How hard did you all find Hard Mode?

#31ItIsAPsyBorgPosted 3/17/2013 3:11:49 PM
As someone who is an FE vet, first played on Hard, and is transferring to Lunatic:

It'd be like a Normal difficulty in any other FE (grinding not assumed) if this game didn't have poor map design and thoughtlessly created same-turn-attack reinforcements.

Lunatic should be the "just right mode", but the aforementioned flaws with this game make it so that about 3-5 levels of grinding your first few characters are required and resetting is more frequent than in most other FEs. Let's be honest, you can't predict on the first playthrough of a map that a Valkyrie will be able to immediately attack your Pegasus Knight with Rexcalibur 10 squares from a relatively arbitrary starting point.
#32silver123456789Posted 3/17/2013 3:12:22 PM
hard is pretty hard. i havent done any paralogues or random battles and am on the lava chapter now. everyones around lvl 4-6, but enemies have better stats/weapons than me. money is an issue for me and reinforcements are always a pain. and i made tharja into a dark knight thinking she could still use nosferatu. oh well.
---
www.chaoscoalition.net
#33silver123456789Posted 3/17/2013 3:15:10 PM
It'd be like a Normal difficulty in any other FE (grinding not assumed) if this game didn't have poor map design and thoughtlessly created same-turn-attack reinforcements.

not even close. hard in awakening is much harder than normal mode of all other fire emblems if you dont grind. in pretty much all other fire emblems, characters could tank hits like crazy. you cant take many hits in awakening and ranged enemies now are a real threat unlike other games. map design may be poor to you but that can add to difficulty so that cant be used as an excuse for why you find it tough. reinforcements are cheap though.
---
www.chaoscoalition.net
#34lDPlPosted 3/17/2013 3:20:37 PM
Easy way to beat Hard mode:

Step 1) Make a +DEF -LCK MU
Step 2) Pair up MU and Chrom
Step 3) Duo the first few (2-3) chapters
Step 4) Unequip MU, use him to tank.
Step 5) Lure enemies one by one and let your other units kill them
Step 6) Rinse and repeat until your units are strong enough to take care of themselves.
Step 7) Win

No Fred required. Make sure to ditch Lissa and squishy-as-**** Ricken/Mariabelle asap, you can use Lissa to spam heals at the start but she becomes useless after Rescuing Ricken/Maribelle. Staves suck, don't use them.
---
Mmm, this jerked chicken is good. I think I'll have Fry's lower horn jerked.
It's used to it! Woooo!
#35ellis123Posted 3/17/2013 3:21:27 PM
While harder than most of the other Fire Emblem's hard modes, it's still a pretty easy experience. After the first 2-3 maps it was a complete breeze.
---
"A shouted order to do something of dubious morality with an unpredictable outcome? Thweeet!"
My FC is in my profile.
#36wolfei132Posted 3/17/2013 3:44:11 PM
the challenge is pretty good during the early chapters, pair up and promotions kind of wreck the difficulty though, starting around chapter 12 or 13. playing without pairing up whatsoever would probably keep the challenge pretty consistent, but i havent gotten to the point where i'm promoting units yet in my no pair-up hard mode file.
#37silver123456789Posted 3/17/2013 4:10:21 PM
i didnt start pairing up until i was forced to in chapter 11 due to rush of the boss and reinforcements. i have paired up about 5 times in the 19 chapters so far. its nuts without pairing since enemies stats are higher.
---
www.chaoscoalition.net
#38spealfan444Posted 3/17/2013 4:14:04 PM
I grinded my units on EXPonential Growth, but not too much. So my unit's levels are just right.
---
These boards are a creature of Chaos, they may take many incarnations.
#39NotS0Hot_Posted 3/17/2013 4:37:41 PM
My avatar and her husband Chrom along with their son and daughter slaughter any who dare come close to them. Lunatic is more challenging for me.
#40brielski2468Posted 3/17/2013 4:46:02 PM
My avatar died on the third turn in the Prologue...
lol
---
"It's not a question of can or can't. There are some things in life you just do." -Claire Farron-