What are games like FE, but with a more complex story?

#1XslushieXPosted 3/7/2013 2:28:48 PM
First off, I really like the Fire Emblem series. The strategy system is nicely polished and just complex enough without being tedious. I also like the stories. They're quaint. The game really feels like eating a chocolate chip cookie. All goodness and sweetness.

That said, are there any games that take the same type of gameplay to incorporate something deeper in the storytelling? Advanced Wars was OK, but not exactly what I'm looking for.
#2qynveePosted 3/7/2013 2:30:04 PM
Valkyria Chronicles
#3almostexactlyPosted 3/7/2013 2:30:25 PM
I suppose you can try Tactics Ogre (Final Fantasy Tactics too). They're also SRPGs and their story focus is less on characters and more on wide ranging political in-fighting and larger powers trying to outmaneuver each other.
#4qynveePosted 3/7/2013 2:32:55 PM
Yes, I also second FFT War of the Lions and Grimoire of the Rift. They have polished gameplay and a somewhat better story than FE.
#5mycousinvinniePosted 3/7/2013 2:34:07 PM
for the GBA there is zone of the enders the second runner
#6Huff n puff 20Posted 3/7/2013 2:35:03 PM
mycousinvinnie posted...
for the GBA there is zone of the enders Fist of Mars

TSR is a PS2 game.

FoM is the GBA game. And it's kinda bad.
---
Think a NEXT will save you from BETA? Think again.
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8572968/1/Project-Ignition
#7AegisAngelPosted 3/7/2013 2:39:02 PM(edited)
Yggdra Union is considerable as well, IMO.

EDIT: Try Nippon Ichi games too. I loved games like La Pucelle, Phantom Brave, and Disgaea.
#8Is_CorruptedPosted 3/7/2013 2:37:42 PM
Zone of the enders has a guy who looks like a chick so you won't be lost plot-wise.

Try Tactics Ogre: Let us cling together.
---
Marcus is the answer for anything except "best unit who isn't Marcus," but even then he is a strong contender. - PokeAMon
#9katellaPosted 3/7/2013 2:38:36 PM
Valkyria chronicles is always the answer in any strategy game seeking topic. Give it a try! Its on the ps3, the second one isnt as good and its on the psp >.> the third one is japanese only and is the best in the series imo, that is if youve learned japanese. Luckily for me, its my nationality so any japanese game is playable though theyre so expensive for importing :C
---
If ignorance is bliss, you must be orgasmic~
If I exist, female gamer's exist, deal with it.
#10almostexactlyPosted 3/7/2013 2:40:36 PM
Valkyria Chronicles is great but the level of complexity in the story is about on par with Fire Emblem. Like eating a chocolate chip cookie. All sweetness and goodness.

Do give Valkyria Chronicles a try if you're hankering for that kind of mood though.