What are games like FE, but with a more complex story?

#21arvilinoPosted 3/7/2013 2:20:46 PM
chunkyshtew posted...
qynvee posted...
Yes, I also second FFT War of the Lions and Grimoire of the Rift. They have polished gameplay and a somewhat better story than FE.

Story wise I think Awakening had more depth than FFTA and Grimoire of the Rift. Story was pretty poor in that one in my opinion. I found Marche to be quite bland for a protagonist

Grimoire of the rift is also a iffy when it comes the game play. There's 300 missions, but about 80-90% of those can be essentially completed(or atleast cleared of all enemies) without moving the starting position on the map since enemies aren't very aggressive and Illusionists spells hitting all enemies on the map.
#22GeekyDadPosted 3/7/2013 2:24:25 PM
qynvee posted...
Yes, I also second FFT War of the Lions and Grimoire of the Rift. They have polished gameplay and a somewhat better story than FE.

Somewhat better? I can't speak for GotR, but War of the Lions is arguably the best story in a video game when you consider its amazingly polished translation.

Valkyrie Profile Covenant of the Plume is definitely a close second. Amazing story, excellent gameplay, which is probably closer in style to FE than any other SRPG out there. Like FE, you mostly have to agro enemies and set up units strategically.
---
"The hardcore you've been waiting for!"
#23ExcaliburPosted 3/7/2013 6:44:30 PM
Is_Corrupted posted...
I'm still mad at Yoyo.

And that's how you know the game has a good story. You're SUPPOSED to have those feelings about Yoyo. (And yeah, I kinda agree.)
---
A barrel roll would be unnecessary and dangerous.
#24WestbrickIIIPosted 3/7/2013 6:49:01 PM
FFT's story takes a nosedive late in the game, but it's still good. As far as great sRPG stories go, the two best I've come across are Zone of the Enders: Fist of Mars and Tactics Ogre.

And seriously, who plays SRW for the story?
#25SolnuaPosted 3/7/2013 6:50:17 PM
Hodou posted...
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor.

I can't believe I'm the first to mention it.

I definitely recommend this game. It's certainly a different sort of SRPG (attacking a unit will enter a "classic RPG" battle that lasts for one round), but it is an excellent game. The units and party composition is highly customizable, and the story is definitely more complex than Fire Emblem. Currently, there are two separate Devil Survivor games in the US, both for the DS with a port of the first one for the 3DS that added in voices.

Don't expect it to be too similar to Fire Emblem, though. I would watch a few gameplay videos to get a feel for if you want to buy it. I would highly recommend it, though.
---
"True, Gregor just finish killing former employers, but still very reliable!"