Fire Emblem 7 and nostalgia

#41heavylobsterguyPosted 3/3/2013 3:59:35 PM
jonnovision1 posted...
Jstretch19 posted...
Somewhere in between option 2 and 3. Its one of the better FEs but its about equal to Awakening.

Tatakai-No-Kami posted...
very solid game overall, and its hard to say that its not the best fire emblem.

No its not. The story in FE7 was lackluster, its support system was awful, and it didn't really do anything with the gameplay between FE6 and 7 other than make it more balanced.

how is the support system "awful".

You put two characters next two each other, spam end turn 10 times, and get a support. If you didn't do this then it was unlikely that you would reach A support by the end of the game. Many times I would go through the game with only a handful of supports because of this flawed system.

I can nitpick more flaws about the game if you want.
---
The official Slime of the Super Smash Bros Wii U Boards
You know what they say, the more the merrier!
#42PrincessTsukiPosted 3/3/2013 4:02:23 PM
Cactuar512 posted...
PrincessTsuki posted...
Can we stop using numbers and just say "Path of Radiance"? Is that really too hard?

Yes. The numbers aren't that hard to identify.

That explains why I only know 1, 7, 12 and 13.
#43NidtendofreakPosted 3/3/2013 4:17:38 PM(edited)
Go to Serenes Forest

Look at the bar on the left.

Look at the boxes with numbers on the left.

Those are the numbers for those games.
---
And so begins a tale of vengeance and betrayal. Destiny by sinner sought. Tragedy by power wrought. Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume.
#44DemiseEndPosted 3/3/2013 4:19:14 PM
squareshrub posted...
Cactuar512 posted...
squareshrub posted...
Cactuar512 posted...
squareshrub posted...
I love FE7

I think FE4 is the best but FE7 was the first I played and it was awesome

FE 4 was pretty great, but the pairing system in that game is arguably even worse than the one in this game.

how so?

Well, it was either your pairings broke the game in the 2nd part or you got clobbered for horrible pairings.

it did require intricate planning beforehand, but im sure a lot of people did that (to a lesser degree) for Awakening.

The only pairings you REALLY need is:

1. pre made(Seliph, Leaf)
2. Basically pre made(Sety)
3. Can goes either way(Dancer)
4. Jeigan(Finn, because WTF you need Oifaye?)
5. Hard to screw at what she does(Lana)

Maybe add Brave Lance Fee around there somewhere(Finn wield Iron if only for EXP for Leaf)

You can screw up, i must admit, but gen 2 actually put up enough ensurance should you.... well screw up(Shanan and Aless)

If theres ANYTHING that is worse in 4, its how the pairing is attained, and the fact that GEN 2 characters and story is FREAKING TERRIBLE

FE4 make the best comparison for FE13. it has good and promising set up in their first part, and they failed hard in the second part. As much as people complained about how the characters are not human, or how the marriage is unrealistic, its much better than FE4 which is filled with bland characters, one of them being SOOOOOO inconsistent because IS love him way too much, and so many questionable stuff all around(Aless, Lester, i lost counts, im definitely looking at you)

As for FE7, IMO it has the best "ballance" in the series considering that it is basically in the middle. Rescue is in, it basically no longer has the Jugdral influence(read: IS finally learned to ballance their game) other than the fact that they copied Lex, Leif, Nanna, Lachesis, maybe Asvel, Julia etc

Gameplay wise, i don't know about the Tellius, but FE7 is the only game that i remembered that have amusing Gaiden requirements, if only because of their amazingly designed dessert chapter(tell me, how many game has "Saving the enemy" as your objectives?)

As for story, ehh 70% filler as far as FE6 is considered, some FE6 inconsistencies maybe, but other than that i don't have that much of a problem with it. Story wise, it is a MUCH better example of how to do a pre/mid quel than Thracia 776
---
Real Metal bounces their breast. Deal with it
#45emagdnEPosted 3/3/2013 4:27:21 PM
what is up with the fans of Nintendo's more recent work trying to suggest that people only hate it and view Nintendo's older work better because of "nostalgia"?

Blazing Sword is actually a great game and Fire Emblem actually went downhill afterwards, it's not ****ing nostalgia, the poor design choices in SS, PoR, RD, Shadow Dragon, New Mystery, and Awakening are pretty damn blatant, most notably the part where they took out all the difficulty

why can't you people just accept that Iwata took Nintendo in a new direction, and that many longtime Nintendo fans ****ing hate it?
---
I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy... All right, give me the bomb. -Ultra Magnus
#46WestbrickIIIPosted 3/3/2013 4:28:02 PM
heavylobsterguy posted...
You put two characters next two each other, spam end turn 10 times, and get a support. If you didn't do this then it was unlikely that you would reach A support by the end of the game.

This isn't true. For the vast majority of the supports, A-Ranks are acquirable without turn grinding. It takes commitment, yes, but that just adds to the strategic component.

The problem with FE7's system is that it's difficult to build up supports. The problem with the Radiant system is that building up supports is effortless. Awakening is a nice balance.
#47heavylobsterguyPosted 3/3/2013 4:49:44 PM
Blazing Sword's method of raising support is a step down from Holy War's, a game that came before it. There were different ways to increase love in Holy War, like talking, sending out units in the same chapter, and putting units next to each other. The GBA games only had putting units next to each other to increase supports. They decided to take a steps backwards in boosting relationships for some reason (and that's not the only step backwards they took). Path of Radiance did fix this thankfully, and seeing A supports between multiple characters in one playthrough was actually possible.
---
The official Slime of the Super Smash Bros Wii U Boards
You know what they say, the more the merrier!
#48WestbrickIIIPosted 3/3/2013 4:53:16 PM
heavylobsterguy posted...
Blazing Sword's method of raising support is a step down from Holy War's, a game that came before it. There were different ways to increase love in Holy War, like talking, sending out units in the same chapter, and putting units next to each other. The GBA games only had putting units next to each other to increase supports. They decided to take a steps backwards in boosting relationships for some reason (and that's not the only step backwards they took). Path of Radiance did fix this thankfully, and seeing A supports between multiple characters in one playthrough was actually possible.

I don't disagree, but that doesn't make FE7's system bad; as I already mentioned, most all of FE7's A-Rank supports are feasible without turn grinding. It was just done better in FE4/13.
#49DemiseEndPosted 3/3/2013 4:57:21 PM
I know I should not bother, but how did

This
"New Mystery'
"Took out all the difficulty"

Logic
"FE 1, 3
"Difficult"

Works
---
Real Metal bounces their breast. Deal with it