why the Griffon Rider hate?

#11Ippongi_RyutaPosted 3/2/2013 2:53:43 PM
I'm doing this thing where I want at least one of every promoted class in my party and Griffon Rider is the only class who's not in my party at the moment. =/
---
Currently playing: Fire Emblem: Awakening, Tales of Xillia 2, Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
#12Segmented OdinPosted 3/2/2013 2:56:32 PM
Had a small discussion on this last night, seemed everyone would've preferred bulkier Wyvern Lords instead of what we have for them now, and for Griffon Knights to be the equivalent of FE8's Wyvern Knights, ie with huge str/spd/crit and possible Pierce (Aka Luna).
#13BhelliumPosted 3/2/2013 2:58:22 PM
I find it funny that the same people who will claim that speed is the most important stat in the game will completely dismiss Griffon Rider's spd edge on Wyvern Lords.

It's just weird.

In any event no one hates them, they just... kind of come out of left field and are stuck in that "general purpose" category that is nice but nothing out of this world.
---
If Pluto is not a planet Europe is just West Asia.
#14SupremeZeroPosted 3/2/2013 3:03:01 PM(edited)
Had a small discussion on this last night, seemed everyone would've preferred bulkier Wyvern Lords instead of what we have for them now, and for Griffon Knights to be the equivalent of FE8's Wyvern Knights, ie with huge str/spd/crit and possible Pierce (Aka Luna).

... Wyvern Lords are the bulkiest non-Armored class in the game.

Other than Manakete with Dragonstone bonuses, anyway.
---
There's always hope for better things in life. But you can't let anything, friend, lover, God himself, be your hope. You have to be your own hope.
#15Ari917Posted 3/2/2013 3:10:09 PM(edited)
welkin_g posted...
Wyvern is the better standalone class by a large margin, considering its large Str. and Def. lead, but Griffon is better as a support class. Notwithstanding the +2 Mov skill, Griffon gives +1 Mov along with some luck, str and def. Griffon Rider also has more caps at 40+ than Wyvern, meaning you're likely to get 1 more each of Skl and Spd from having a Griffon as your pair.

In sum, Griffon gives you 1 Mov, 1 Skl, 1 Spd, and 1 Lck more than Wyvern, in exchange for 2 fewer Def and 1 fewer Str. A clear win for Griffon.

Griffon Riders have the same move as Wyvern Lords and while the extra speed is nice, the +1 to luck and skl isn't the best tradeoff for less def and slightly less str.

They really should've gotten swords to set them apart, especially since Falcon Knights lost them for staves.
#16Is_CorruptedPosted 3/2/2013 3:13:04 PM
Because they never played Langrisser games.
---
Marcus is the answer for anything except "best unit who isn't Marcus," but even then he is a strong contender. - PokeAMon
#17welkin_gPosted 3/2/2013 3:18:03 PM
Ari917 posted...
welkin_g posted...
Wyvern is the better standalone class by a large margin, considering its large Str. and Def. lead, but Griffon is better as a support class. Notwithstanding the +2 Mov skill, Griffon gives +1 Mov along with some luck, str and def. Griffon Rider also has more caps at 40+ than Wyvern, meaning you're likely to get 1 more each of Skl and Spd from having a Griffon as your pair.

In sum, Griffon gives you 1 Mov, 1 Skl, 1 Spd, and 1 Lck more than Wyvern, in exchange for 2 fewer Def and 1 fewer Str. A clear win for Griffon.

Griffon Riders have the same move as Wyvern Lords and while the extra speed is nice, the +1 to luck and skl isn't the best tradeoff for less def and slightly less str.

They really should've gotten swords to set them apart, especially since Falcon Knights lost them for staves.

Reading is fundamental, friend. It's also easy. Little children can do it. Go check the part where my post says Griffon gives 1 mov as a bonus.
#18Ari917Posted 3/2/2013 3:24:43 PM(edited)
welkin_g posted...
Ari917 posted...
welkin_g posted...

Reading is fundamental, friend. It's also easy. Little children can do it. Go check the part where my post says Griffon gives 1 mov as a bonus.

Oh I'm sorry for the mix up, but still.1 mov added to the other unit isn't a big issue considering that you're tied to a flier that will probably have 10 mov.
#19welkin_gPosted 3/2/2013 3:29:59 PM
Ari917 posted...
welkin_g posted...
Ari917 posted...
welkin_g posted...

Oh I'm sorry for the mix up, but still.1 mov added to the other unit isn't a big issue considering that you're tied to a flier that will probably have 10 mov.

You do realize there are turns after the first turn, right? Let me break it down for you so even you can understand why being paired doesn't always give you 10 mov. Imagine you are Chrom and you are paired with a Griffon Nowi. You hit something and kill it, now your turn is over. Next turn, do you have 10 mov? No, in order to get Nowi's mov, you have to switch to her and end turn. Do you see where I'm going with this?
#20Ari917Posted 3/2/2013 3:33:03 PM
welkin_g posted...

You do realize there are turns after the first turn, right? Let me break it down for you so even you can understand why being paired doesn't always give you 10 mov. Imagine you are Chrom and you are paired with a Griffon Nowi. You hit something and kill it, now your turn is over. Next turn, do you have 10 mov? No, in order to get Nowi's mov, you have to switch to her and end turn. Do you see where I'm going with this?

Of course I do. Situationally I'll admit it has its uses, but truthfully I never felt the need for that 1 mov over the flier.