Fire Emblem Gaiden

#1thefinaloraclePosted 3/10/2013 1:14:47 PM
Is it actually that bad of a game?

Would it actually be a good game if it got remade up to current day standards?

I'm thinking about trying it and I want to see if it is worth the effort according to you guys.
---
College takes away all of your time to play videogames :'(
Official Archer dude of the Agito XIII Board
#2PKRockin531Posted 3/10/2013 1:22:50 PM
You know how some people complain about Sacred Stones and Awakening being trivialized by grinding, poor map design, weak enemies, strong characters, easily abusable, etc?

That's Gaiden.

You have to go in with the mindset that it's an NES game(and only the 2nd game in the series), and it did have some big stuff for the series compared to FE1 like a World Map, towns, branched promotions, things like that.

Don't expect any memorable maps as they're mostly a big square with random terrain thrown around (kinda like this game huehuehue)
---
www.youtube.com/user/PKLucas531
#3simcopter1Posted 3/10/2013 1:26:11 PM
Um.

I didn't think it was terrible, but it is easily the worst game in the series. It has clunky controls, uninspired map design, sub-par music, and very few of the characters have any personality to speak of. It also suffers from 'NES Sequel Syndrome' where there is a fairly radical departure from the original's gameplay out of a desire to try new things, and as such it plays more like a Shining Force game than a Fire Emblem game (see also: The Adventure of Link, Super Mario Bros. 2, Simon's Quest, Final Fantasy II).

It still has some really neat ideas, and I really hope it gets remade at some point. To me, it felt like a game that was crying out against the constraints of its own time, as if it had so much it wanted to do but couldn't because of hardware limitations.

Also, the few lines of dialogue you do get are pretty neat. One of my favourite scenes in entire series is the exchange Alm has with Celica when he arrives at the final battle.

So yeah. Give it a shot. I recommend activating the 'easy' mode just to make the game less tedious.
---
Liber Quod Purpureus
#4Is_CorruptedPosted 3/10/2013 1:42:51 PM
thefinaloracle posted...
Is it actually that bad of a game?

Would it actually be a good game if it got remade up to current day standards?

I'm thinking about trying it and I want to see if it is worth the effort according to you guys.

It's not that bad of a game, it just lacks level design (which this game lacks too) and requires a bit of grinding, but on easy mode the exp gain is good enough to reduce this considerably.

It'd definitely be a good base model for a new FE, with town/dungeon exploration, managing two teams and all the neat ideas it has. A direct remake? Not sure about that one.

Trying it is worth the experience I guess.
---
Marcus is the answer for anything except "best unit who isn't Marcus," but even then he is a strong contender. - PokeAMon
#5emagdnEPosted 3/10/2013 1:56:31 PM
it's basically Awakening for the NES (and I do mean this in the worst way possible), but the grinding is manditory

hell, Priests even have Resire/Nosferatu! it's inaccurate as hell though

and hell, there's even infinite leveling for Villagers/Mercenaries! pretty sure it's a bug, but Magic Knights or whatever they were called can promote to Villager, which can promote to Mercenary, which promotes to Magic Knight, which promotes to Villager.....
---
I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy... All right, give me the bomb. -Ultra Magnus
#6MarioLinkGenofaPosted 3/10/2013 2:07:15 PM
It has pretty poor map design, which isn't too bad considering it was a NES game. The clunk factor can be blamed on the NES as well. Needless to say, the only thing worth noting of this game is the endgame map theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vrC6BPXhlE

Congrats, you've now played Fire Emblem Gaiden.
---
ROW ROW Fight Da powah
Cheap is an idiots word for effective.
#7emagdnEPosted 3/10/2013 2:12:33 PM
FE1 had much better chapter design than Gaiden, so that "well, it was a NES game!" excuse isn't going to fly
---
I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy... All right, give me the bomb. -Ultra Magnus