What is the point of archers?

#41RPGNinja123Posted 3/17/2013 10:37:17 PM
Any true FE fan always uses at least 1 archer
---
Official RPGNinja123 of GameFAQs boards.
#42LaPlaceTransforPosted 3/17/2013 10:37:38 PM
In Awakening, nothing really sadly. Maybe if Longbows were more readily available they may see a little bit of use.
#43tokko1234Posted 3/17/2013 10:50:40 PM
fodder. they're used for fodder. need to lure out a strong enemy send the archer. he can die no big deal
#44Emperor_mateusPosted 3/18/2013 1:37:16 AM
I always liked archers, but I know they aren't known as the best class, still fe12 did an extremely good job with them.

The main problem with archers is in my opinion that their niche is unnecessary. They're supposed to chip from a distance so others can take the enemy out without taking a counter. Unfortunately the enemy is usually too weak for them to be needed.

Fe12 made archers good because enemies where actually threatening, dodging was a lot harder so people would usually take a counter and mages could't work as avoid tanks anymore and there where a lot of annoying fliers to snipe.

Also they had extremely good promotion gains with 8 hp, 2 strength, 5 skill, 5 speed and 3 defence.
---
..Gwaar... Haaaarr... Haaaaaa... Shoulda brought... more priests... Or some... babies... Dang...
#45P_SaffronPosted 3/18/2013 1:57:01 AM
Emperor_mateus posted...
I always liked archers, but I know they aren't known as the best class, still fe12 did an extremely good job with them.

The main problem with archers is in my opinion that their niche is unnecessary. They're supposed to chip from a distance so others can take the enemy out without taking a counter. Unfortunately the enemy is usually too weak for them to be needed.

Fe12 made archers good because enemies where actually threatening, dodging was a lot harder so people would usually take a counter and mages could't work as avoid tanks anymore and there where a lot of annoying fliers to snipe.

Also they had extremely good promotion gains with 8 hp, 2 strength, 5 skill, 5 speed and 3 defence.

No, Archers still sucked. 5 move and bad bases in addition to being locked to 2 range. They were also outclassed by Hunters. Furthermore, once you got Merric, Excalibur > Bow effective damage for the entire game.

Snipers were good though. For the reasons you mentioned.

Plus they had a 29 Speed cap compared to the 25 Speed cap of magic users, so they could double pretty much everything while magic users could only double Generals. Love the usefulness of Snipers in FE12.
#46vicious_quanPosted 3/18/2013 2:00:14 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#47DemiseEndPosted 3/18/2013 2:01:18 AM
saturn_frogurt posted...
Archers are great if you play the game the way it was meant to be played instead of that LTC rubbish.

I played the game casually

Archer still sucks, and still has no enemy phase
Archer still can't be put on random position for free kills
Archer still gain exp on snail pace
And for FE1 Archer still sucks compared to and because of Marth. Ironically Marth is supposed to be a redeeming chance for Archer

If you want to hate Ltc at least use a logical reason
---
Real Metal bounces their breast. Deal with it
#48Primum_MobilePosted 3/18/2013 2:12:34 AM(edited)
saturn_frogurt posted...
Archers are great if you think they are great and ignore everyone else who tells you otherwise.

fix'd
---
I need a sharp instrument... or blunt, blunt is good, too.
- Chisame Hasegawa, Negima (Del Rey TL)
#49Suffer_NotPosted 3/21/2013 5:50:51 AM
The thing I remember about Archers (besides the obvious) is that they had pretty high Defense gain/max. I seem to remember Shinon having more average defense at each level than Oscar and Boyd, despite them being up front fighters. You could rely on him to be an aggro tank if you needed him to.

Meanwhile, Virion isn't even a good tank if you make him a Wyvern Rider. Cordelia ends up with more average defense and health than him and she's a Pegasus Knight :/
---
http://i.imgur.com/7Wah6.jpg
I'm actually incredibly overly passionate and...whats the word...viscous? - EltoniaX
#50HonzouPosted 3/21/2013 5:57:24 AM
Archers are in this game to prove how badass you are.

If your archer is good then your are badass, if your archer is bad then... go back home wimp and try again. :P

But seriously, if archers feel too off for ya then I suggest using other units that can use bows.
---
The All Father has bequeath me the gift of battle. So now I bequeath you my spear through your heart.
The official Eligor of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board