FEA: "Don't hate me because I do it differently"

#1WebbOMGPosted 3/15/2013 5:48:22 PM(edited)
To the FE elitists who keep complaining that "new Fire Emblem isn't like old Fire Emblem," while this is true and I have a few complaints, like anyone else who played multiple other FEs, the series exists to entertain and to create revenue. No, this isn't played exactly like the Fire Emblems of old. Is it still a good game? Absolutely.

No one is forcing you to grind until all your characters are stat capped. And a lot of people (like myself) have issues with the difficulty in doing so in previous FEs. For me, FE 7-9 was a battle where I constantly soft reset for stat scumming because I am so OCD that I lose sleep at night if I fear any of my beloved characters may become 'ruined.' This consumed many hours of my life and was a huge frustration.

IS is doing with Awakening the same thing that SquareEnix did with FF13; they are straying from the tried and true formula in an attempt to broaden the franchise's appeal (and revenue). Fire Emblem is evolving and unfortunately some people, like Westbrick, may be disappointed and frustrated by the fact that you can no longer call FE a "true" strategy game with perfect balance and etc. in their eyes.

Awakening is a little different and like I said I have my complaints and I hope some issues are addressed in future titles, but I'm on board for giving the player more options such as the ability to level until all stats are capped (which the player can freely choose not to take advantage of).
#2bluerulerPosted 3/15/2013 5:42:26 PM
Each new fire emblem is unique, they all don't follow the exact same formula, except maybe if theres a sequel of one.

You can't say one is true FE and another isn't, they bounce around way too much.

Thats why i love this series, each one is a wonderful different flavor, even SD
---
Without Inspiration We Are Nothing More Than Statues
#3KitsuKitsuPosted 3/15/2013 5:44:19 PM
Are you kidding most people LOVE this game. So far it's gotten almost nothing but good critical responses. And Judgral fanbase is Judgral fanbase; basically lol @ their opinion. They still think Thracia is worse than FE12 lunatic reverse.
#4WebbOMG(Topic Creator)Posted 3/15/2013 5:46:38 PM
This topic is primarily aimed towards the strategy game elitists. I've been labeling a gaming elitist myself before and I understand the frustration that comes with watching things change in a way that I disagree with, but more people need to understand why the changes are being made and that it's not always a great idea for everything to remain so... "niche."
#5KitsuKitsuPosted 3/15/2013 5:50:31 PM
WebbOMG posted...
This topic is primarily aimed towards the strategy game elitists. I've been labeling a gaming elitist myself before and I understand the frustration that comes with watching things change in a way that I disagree with, but more people need to understand why the changes are being made and that it's not always a great idea for everything to remain so... "niche."

You mean the Judgrali fanbase? I told you, those guys are lol. Don't bother with their opinions, almost all of it is completely moot. I mean, they STILL think Thracia is harder than FE12 lunatic reverse. STILL.
#6ToadmodePosted 3/15/2013 5:53:01 PM
I'm just glad they did away with some of the linearity. JRPG's need to do away with that, we have other media for definite storylines. The unique thing about video games is how the player interacts with the world, and how varied those interactions can be.
#7OhHiRenanPosted 3/15/2013 5:54:29 PM
Awakening is for people who don't like Fire Emblem.
---
http://i.imgur.com/KxJQD.jpg
#8bluerulerPosted 3/15/2013 5:55:21 PM
Toadmode posted...
I'm just glad they did away with some of the linearity. JRPG's need to do away with that, we have other media for definite storylines. The unique thing about video games is how the player interacts with the world, and how varied those interactions can be.

I agree with you there. I LOVE open ended games, it adds such a satisfying experience
---
Without Inspiration We Are Nothing More Than Statues
#9MIssDevilingPosted 3/15/2013 6:25:12 PM
Toadmode posted...

Gotta disagree with you. Linearity is necessary for plot concentration, and letting the player distract his/herself from the plot for too long may not be the goal for many games. Some people don't like focusing on story, but others do. I dislike playing open-ended games because I tend to drift away from doing what's important, and then lose momentum from the plot. Not to say that they are bad; in fact, there are so many well made open-ended RPGs, but it's not to everyone's taste. An example from FE:A would be just after chapter 9, when the first Anna sidequest shows up. The problem was that I did it before chapter 10 (the sad chapter), and diving into chapter 10 I was like, "Oh yeah, that's what was happening. And I'm supposed to be sad." Open-endedness is not always a good thing. I would have preferred it if they stuck the Anna chapter at another point.

Of course, too much linearity is just boring, but for plot-heavy games, it's quite necessary.
---
http://keilis.deviantart.com
#10sjk9000Posted 3/15/2013 6:27:21 PM
Toadmode posted...

What do you mean? I mean, you can do the paralogues and xenologues pretty much whenever after you unlock them, but they're all sidestories with no impact on the main plot, so player choice is irrelevant there. The rest of the story unfurls on a strict railroad regardless of the player's input. The only place they can actually interact with the world is at the very end of the game, when they're presented with a choice of two epilogues.

I don't personally see linearity as a problem, but I am curious as to how you feel Awakening "solved" it.