Will having defense as a flaw affect you badly?

#1legendriderPosted 3/9/2013 9:19:52 AM
Pretty much as the title say's....
Does having defense as your flaw affect you badly.

I'm planning on having speed as my asset
but debating whether to go for resistance as a flaw or defense
I kinda wanted to go with resistance but i didn't want to diminish the magic stat, so I was debating defense.....but defense seems important.

So, is defense a bad flaw choice...well.....would it affect you badly?
---
Don't play to win, play for fun. Love playing games with people, that's why I love Wi-Fi
3DS: 1203-9417-6170, PSN: Trixster196
#2PKRockin531Posted 3/9/2013 9:21:23 AM
Asset/Flaw doesn't matter on Normal or Hard.
You don't want -Def on Lunatic because MU will struggle early on.
Lunatic+ -Def is fine as most enemies will have Luna+
---
www.youtube.com/user/PKLucas531
#3WolfJouninPosted 3/9/2013 9:22:04 AM
Not for me, and I went that exact build of +Speed - Defense. Point for me was to maximize an Assassin's speed without harming its skill.
---
Everything in life is a battle. Even peace itself is a battle to maintain it.
#4legendrider(Topic Creator)Posted 3/9/2013 9:22:45 AM
PKRockin531 posted...
Asset/Flaw doesn't matter on Normal or Hard.
You don't want -Def on Lunatic because MU will struggle early on.
Lunatic+ -Def is fine as most enemies will have Luna+

aha.....I see, thank you
So early on, the MU would suffer.....I suppose I could live with that
---
Don't play to win, play for fun. Love playing games with people, that's why I love Wi-Fi
3DS: 1203-9417-6170, PSN: Trixster196
#5The_Evil_ElfPosted 3/9/2013 9:23:21 AM
The truth is, I think the only real consideration comes into play if you are playing Lunatic+ (and def as a flaw would probably be impossible...literally...) or in thinking about Morgan...

As far as Morgan, the only reason it would hamper you is street pass, and I'm not sure there...
---
Blizzard crits you for $15
Your login is resisted by Blizzard-Slash585
#6KorchukPosted 3/9/2013 9:23:35 AM
http://serenesforest.net/fe13/char_growth.html#myunit
Important thing to note is more than just the named stat is effected by an asset or flaw.

+Speed/-Defense is probably the best possible one, it improves speed, which lets you double and avoid enemy doubles, improves skill which affects accuracy, crit, and skill proc rates, and doesn't decrease any offensive stats.

Having a defense penalty will make you take a bit more damage in general, particularly from physical, but it's nowhere near as bad as an HP flaw, and having Speed, Strength, or Magic decreased for any reason will have it's lameness show very early.

The only other configuation I see that fits these criteria is +Mag/-Res, very conservative and has almost no effects at all.
#7The_Evil_ElfPosted 3/9/2013 9:24:46 AM
To the guy who said -Def would be fine on lunatic+, I would have to say are you crazy? Half of the strategy in lunatic+ is creeps suiciding into the MU, and he would get TORN UP with
-def
---
#8KorchukPosted 3/9/2013 9:26:17 AM
The_Evil_Elf posted...
To the guy who said -Def would be fine on lunatic+, I would have to say are you crazy? Half of the strategy in lunatic+ is creeps suiciding into the MU, and he would get TORN UP with
-def

Except not, at those levels you need to be outright killing or not getting attacked in the first place. Enemies all having Luna and such means you basically will get oneshotted regardless, they're ignoring your defense.
#9PKRockin531Posted 3/9/2013 9:28:49 AM
-def

Most accounts I've seen talking about Lunatic+ you'd just abuse Nosferatu anyways so it doesn't seem like a big deal when they're ignoring half of your defense anyways. And considering he can reclass to Dark Mage and Nosferatu is buyable from Merric's SpotPass(or someone in SD) he can do that from Ch 4.
---
www.youtube.com/user/PKLucas531
#10The_Evil_ElfPosted 3/9/2013 12:33:39 PM
Lunatic+ is a joke after chapter 4 with grinding...but you get attacked TONS in the first few chapters as the MU and need to be able to take hits...if someone could beat chapters 1/2 with -def I would love to see it...
---