!Tiki's Spotpass Battle and using a Manakete in Paralogue 22); making it's usefulness a little more limited.

It's still very nice to take less damage than you should have, and it's high activation rate is great. I give it an A rank.
---
Confession Time!
jRPGs are pretty much the best thing that ever happened to Video Games - Soanevalcke6
#2SupremeZeroPosted 2/28/2013 5:37:42 PM(edited)
A rank. Magic might be rarer than the melee weapon types, but when it DOES pop up, you REALLY want to be able to defend against it.

Defender is eh. I give it C. I can get the effect twice over WITHOUT pairing up just with All Stats +2. And +1 to all isn't really that amazing.
---
There's always hope for better things in life. But you can't let anything, friend, lover, God himself, be your hope. You have to be your own hope.
#3ellis123Posted 2/28/2013 5:44:28 PM
Defender: C Rank. It's a poor mans "All Stats + 2," which was already just a sweet filler skill. While Defender is available in the actual game, its lowered stats + potential "restriction" (if you can call being Paired up a restriction...) makes it notably worse than any of the straight up damage boosters. The general stats just don't cut it when it's only +1, and there's almost always something better to stick onto a character.

Aegis: A Rank. While it's not able to just completely take over what a character should do in life (which is what the S Rank skills tend to do) it's all but required for many tanky builds. The bonus defense is god-send when it happens, and it has a pretty good activation chance on top of that. Mixed with a solid dodge on a character, it all but makes you immune to Bows, Tomes, and Dragonstones (not exactly that relevant on the last one sadly). Definitely worth it on basically any character you want to be more tanky on the ranged attack side of things.
---
"A shouted order to do something of dubious morality with an unpredictable outcome? Thweeet!"
My FC is in my profile.
#4LurkerkillerPosted 2/28/2013 5:47:33 PM
D rank for Defender.
B rank for Aegis

+1 to all stats besides movement, isn't going to make or break a unit and one of those stats (magic or strength) will never be used. It's not as bad as some of the other current D rank skills, but since there isn't any + or - in ranking this is what I have to go with.

Aegis is nice but I've never been a person who relied on defensive skills and preferred more offensive ones while using Sol as a healer and I normally never have any problems staying alive with how broken so many characters speed growth is in this game.
---
LoL NA: Lurkerkiller
SC2 NA: Lurkerkiller.301
#5Slayerblade11Posted 2/28/2013 5:54:10 PM
Defender- C rank +1 to all stats is barely noticeable.

Aegis- A rank. Tomes/bows are the most dangerous attacking type on higher difficulties. A must have for any reasonably tanky character if they can get it.
#6teh_kyle00Posted 2/28/2013 5:59:00 PM
I would give an A rank to Aegis. Can be very useful for a flying unit with low resistance (pretty much any wyvern rider I have ever had).

C for defender, decent filler skill for early in the game.
---
This signature is lacking in beef.
#7heavylobsterguyPosted 2/28/2013 6:06:52 PM
Defender gets a C rank since the boost it gives really isn't that great.

Aegis gets a B rank since it's nice for units weak to bows and magic, but will become overshadowed when Resistance +10 and Iote's Shield are available. It also isn't something you should rely on.
---
The official Slime of the Super Smash Bros Wii U Boards
You know what they say, the more the merrier!
#8spyke252Posted 2/28/2013 6:11:00 PM
D rank for both. A 60% chance isn't enough to depend on.
#9NidtendofreakPosted 2/28/2013 6:11:19 PM
C/A
---
And so begins a tale of vengeance and betrayal. Destiny by sinner sought. Tragedy by power wrought. Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume.
#10BhelliumPosted 2/28/2013 6:18:41 PM
C/A
---
If Pluto is not a planet Europe is just West Asia.