Great Knight, Paladin, or General?

#1578t7645uyb5Posted 3/7/2013 5:10:55 AM(edited)
I'm making a tank Kjelle, now General would seem to be the most obvious choice... but you see..their movement is low and they are weak to magic.

Great Knights have huge DEF but are weak to beast, armour, and magic.. so that screws them over.

Paladins are somewhat balanced but their stats aren't really spectacular (I think?)

Assuming I have these 5 skills:

Sol
Pavise
Aegis
Renewal
Counter

Which class would be the best for an all-purpose tank? I'm on Lunatic mode btw.
---
Xenoblade is the spiritual successor of FF12.
999 and Zero Escape both deserve are Visual Novels to DIE for.
#2WebbOMGPosted 3/7/2013 5:07:06 AM(edited)
578t7645uyb5 posted...
I'm making a tank Kjelle, now General would seem to be the most obvious choice... but you see..their movement is low and they are weak to magic.

Great Knights have huge DEF but are weak to beast, armour, and magic.. so that screws them over.

Paladins are somewhat balanced but their stats aren't really spectacular (I think?)

Assuming I have these 5 skills:

Sol
Pavise
Aegis
Renewal
Counter

Which class would be the best for an all-purpose tank?

Drop Counter. How much damaged are you going to reflect with 53ish defense? And who is the father? I'm quite happy with my visually appealing and Risen stomping Donnel!Kjelle General with:

Armsthrift/Filler
Lancefaire
Renewal
Galeforce
Luna/Sol
#3578t7645uyb5(Topic Creator)Posted 3/7/2013 5:06:38 AM(edited)
Gregor is the father.

That aside, what class should I pick? :S
---
#4SazukeEXPosted 3/7/2013 5:08:05 AM
As a tank the General is best. If you're that worried than pair her with her lover and have them carry Deliverer. Hell, make them a Paladin. General's movement and Res issues are no longer issues.
---
Hector x Farina - OTP of FE.
#5Sparks97Posted 3/7/2013 5:08:22 AM
Generals really aren't "weak to magic." They generally have low resistance, but you can still achieve decent resistance as a General.
#6578t7645uyb5(Topic Creator)Posted 3/7/2013 5:10:14 AM
I'm kind of leaning on General simply because it really does fit the tank role the most, and it just suits Kjelle the most too.

That and the only other General on my entire roster is Kellam..
---
#7WebbOMGPosted 3/7/2013 5:11:01 AM
That's disappointing. Drop Counter for Vantage (one is near worthless, the other will keep you alive forever) and consider dropping Pavise for something else as well unless you're bent on the tank theme. If you ARE, I recommend making her a General (her canon class with a unique model). Otherwise make her a Paladin for their fantastic pair up modifiers and 8 movement.
#8welkin_gPosted 3/7/2013 5:18:10 AM
Sparks97 posted...
Generals really aren't "weak to magic." They generally have low resistance, but you can still achieve decent resistance as a General.

By the same token, you can still achieve decent defense as a paladin. A general has 8 more def at cap than a pally, but 7 fewer res. So are they about even? Not really, as the general has 5 speed less, giving them 7 fewer avoid and the possibility of being doubled with a -speed modifier. Plus the move issue.
#9welkin_gPosted 3/7/2013 5:22:01 AM
578t7645uyb5 posted...
I'm kind of leaning on General simply because it really does fit the tank role the most, and it just suits Kjelle the most too.

That and the only other General on my entire roster is Kellam..

If you want tanks, go with your three manaketes. You are looking at 53 Def, 49 Res, and 40 Speed before modifiers, plus a purchasable 1-2 weapon and they are outside the weapons triangle. They are superior tanks to generals in every way.
#10WebbOMGPosted 3/7/2013 5:25:18 AM
If we are being honest here, past mid-game Generals mainly exist for preference and fun. They're far from top tier.

But I still love my General Kjelle.

Related note: it's a shame Kjelle can't learn Res +10. I'd take that over Aegis any day.